Reload this Page >

Hollywood restaurants

Search

Hollywood restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 12:02 AM
Megan

Hollywood restaurants

I've just found Neal's wonderful posting on "Bubbling Brook" experiences and I noticed no-one really mentioned LA. Has anyone got any tips for good, no-nonense, no mortgage required eating experiences in LA, particularly around Hollywood?

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 09:32 PM
michele

Megan.
Well, I don't know exactly what you mean by "No mortgage required" but here are a few suggestions:
Musso and Frank's- the oldest restaurant in Hollywood, favorite watering hole of F. Scott Fitzgerald and William Faulkner so you know they have a great bar. Home of the definitve martini and excellent basics, lamb chops, Ceaser salad, seafood salad...It CAN be pricey as everything is a la carte. Smack dab on H'wood BLVD.

P. Shaw's Bistro- a just plain charming place with a terrace on Gower Gulch (!!) featuring reasonably priced and delicious French and a touch of tres refined Cajun food. Your chef, P. Shaw ,hails from S. Florida and is on hand to answer any questions. Just lovely...

Pinot Hollywood- across the street from Shaw's , more popular and not nearly as good. Lamb chops, chicken, fancy martinis ( stuff that would never be served at Musso's)

Off Vine-- that's where it is... in an old Hollywood bungalow. Popular with the theatre crowd, good Americana chow, nice patio

Les Deux Cafes on Palm in one of the sleaziest areas of Hollywood is one of hippest places. It is a place to be seen, the food is good, not great, but if you want to make the scene , this is it . Michele Lamy is your French hostess, VERY CHIC.

A good place for a drink and and great view is Yamashiro way -up the hill off Franklin. Japanese pagoda, used as the Officer's Club in SAYONARA..good views. lots of atmosphere.

Basic red-sauce and pizza and good Italian : Miceli's on Vine. Music (jazz spot) certain nights, can't remember which..very reasonable.

These are ALL right off the tarnished, but oh-so-entertaining- to -this- movie fan boulevard.

Hope that helps,

Michele

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 11:30 PM
Megan

Thanks Michele! I really appreciate your info. My "mortgage" reference was a small joke about the terrible (for us) conversion rate for the Aus dollar at present.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 03:48 AM
Reetty

Hi there Michelle

just wondering what time of year you are headed off to LA
as we will be there in january and were interested in the same info
thanks
Rieta
Melb

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 08:03 AM
michele

Megan and Reety,
Don't miss having a drink at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. It has a beautifully restored Spanish Mission style ( lots of tiles and dark wood) lobby. My friends enjoy brunch there and I have heard good things about the rooms , in case you need a hotel in H-wood. The pool was painted by David Hockney and is worth a look, too. Their nightclub , the Cinegrill, gets good performers. I saw Eartha Kitt there and Blossom Dearie. Hollywood is really trying to spruce up its image. It's slow going, but it's getting there.

Michele