Avenue Q Vegas, who's gone/going?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Vegas the third weekend in February, and I'm really interested in seeing Avenue Q since I missed it in NYC. It looks really good. Has anyone gone to the Vegas version yet? Anyone who's planning on going? Reviews? Help!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Not too helpful as this is second-hand, but for what it's worth, Hubby just returned from Vegas and HATED Avenue Q, which he got free tickets for. He described it as an adult Sesame Street. If memory serves,he told me that he wanted to leave at intermission...
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 01:50 PM

While this show does not interest me I have read in the Las Vegas Review Journal (daily newspaper) that the show is being "re-worked". It has not done well in 'Vegas and they are trying to give it another shot I guess. I had heard rumors that it would close, but apparently not yet.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Just saw Avenue Q in NYC and loved it! It does take a certain sense of humor though. For what its worth the book we got at the show in NY descibes the changes for touring shows as minimal to the casual observer but huge to the performers. I dont know exactly what that means but thought I would throw that out there.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM

I saw the Vegas production last month. I enjoyed it, but I can see why some people might not enjoy it. It's very irreverent and cynical-- definitely not "family entertainment." The best way to check it out in advance is by getting the (Broadway) cast recording, which is entertaining in itself. The only difference I could discern was a new arrangement of one song. I've read interviews with the authors that say the Vegas version is essentially identical to the Broadway version. It's the complete show in two acts with an intermission, rather than the usual Vegas practice of cutting shows down to a single act.

If you appreciate irreverent humor and aren't upset by obscenity and explicit (puppet) sex, you'll enjoy AVENUE Q. If you're easily offended, avoid it.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I haven't seen Avenue Q but my wife and i saw Le Reve at the same hotel (WYNN's) and loved it.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Yep, I'm very familiar with the NYC version (even though we didn't get a chance to see it), so I know exactly what to expect. I have heard several songs from the soundtrack and it's right up our alley. I am not surprised this type of show hasn't done very well in Vegas. It seems much less flashy than anything else I've ever seen there. Also, I can imagine tourists going to this show in Vegas without knowing what it's all about, but I can't imagine anyone living in New York not knowing what this show is all about. These two towns have such hugely different personalities.

Anywho, the main question I had was about the production itself. A few of you guys verified that the production is very similar to the one NYC. In this case, I'll be getting tickets. Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:48 AM

My friends saw it and left halfway through. Le Reve is awesome