Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Avoiding rush hour - Seattle to Tacoma (for Museum of Glass) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/avoiding-rush-hour-seattle-to-tacoma-for-museum-of-glass-713477/)

megarfield Jun 15th, 2007 01:37 PM

Avoiding rush hour - Seattle to Tacoma (for Museum of Glass)

Museum of Glass sounds like an amazing place. What is the best time to leave Seattle in the morning for the drive to Tacoma to avoid the worst of rush hour? And what about the return from Tacoma to Seattle?

Thanks!

NWWanderer Jun 15th, 2007 01:53 PM

Rush hour shouldn't really be a factor heading south from Seattle.

Coming back, I'd say you want to be on the road by 2 PM or so.

megarfield Jun 15th, 2007 02:25 PM

Wow - 2 pm sounds too early for us. What time is the worst of the traffic over? By 7 pm?
Thanks.

Gardyloo Jun 15th, 2007 05:49 PM

Well the MoG opens at 10, so if you leave Seattle you'll miss both the Seattle and Tacoma rush hours.

Coming back, it will get congested northbound on I-5 around Boeing Field, starting around 4 - 4:30. In normal conditions, that's around 40 min. north of the MoG, so leave there around 3:15 or so and you'll be fine.

Note that if there are 2 or more of you you can use the HOV lanes, which usually allow speed limit movement regardless of how traffic is doing in the SOV lanes.

The MoG is great but will not take you 5 hours to visit. More like 2 tops. However if you like glass installations, take a peek into the federal courthouse (former Union Station) next to the Bridge of Glass, where there's a great Chihuly chandelier on display in the restored rotunda.

Gardyloo Jun 15th, 2007 05:50 PM

Meant to add, most weekdays rush hour traffic inbound to Seattle is over by 6:30 PM or so, but likely wouldn't be a factor in your case.

NWWanderer Jun 15th, 2007 06:55 PM

Well, I've driven between between Federal Way and Seattle several times recently and I definitely notice congestion heading back up to Seattle in the mid-late afternoon, pretty much the whole way from the 320th exit on north. But the HOV lanes are probably fine even during the 3-7 PM period.

Orcas Jun 15th, 2007 11:26 PM

If you go to the Museum of Glass, you might also want to visit the new Tacoma Art Museum. It is really good. Also the Washington State Historical Society is right there, and is excellent. It is not a boring museum. Lots to do there.

You could also drive over to the Old Town area (probably 5 to 10 minutes away), and have a lovely walk on the waterfront in the evening. There is a really nice walkway along the waterfront near Old Town.

I'd suggest you spent the day in Tacoma, eat at Fujiyas or the Swiss, and then head back.

tamaralea Jun 16th, 2007 12:19 PM

Speaking of glass museums, if anyone is ever near the Toledo area, you should stop to see our new glass museum. It's literaly made of glass, with glass walls and interesting glass blowing demonstrations. Toledo is known as the "glass city".