day trip to sonoma spa

Search

day trip to sonoma spa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trip to sonoma spa

I am taking my 18 year old daughter to San Francisco for 5 days in August and would like to do a day trip to wine country for a spa treatment and nice dinner. I hear Casitoga is great using the Indians springs spa but I think it may be too far. I would like to see as much of the wine country as possible but am limited to time. I really need to know time distances from San Francisco and what would be a reasonable day. I would also like to go to at least one winery. Thanks for any help you can give. ML
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 10:51 PM

I actually don't like the spas in Calistoga so in my opinion you're not missing out on much. I recommend the Spa at the Sonoma Mission Inn which is now a Fairmont property. I do not recommend staying there: only partaking in their spa services which would be great for a mother and daughter treat.

Because the lavender *should* be in bloom, I recommend you visit Matanzas Creek winery. Their wines are great but they also have a vast lavender field and beautiful gardens + a pretty nifty gift shop. Don't quote me on the blooming lavender, though. I know August is bloomtime but they may have harvested it by now. Nevertheless, it's a gorgeous facility overlooking a lovely valley.

http://www.matanzascreek.com/
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 11:19 PM

Oops -- I hit "reply" prematurely!

For dinner, if you want to do the all-out wine country thing, there's The Girl and the Fig on the Sonoma Plaza. It's very lush Country French California cuisine. For straight forward Italian, try Della Santina's right off the Plaza. Aram's Cafe in Petaluma is a local favorite and perfect if you're looking for something low-key and in the mood for Middle Eastern cuisine. It's also great for lunch.

The general area is about an hour and 1/2 from San Francisco. The winery is about 30 minutes north from both the spa and Sonoma Plaza. It's actually only about 10 miles away, but the road is quite windy. If you hit the winery first, then the spa, then dinner, your day should go perfectly with no backtracking whatsoever!
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Luckily she's 18, the Sonoma Mission Inn does not allow anyone under 18 at their spa.

Staying at the Sonoma Mission Inn is wonderful, I highly recommend a stay in the Wine Country rooms. There is also the wonderful mineral water pool that's really nice and in the evening they turn the fountains on over the pool.

I like the Indian Springs Resort property, also. Just a different sort of place, more authentic and the muds baths are they big hit here.

The Girl and the Fig is also a favorite of mine, and also Cafe La Haye in Sonoma is very good.

Ledson is very nice, and very good wines. Pricey, but you can't buy them anywhere else, so they are unique.

I also love the Viognier at the Imagery Winery, the best I've had yet! You can buy that by the glass at the Girl and the Fig. Enjoy Sonoma! If you do go to the SMI, you must try their Apricots and Cream Lotion. I order it from their website in between visits!! ***kim***
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. We leave tomorro.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 08:29 AM

Which spa did you decide on? Inquiring minds want to know!! Let us know how you like the one you decide on and have a wonderful, relaxing day enjoying the spa!

I just found a wonderful spa in Astoria, OR called the Columbia River Dap Spa. My future DIL & I had a two hour pedicure. It was wonderful and lots of fun!!! ***kim***