Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Austin Tx & San Antonio (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/austin-tx-and-san-antonio-1125492/)

Mas13 Aug 18th, 2016 06:42 AM

Austin Tx & San Antonio

Hi-
I am looking for the following recommendations in both San Antonio and Austin Tx for a family of 4. What is the best time of year to travel there? Recommended things to do or see, best hotels in the area….thank you all in advance!

BigRuss Aug 18th, 2016 07:12 AM

<<What is the best time of year to travel there? >>

Not summer.

<<Recommended things to do or see,>>

(1) depends upon your interests; (2) do your own homework

<< best hotels in the area>>

The ones that are in your price range (which you did not state) and reputable.

volcanogirl Aug 18th, 2016 08:26 AM

I'd say for the best weather, March and April are your best bets. Also when the wildflowers are in bloom. October can also be nice.

volcanogirl Aug 18th, 2016 09:20 AM

San Antonio has the River Walk, barge tours on the river, a great Segway tour that goes through the historic King William District, the Alamo, and various theme parks like Fiesta Texas and Sea World. We like eating at Boudro's on the River Walk - good tableside guacamole and prickly pear margaritas. Guenther House is nice for breakfast.

topeater Aug 18th, 2016 09:34 AM

I agree with Big Russ...not summer!!! Often triple digits.

I can't speak to San Antonio, but I live in Austin. The time you visit really depends on what you like to do and the ages of your family. March and April usually have good weather as volcanogirl says, but March (spring break) is also SXSW, so unless you want to attend that, stay away. Hotel rates will be outta sight and everything will be crowded.

October is usually a good time to visit, but again you have the ACL festival which means crowds and high prices. After ACL is over, it's time for Formula 1 and the prices and crowds surge again!

I think November and December are nice times to visit. At Christmas there will be the lighted tree at Zilker Park where the Austin tradition is to twirl beneath it. Sounds odd, but so fun.

Anyway, if you could include ages, what you like to do and your budget for a hotel, that would be helpful. There are the usual chains here, some STRs (although there has been a major crackdown on these) and there are several small boutique hotels that have recently opened.

volcanogirl Aug 18th, 2016 09:54 AM

Austin also has the state capitol and LBJ Library, Barton Springs, Mt. Bonnell with pretty views, some nice botanical gardens, boat tours on the lake, and the bat viewing depending on when you come. We like to eat out by the lake at The Oasis when we go - sometimes they have live music, and they have great sunset views.

Mas13 Aug 18th, 2016 12:51 PM

Hi
Thank you all for the great information. Topeater, my kids are 19 and 15 years old. How many days max would your recommend staying in Austin?