Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   B & B's at Outer Banks (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/b-and-bs-at-outer-banks-701563/)

judieann May 1st, 2007 09:48 AM

B & B's at Outer Banks

My husband and I will be going to Outer Banks first time end of June for 3 days mid week. We're most interested in seeing the sights, the beaches, the natural environment, and eating good seafood. Any recommendations for a good B & B...we're looking for a nice experience and will pay, but top of the line luxury not necessary. Thanks.

alds May 16th, 2007 12:37 PM

hoping someone will answer - I am also interested

wliwl May 16th, 2007 05:51 PM

I can't recall seeing any B&Bs there. It's not like a lot of people actually LIVE there - well, some do, but most of the houses are rented out.

You can try the Sanderling Inn in Duck if you're looking for something other than a house.

In Manteo (which is not really on the ocean) there are some inns - go to Tripadvisor.com and search Manteo hotels and click on the B&B/Inns tab.

While you're at tripadvisor.com, search on Corolla, Duck, and some other towns of the Outer Banks. None of the listings sound very great...

TrvlMaven May 16th, 2007 07:54 PM

There are a couple of B&Bs on Ocracoke--Harbor Island Inn (I was able to secure a one-night stay in July one year on short-notice) and The Cove. Try http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/north-carolina.html

granniem May 17th, 2007 06:11 AM

I do not have any info. on B&B's but I do have a question.

Why do people enjoy a B&B over a hotel/motel. Isn't it like staying in someone home?

nohomers May 17th, 2007 02:15 PM

"Why do people enjoy a B&B over a hotel/motel?"

I've often wondered this myself.

dlpiano May 17th, 2007 02:23 PM

I LIVE ON THE OUTER BANKS! Not many bed and breakfasts, many rental homes though. Try in Manteo: White Doe Inn, Roanoke Island Inn or Tranquil House Inn. Manteo is a nice central location and a lot easier to get to things then all the way down in Ocracoke.
Also try Duck.

obxgirl May 17th, 2007 04:25 PM

At the north end of the OBX, the Inn at Corolla Lighthouse might be a good option for you. It's soundside but withing easy walking distance to the ocean.

Most of the OBX destinations are rental homes (let weekly in the June season, short breaks unlikely) with a few (nicer) hotels and B&Bs. Most of the B&Bs are on the southern beaches which requires a bit more of a drive if you're coming from the north.

Another option in Nags Head would be the First Colony Inn.

Manteo is a sweet little town with a couple of nice options, as mentioned, but you'll be driving to the beach and that will be a major pain in June.

Thomas6 May 18th, 2007 05:08 AM

Well, I own a B&B, and lots of people do choose that option. It is not like staying in my home - we have living space that is essentially a private apartment within the B&B. The guest rooms and common areas are for the guests' use - we have our own living room, office, kitchen, bedroom and bath. We have six guest rooms. Some smaller B&Bs are more like staying in someone else's home - often they are called homestays, to distinguish them.
People who stay at B&Bs like them for several reasons - the opportunity to stay in a historic property, to have a space that is individual and not cookie-cutter hotel, to have a great homemade breakfast, to commune with other travelers, to enjoy common areas that are more like home spaces - a back porch, a living room with a fireplace.
Just like with hotels, there are a wide variety of B&Bs, from very luxurious (like the famous Inn at Little Washington, akin to the Four Seasons) to the much smaller homes where the owners are retired and have turned some spare rooms into guest rooms. You can certianly choose to never experience them - and it seems like maybe some people should never try one - but they are excellent lodging choices for many travelers.

jeff49 May 18th, 2007 06:37 AM

Thanks Thomas for the explanation as you’ve done a much better job than I could have. I was a skeptic about B&B’s for many years until I stayed in one. Now I much prefer the B&B’s to any hotel. We now look first for a B&B when traveling and having stayed in dozens, have yet to be disappointed. Some of the highlights of our travels have resulted from encounters with the owners and guests at B&B’s. My advice is to try a B&B once. It may not be your cup of tea, but you may be pleasantly surprised as I was.

thurstonbb May 18th, 2007 07:11 AM

I always want to respond to the B&B question. I am a small one - 3 rooms - but very private unless they really want to interact with others. There are many areas to be private - porches, gardens, etc... Often rooms have different breakfast times and don't see each other, and other times people specifically want the same time to have interation. I have all modern conveniences - high end linens, electronics, private baths (of course!!), etc... I even have a lot of business people stay here for a much better travel trip experience. We have complimentary wireless too! Our private area is way away from the guests so we are here if they need us but away from us if they don't.

granniem May 18th, 2007 08:18 AM

Thank you for explaining that to me. It doesn;t seem to be something I would like to try but that is okay. Good luck!

thurstonbb May 18th, 2007 08:47 AM

I've been open almost 15 years so I guess it's going OK! Really, you may be pleasantly surprised. The B&B's of the old days rarely exist anymore.