Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/avoiding-tunnels-driving-from-atlanta-to-philadelphia-1086065/)

mommy54321 Feb 9th, 2016 07:20 AM

Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia

I really hope someone can help me. I deal with panic attacks and they are really bad in enclosed spaces. My husband's family is from Philadelphia and we are in Atlanta so we have to travel there at least once a year. Last year we went through either the Baltimore Harbor or Fort McHenry tunnel and I though I was going to stop breathing (which ever was the shorter of the two tunnels is the one we traveled). I take meds for anxiety but they don't seem to work when it comes to enclosed spaces. I really need to find a route from Atlanta to Philadelphia that avoids long tunnels. I can handle the ones where I can see the light at the end when I enter but anything longer I need to avoid...at least for now.

Just looking at pictures of the tunnels cause me high anxiety. It sucks.

Any suggestions are truly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Dukey1 Feb 9th, 2016 08:01 AM

ONE way: instead of going up I-95 through Baltimore you COULD take Rte 50 East (from the Cap Beltway) across the Bay Bridge and then 301 North to Del 896 which will bet you back onto 95.

The 301 route up the Eastern Shore is four lanes and totally rural with little traffic but the speed limit is a somewhat strictly-enforced 55.

Are you afraid of heights, too? If so, you do not want to cross that bridge.

tomfuller Feb 9th, 2016 08:17 AM

Up I-81 through VA to Harrisburg PA then I-83 south to get on US 30 east through Lancaster.

emalloy Feb 9th, 2016 08:37 AM

75 to 40 to 81 to 76 A little longer, less stress.

usroadman Feb 9th, 2016 08:41 AM

You could do the I-695 loop around Baltimore. It's long, but no tunnels. I used to do it sometimes to avoid the tunnel toll. I'd bet the 50/301 route is faster though (definitely more direct). If you opt for the Harrisburg route, I probably would have just taken the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76) to get to Philly rather than 30.

flpab Feb 9th, 2016 08:44 AM

We do 50 because we usually are going to Easton or Annapolis. Just watch you speed. Then you go through Middletown to get back on 95 north, route 1 can be picked up there but is a toll road. Do as Dukey said. Good old 896 just flooded me with memories.

obxgirl Feb 9th, 2016 08:45 AM

<i>You could do the I-695 loop around Baltimore. It's long, but no tunnels.</i>

This.

fmpden Feb 9th, 2016 11:06 AM

Curious, could you use eye shades? If you do not see it, does it still cause problems?

BigRuss Feb 9th, 2016 11:32 AM

Evidently there is only the one tunnel that causes problems, right? So take a loop around Baltimore.

vincenzo32951 Feb 9th, 2016 02:56 PM

Yes, definitely the west-side loop of 695. You could even exit at Rte 1 and take a more scenic route than I-95.

Dukey1 Feb 9th, 2016 04:48 PM

Rte 1 is a possibility but has a lot more traffic and many more traffic lights than 50/301.

Ackislander Feb 10th, 2016 03:07 AM

695 = no Tennessee anywhere on your route

BigRuss Feb 10th, 2016 07:09 AM

<<695 = no Tennessee anywhere on your route>>

Tennessee's a fine place. Much better quality of life than Massachusetts.

But there's no reason to go through the Volunteer state en route to Philly from Atlanta.

Ackislander Feb 10th, 2016 08:28 AM

Tennessee?

I typed "tunnels". I detect the hand of Steve Jobs, who knew better than anyone else what they meant.

mommy54321 Feb 11th, 2016 08:19 AM

Thank you all so very much! I truly appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Fmpden, I think the only way eye shades would work would be if I didn't know I was approaching the tunnel, like wearing them half an hour prior. I know it is irrational but often panic attacks are. I actually tried keeping my eyes closed when I got close to approaching the tunnel. I felt like I was going to suffocate the entire time because I knew I was in there. And there was no traffic! I can't imagine how I would feel if I was stuck in traffic in there. *shudder*

Dukey1, heights don't really bother me. Just enclosed spaces.

Thanks again everyone. Your responses mean a lot to me. :)

Rich Feb 11th, 2016 02:29 PM

We make that trip several times a year from Houston . . From Atlanta, we take 85 to Charlotte, 77 North to I-81 near Wytheville, then at Winchester, cut across to Fredrick and take I-70 to 695 around the North side of Baltimore.

Sometimes we take I-26 from Spartanburg thru Ashville to I-81 when we visit friends in Ashville.

I-81 can be crowded with trucks, but less than I-95 in our experience