Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Austin, Texas - 2 Nights, Best area to stay? What to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/austin-texas-2-nights-best-area-to-stay-what-to-do-772092/)

SportyMom23 Mar 9th, 2009 11:55 AM

Austin, Texas - 2 Nights, Best area to stay? What to do?

Three travelling buddies (ladies 50) spending two nights in austin in May?? Suggestions for:
good/fun places to eat
best area to stay
any suggestions??
what is weather like then.

go_laura Mar 9th, 2009 05:04 PM

Hi SportyMom23,

I haven't yet experimented with how to post links here to refer you to, but if you click on my name and scroll down a little, you will see both my recent trip report from a week in Austin as well as several threads leading up to the trip where I asked for and received excellent suggestions from locals generous with their time!

In brief, tho', based just on my one week, for a couple nights I'd suggest staying either in either the SoCo (South Congress) area or downtown, the western end.

There are lots of threads on barbeque but we really liked IronWorks right downtown, and we loved a place called Eastside Cafe that used vegetables and herbs from their own large garden, in their dishes. We enjoyed Magnolia Cafe on SoCo too (24 hr. local flavor, all types of food). Have a lunch or snack at the flagship Whole Foods too, it's a tourist destination!

Have fun!

Austin Mar 9th, 2009 05:51 PM

Depends when in May but mostly it will be 80 - 90. Check weather.com before you leave. Go_laura has given you some good advice. SoCo is hip and trendy. The Hotel San Jose is the best bet there. If you want lots of amenities, then downtown = Omni, Radisson, Four Seasons, etc.

If you stay on SoCo (South Congress) try Gueros outside bar, Jo's for coffee, S. Congress Cafe for dinner, and HomeSlice pizza for lunch. Check out the shops and botiques up and down S. Congress.

"Fun" places to eat and good places aren't always one in the same. What do you like?

maryanntex Mar 9th, 2009 06:42 PM

Check out the stores and restaurants along West 6th between West Lynn and N. Lamar. Galaxy Cafe is good for breakfast, and Jeffrey's is great for a really nice dinner (both of these are actually on West Lynn, but in that area. Sweetish Hill Bakery is a good place to grab a bite for breakfast or lunch. There are nice shops along West 6th. Check out Julian Gold for women's clothing, and the craft/jewelry stores just west of Sweetish Hill.

Also good for dinner is Wink on North Lamar. Fairly expensive, but as I recall, not quie as expensive as Jeffrey's.

I also love Vespaio on South Congress for Italian food, but it gets noisy later on in the evening, and they don't take reservations. So go early if you decide to eat there. South Congress Cafe is also good.

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is very interesting and should be pretty in May. I was there on Mothers' Day Weekend a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

SportyMom23 Mar 10th, 2009 08:10 AM

wonderful suggestions...thank you.

sarge56 Mar 11th, 2009 06:08 AM

SportyMom23- And don't miss the bats at sunset! Congress Ave bridge. Amazing!

http://www.austincityguide.com/conte...ats-austin.asp

volcanogirl Mar 11th, 2009 08:12 AM

Friends of ours just stayed at Vintage Villas out by the lake and really liked it. www.vintagevillas.com is their website. It would be a good spot if you want a lakeview and want to hit the Oasis for lunch or dinner. The views out there at the Oasis are beautiful, and the margaritas are good. We went to Salt Lick barbecue last time we were there, and it was delicious - it's in Driftwood, out in the country, neat atmosphere. Hula Hut is another popular spot on the water. We like to go to Mt. Bonnell for another great view. If the bats are in season, definitely go see them.

dfr4848 Mar 11th, 2009 09:22 AM

Lots of good recs. If you can get a good deal, would highly recommend the Four Seasons. Very nice hotel with southwestern flavor and beautiful grounds. Downtown, right on Town (Lady Bird) Lake with hike and bike trails. Great pool and bar area. Very close to 6th St venues and SoCo. I wouldn't pay their regular rate, but we've gotten some really good deals online.