Reload this Page >

Taking a 2 yr. old to San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Rick F.

Must see/do activities: We know about the zoo, beach, Sea World, Legoland, etc. Other suggestions?

Restaurants: Any recommended Mexican restaurants?

1st plane trip: Any tips on caring for my daughter's ears during take off and landings?

Thanks for any advice you care to offer!

Old May 30th, 2001, 08:42 PM
xxx

There's a mexican restaurant in Old Town called Casa De Pico that is pretty good, but also comes with long lines. Just make sure to go there on a weeknight to avoid the crowds. There's outdoor dining and I think it would work well for a young family.

Old May 30th, 2001, 08:47 PM
Bonnie

Where are you planning to stay in San Diego? My last trip there I stayed in the Pacific Beach area which has a great beach and boardwalk area. Take a boat ride around the harbour. If your daughter's tired she can sleep and you can enjoy the sights. On the plane give her a drink on take off and the same on the descent which will start approximately 1 hour before landing. My daughter cried on take off but not because of her ears - because of the sudden noise.

Old May 30th, 2001, 09:16 PM
xxx

A friend of mine is a pediatrian and she suggests a teaspoon of cough syrup to help the child rest peacefully on the flight.

Old May 31st, 2001, 04:17 AM
ilisa

Rick, my pediatrician recommends Pediacare a half hour before the flight. Of course, everyone has differing opinions about this, so you may want to check with your ped. Also, make sure she has something to drink during take-off and landings, or a pacifier. The sucking will alleviate the pressure. If your daughter's ears hurt mid-flight, ask for 2 styrofoam cups with wet paper towels in the bottom. Hold a cup over each ear and the pain should subside. It looks funny, but it works!

Old May 31st, 2001, 04:18 AM
ilisa

Oh, one other thing, the paper towels should be hot.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:22 AM
kIMMIE

Last year my dad experienced pain with his ears on our flight to San Diego. When we got back, my friend reccomened using effrin or affrin (not sure how to spell), but its like a spray for your ears. it is safe, and works. email me for more detail.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:12 AM
JB

Just read your message, I live in San Diego and think it is best city anywhere. YOu may want to do the Wild Animal Park in Escondido and of course, the Zoo is one of the best in the world.
Disneyland is about an hour drive up the coast as well as the new California Adventure Park next door, there is Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park - very close of Disneyland also. I do not know what you are looking for but the beach in the Summer is fun for a two year old to play in the sand and "jump the bumps".

Depends where you stay-tons of Mexican Restaurants - in Old Town the Old Town Mexican Cafe where the women make the tortillas fresh where you can watch them by looking in the window. Many good one, I would stay away from the chains for really good Mexican food though.
Have a great time in America's Finest City.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 09:15 AM
ca

I found a type of ear plug made specifically for plane trips at my pharmacy( I believe they are called "ear planes"). My daughters and I used them during a flight last summer; I was surprised at how good they work, since I have always had trouble with my ears during flights. They come in adult and child sizes. They may be worth a try.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 10:07 PM
Mom

You may be overestimating how much her ears will bother her. My daughter is 2 and we just went on a trip and she didn't have any problems. Just the opposite, really she liked take off. If your daughter can, tell her to take a deap breath, hold her nose and blow out, sort of like you are underwater. I hope I explained that right, it might require a demonstration. As for Pediacare/cough syrup, I personally wouldn't do that. It's suppose to make her drowsy. Why medicate her before you even know if it's going to be a problem? Also, if you read the bottle, antihistimines can sometimes have the opposite reaction and cause excitability, not something you will want to do before a plane trip.

I did like the styrofoam cup idea. Whether it works or not, she may think it's funny enough to not think about her ears.

Have fun in San Diego.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 10:10 PM
Mom

I just posted, then I noticed the date of your original post and thought you might have been to San Diego and back by now... How was the trip?