Search

Ayres Hotel Mahattan Beach???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayres Hotel Mahattan Beach???

Has anyone stayed at this hotel?
If so, what were the positives and negatives?
We are looking for very clean and comfortable surrounds.
Look forward to your reply
Donna
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM

I have never stayed there but I know it is recommended quite often by those wanting to be close to LAX. One advantage of the hotel is you are very close to many restaurants on Rosecrans Blvd. My DD works at the Houston's restaurant right down the street.

Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com.

If you are looking for someplace close to LAX this would be a good choice. On Century Blvd where the airport hotels are located, doesn't have much in the way of places to eat, etc.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I live nearby so haven't stayed at the Ayres and can't comment on comfort or cleanliness. But I can describe where it's located.

On one side is the 405 freeway, probably the busiest freeway in California if not the U.S. On another side are the freeway on- and off-ramps. On the third side (front of the hotel), is a road leading to car dealerships, Costco, Staples and fast food restaurants (McDonald's is across the street). Loads of traffic all day. On the fourth side, is a gas station and a very busy street. Another freeway off-ramp is across that street, and traffic is almost always very heavy. If you want to be able to walk out the hotel's front door into a nice, welcoming environment, this isn't the place. If you're just going to spend a night, it's OK but not as close to LAX as many other hotels.

Foodie friends of ours report the restaurant in the hotel is pretty good.

P.S. It's not in Manhattan Beach. That's a marketing fib. It's in Hawthorne.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM

I've been in the lobby and restaurant. Very nice. Kind of upscale country club done in over the top Tuscan style. The friend who took me to dinner said this is the flagship location for the chain.

I think it has free parking.

Location is near the freeway. You're not in a shopping or entertainment district, you'd have to drive everywhere.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Jean makes a good point..if you aren't familiar with the area, it is NOT on the beach.

You actually could walk down Rosecrans about 1/2 mile to a shopping center that has Trader Joe's, Fresh and Easy Market, and some other stores.

There may be a shuttle of some type down Rosecrans, also.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Yes if you are staying at this hotel becauses you want to be by the beach, this isn't the place for you. If you are staying here to be close to LAX, then I think it's a good choice.

Although it's in Hawthorne, Manhattan Beach starts right across the street. Looking on tripadvisor, don't see many complaints about traffic noise, but I would probably ask for a room on the west side (away from the freeway).

There are many nice restaurants on Rosecrans. You could walk to a couple of them but a shuttle would be better.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM

I have stayed here. On the plus side, it's a really nice hotel. Clean, spacious, well appointed rooms and public areas. On the negative side, it abutts the 405 freeway, however, I don't recall it keeping me awake at night.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Not to be nit-picky, but the eastern boundary of Manhattan Beach is Aviation Boulevard not Hindry Avenue.

Two hotels in Manhattan Beach in approximately the same price range as the Ayres: Belamar and Marriott. Both are located in more inviting areas. The Belamar faces a residential street, and two shopping centers are within one block. The back of the Marriott overlooks a golf course, and there are several restaurants, movie theaters, shops, etc., within a block or two. Both hotels are closer to LAX than the Ayres.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM

Sorry Jean, I guess it's a long block from the Ayers to cross Aviation. My point is although the address is Hawthorne, it's really more like Manhattan Beach. Much of Hawthorne is on the other side of the 405 and not somewhere you'd want to stay.

The Ayers is cheaper than either of the two hotels you mentioned although looking at the Belamar, the Ayers isn't that much cheaper. The Belamar is definitely in a better area. Again it really depends what Lordy is looking for and we haven't heard from from her. If she wants reasonable accomodations for a couple of nights at a lower price and close to the freeway, then the Ayers would be fine. If she wants something a little nicer and closer to the beach, I would go for the Belamar. One thing about the Belamar. They do have weddings there and in fact we looked at them when we were choosing a place for my DD's wedding. They do close some of the public areas when they have a wedding. These of course would usually be on the weekends. I would just make sure of their events if I booked a room there.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
We are having a lot of trouble getting our last hotel organized.
When we first arrive in LA, we are staying at the Renaissance Hollywodd for 3 nights.
We will be in the US for a couple of weeks, do a cruise and then head to Mexico for a week.
This last part is before we fly back to Melbourne.
We have 2 nights and 2 full days in LA before we come back to Australia.
We were thinking of staying near the airport, but many people said this was not the place to be.
We then thought we would go to a beach area but have had trouble getting the dates we need, hotels not being in a good position or bad reviews.
We came acros Ayres on Fodors and thought we would check it out.
For your info, we arrive in LA at 8.30 pm at night and fly out 2 nights later at 11.45 pm.
We like very clean, comfortable accommodation and would like restaurants / dining to be close by.
Thanks again for all of your help.
I will check out the other hotels mentioned.
Sorry for not getting back ASAP, I am in the middle of writing school reports before the end of the year.
Thanks
Donna
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Donna-Thanks for the information. When is your trip? I think you would like the Manhattan/Hermosa Beach area but I agree with Jean that the Ayres is not the best representation of a beach area hotel.

