Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Auto train tips? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/auto-train-tips-1075539/)

basingstoke2 Oct 9th, 2015 08:44 PM

Auto train tips?

Taking the Auto Train to FL. and never had before. Compartment on the way down and regular seating on the way back. We had sufficient Amtrak credits to make it the least expensive alternative. Any tips? And, speaking of tips, does anyone on the train staff get tipped?

Dukey1 Oct 9th, 2015 09:29 PM

If you are in the sleeping car and the attendant makes up the berths for you then you might consider tipping that person. That's all I will say on this rather controversial subject (around here anyway).

Hopefully the train will depart on time. Expect to do a certain amount of hanging out in both terminals as you wait for the boarding announcement and then unless you pay for the express delivery it can be a wait for your vehicle to be unloaded.

flpab Oct 15th, 2015 04:18 AM

Yes, do tip your person making up your room compartment. They are very helpful. There is a bathroom in each train and a shower room downstairs if I remember correctly. Dinner comes with your room and it is really very nice. Not sure if you don't have a room. Go anyway as it is better than the cafe car stuff. Bring earplugs as they sound that dang horn at every cross stop. You will want the bottom bunk but loved the top one and watched the stars laying in bed. When you get off in Sanford there is a nice historical downtown area and a great German restaurant, Hollerbachs.

basingstoke2 Oct 15th, 2015 04:50 AM

Thank you Dukey and flpab. Yes, we will have a roomette both ways and are looking forward to a new experience.

Dukey1 Oct 15th, 2015 05:20 AM

AutoTrain continues to use the older Superliner rolling stock as opposed to the newer Viewliners. Yes, there is a shower room with towels and soap on each lower level.

flpab Oct 18th, 2015 05:47 AM

Funny thing though. I took it once to get my dog in Annapolis so drove home. We were in the dining car and they had to stop drink service as it was a Sunday and going through a part of Ga with blue laws. The waiter gave us a heads up to order quick. We have done the regular amtrak with the toilet and small sink in the room also. When we got on in Sanford they even had wine/cheese/crackers in one car for us. Very nice.

basingstoke2 Oct 18th, 2015 06:28 AM

Thank you all.

Dukey, I have a question for you - we will be staying first in Weston, Fl. Our main reason for staying there is that the primary purpose of the trip is to visit relatives who live in the vicinity of Tamarac and we have an excellent deal on a hotel so want to try it out since we may be going more often since they are elderly. The hotel is near the Weston shopping center and according to mapquest should be a fairly short drive to do our visits. Are you familiar with the Weston area? Any good restaurant hints there? Also, we might get to Ft. Lauderdale one evening - your turf. Any good restaurant recommendations there. We prefer places popular with locals and good food trumps ambiance.

Dukey1 Oct 18th, 2015 10:35 AM

Basingstoke2,

I live right on the beach and that is about as far from the Weston area as one can be without lowering the lifeboats! IOW, I am not very familiar with places to eat out that way. You might want to check the sun-sentinel newspaper at www.sun-sentinel.com and look at the restaurant section. I suspect you can pry enough useful information out of it without having to actually subscribe on-line. If not, let me know as I have a digital subscription and can look stuff up for you.

As to restaurants more or less east of I-95 and even more specifically, east of Federal Highway (Rte 1), let me know what sort of cuisine you are most interested in.

You have to remember there are, basically, two kinds of "local" around here: those of us who live here all the time and those of us who are here for five-six months a year.

Anyway, I'll do whatever leg work it requires to try to come up with a restaurant name or two so ask away. But do it soon as I am leaving for London in a couple of days.

basingstoke2 Oct 18th, 2015 06:59 PM

I am not particular about types of cuisine - I like them all. DW is pescatarian - veggies mostly, fish (not shellfish), no pasta. Thanks Dukey.

Dukey1 Oct 19th, 2015 01:12 AM

Let me think about this for a few minutes...

Dukey1 Oct 19th, 2015 02:53 AM

OK, here is a basic <B>starting point</B> since what you think is fab might be what I think is, "How in the world could anybody in their right mind..."

Check these out further and all of them are east of Rte 1; a couple are east of A1A:

3030 Ocean. Great views of the beach; in the Marriott Harbor beach hotel

The Pelican Grand restaurant (near where I live) and on the beach; decent sea food

Cafe Martorano (also in my neighborhood) Italian with some local mobster types hanging around

On Las Olas: Rocco's Tacos for decent Mexican; some folks like Louie Bossi's for beef

We've also had good luck at the local "chain" JMarks (on Fed Hwy; mixed menu. We also like the bigger 'chain' Cap Grille located in the Galleria; we have a PF Changs, too as well as a Trulucks

15th Street Fisheries...hit or miss seafood IMO; same with SeaWatch in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea

Kitchenetta, also on Fed for industrial-strength Italian and a poured concrete decor (should you choose to eat inside)

This area has hundreds of places to eat as I am sure you can imagine and I hope wherever you end up it is memorable and the food good.

schmerl Oct 19th, 2015 04:51 AM

There are chain restaurants in the area that are decent....
Grand Lux Café, Bone Fish Grille, Bahama Breeze.

basingstoke2 Oct 19th, 2015 03:38 PM

Thank you Dukey - I really appreciate the thought put into your recommendations and I will check them out.

Thanks also to all of the others responding with ideas and info.

flpab Oct 21st, 2015 02:27 PM

I just booked a trip today on the auto train. I am going by myself to get a dog in Annapolis. Easiest on me to only have to drive that horrid road one way. I was going to not get a compartment but it was one hundred dollars more and you get a nice dinner and breakfast, shower and a bed so did it. I am going on the 30th.

SusanMargaret Oct 22nd, 2015 11:26 AM

The sleeping car attendant is very helpful if you have questions, makes up your berth for you at the time you prefer. He/she is by the door as you exit the train and that's when we tip ($5 or $10). We also leave a couple of dollars on the table after dinner for our server, same at breakfast. Someone mentioned a cheese and wine event. Sadly that tradition was cancelled because of the cost. Wine is served with dinner, otherwise you can buy it at the bar - or do as we do and bring it with you. We also bring snacks and drinks for while we are waiting at Lorton and Sanford. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate and ice are freely available on the train. Wifi is available only in one car and it's spotty to say the least.

basingstoke2 Oct 23rd, 2015 12:12 PM

One other question, can the temperature in each roomette be adjusted by the occupants?

SusanMargaret Oct 24th, 2015 05:03 AM

Yes. You have your own thermostat. There is also an electrical outlet should you wish to charge your phone, etc.

basingstoke2 Oct 24th, 2015 05:38 AM

Thank you - that is good news about having your own thermostat. I had checked with AMTRAK when making the reservation about the outlet since I will need it for my CPAP and perhaps to do work on my laptop on the return trip.

TDudette Oct 24th, 2015 07:44 AM

Hi basie, I gave one attendant 15% because she was so nice; another 10% because he seemed to be going through the motions only.

I did a couple of TRs about my trips if you are interested.

TDudette Oct 24th, 2015 08:15 AM

I am re-reading my AT TRs. Take your own pillow and get to the station as early as possible. The 7 p.m. dinner seating was taken by 12:30 on my first trip. I had a roomette and there wasn't much room for extra belongings. Bedroom is larger.