Secondly, what is your budget? Obviously this will have something to do with where you stay. And lastly are you just going to spend those two days relaxing since you've already been in LA. Or are you thinking about doing some more sightseeing? Have you thought about staying in Santa Monica? Again, knowing your budget is probably the biggest help.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Dear Paula,
this part of the trip is from the 19th of January for 2 nights.
Our budget is approx $200 - 220 US dollars.
We will probably stil do some sightseeing and shopping. Our flight home does not leave until after 11 pm, so we will have 2 full days.
Where in Santa Monica would you recommend?
Thanks
Donna
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Paula,
any thoughts.
Donna
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM

Donna-In that price range for Santa Monica there is not a lot of choices even though it's January. Probably your best bet would be the Doubletree Santa Monica. Gets decent reviews on tripadvisor and is in a good location. Seems like it's in your price range but you do have to pay for parking. There is also the Cal Mar Suites. I have stayed there before. The suites are an apartment building made into hotel suites. Clean but have a dated look. They can be noisy with lots of kids during the summer months or weekends but I would think for your dates it would be very quiet. There is a full kitchen, etc. Very good location and although parking can be a problem, it's free and I think you'd be OK during your stay.

Again it really depends on what you want to do. If you are planning on doing sightseeing around LA, then Santa Monica or that area would be the best. Traffic coming from the Hawthorne/Manhattan Beach area into LA can be terrible during rush hour. If you just want to sit and relax and enjoy the beach area then I would suggest going a few dollars over your budget and staying at The Beach House in Hermosa. You can get the standard room for $249 a night and the hotel is right on the ocean. That price is a deal. I do think you have to pay for parking but their is a public garage close by that is cheaper.
www.beach-house.com/hermosa-beach-hotels.html

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:08 AM

On the other hand, if you will have a car and don't mind driving a short distance to the beach, shopping, etc, the Ayres is just fine and a very good value. Because it is located near the San Diego freeway, it's actually a better location for reaching some tourism sights than is Santa Monica, which is also heavily impacted by congestion. Although not ON the beach, you are very close to the beach at Manhattan Beach, which in my opinion is more attractive than the beach in Santa Monica.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Being located near the San Diego Freeway (405) doesn't necessarily make it better for reaching some tourism sights. It depends on what you want to see/do. The 405 in that area ("the South Bay Curve") is notorious for congestion at nearly all hours of the day and night. Depending on the time, some places are easier to get to using surface streets, but again it depends on where you're going.

I live in Manhattan Beach and work in Beverly Hills, and I don't use the freeways except 10-11:30 and 1-2. To add to the congestion, there's a large long-term construction project underway on the 405 between the Marina and Santa Monica Freeways (north of the South Bay Curve).

Maybe we need to know your sightseeing plans before we can recommend areas and specific hotels.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM

mlgb-I checked the price of the Ayres Hotel for the dates given by the OP. I was really surprised at the price of this hotel during the week but I guess I shouldn't be because it is used as a business hotel. The price per night for her date was $199. Personally I wouldn't want to pay that for that hotel. If I got a lesser rate, it would be fine.

The Belamar in Manhattan is $209 and you can get a rate at the Manhattan Beach Marriott for $189 if you prepay (non-refundable).

Jean-I understand what you are saying about avoid the 405. I also do that when I am working in the South Bay. But for someone who is not familiar with the side streets, the freeway is usually an easier way to get around albeit it could be slower!

Again I think that Lordy needs to decide what she wants to do when she comes back to LA as far as sightseeing and then decide on the area. From Manhattan/Hermosa, you could go to Long Beach to the Aquarium, drive to Venice Beach to check that out and from there go on to Santa Monica.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM

I read through Lordy's post again where she thought they'd stay in a beach area on their return to LA. If that's the case, I would definitely stay in Manhattan or Hermosa. I personally would pay the few extra dollars to stay at the Beach House but some of the other hotels would be fine.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Paula, I agree about staying in Hermosa/Manhattan. As far as 405 v. streets, even the beach area hotels give guests directions to some tourist sights using surface streets. I.e., LACMA, Tar Pits and the Grove using La Cienega, Santa Monica using Lincoln, Getty using Sepulveda (if early morning). Obviously, some places are too far or complicated to choose streets over freeways. I.e., Universal and WB Studios, Pasadena, downtown LA.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM

That would help if they get directions from the hotel. I would imagine if you have a car with GPS, it would probably direct you to the freeways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -