Austin Hotel -Should we stay downtown?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying 3 nights in San Antonio, then spending 2 nights in Austin. I have never been to Austin, but heard that it was a cool town and that the action is on 6th Street. The Driskill Hotel is very close(and looks interesting) but pricey at $300/night. Does anyone have other hotel suggestions for a nice hotel within walking distance to "Austin things to do"?

If I don't stay downtown, is there another area that's recommended,meaning accessible to good restaurants and activities - and any hotel suggestions for that area?

I've noticed there is a Duck Tour offered. Has anyone taken this and is it any fun / recommended?

I appreciate all the good advice everyone provides on this board! Thanks in advance.

Than
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:49 PM
jd

We stayed at the Hilton downtown a few months ago, and liked it a lot. Its fairly new, and had nice rooms,rooftop pool, gym, and a location that is convenient to walking to 6th st.
We did the Duck Tour, and thought it was fun. Reserve it ahead of time; it fills up fast.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:53 PM
P_M

There are quite a few hotels in the downtown area for less $ than the Driskill. I recommend doing a search on Orbitz and I think you will find many options. If you find something of interest and you want more info, post it and I or someone else will tell you what we can. Enjoy your stay in our city.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:24 AM
P_M

I thought of something else later. I recommend that you avoid staying east of I-35.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 01:26 PM

The Driskill is lovely, but I would stay at the Hilton or Omni Downtown and just go for a drink at the Driskill's bar!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:39 PM
trippinkpj

The Radisson is in a nice location on Town Lake, and should be more affordable than the Driskill. I haven't stayed their personally, but have releatives who stayed there and really liked it. Check your dates on www.radisson.com.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your replies. I am too late to change hotels - all other recommendations are booked as there are several groups in town during our dates. That's ok, we'll have a great time anyway.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Is the Driskill any more than the Four Seasons? If it's not, I'd stay there--nearly as centrally located without the noise of Sixth Street and a stellar property.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Are you interested in staying in a B&B? I just got back from Austin and stayed at the Star of Texas Inn. I was there during the tail end of SxSW and there weren't many rooms available in Austin so I felt lucky to get a place. The Inn ended up being really great and a bargain. It is near the University (only about 10 minutes from 6th street). The breakfast was wonderful and the hosts were very nice and helpful. The price for my room was under $100 and I would definitely stay there again.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:20 PM

I agree, hotel san jose is a good place. never stayed there but always meaning to. It's close to the congress cool places (like b-fast at el sol y la luna) and also close walk to the bats and the river area and not very far from zilker park. However, for nightlife and cool restaurants, you can't beat Hilton. Another option (less pricey) is Hamton in on San Jacinto. 6th street is fun but quite young. I'm 30...something (hehe) and I like the 4th and colorado bars better. both walking distance to both of these 2 hotels.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM

Use Priceline. I always get the Hyatt for around $40 a night. It's really nice, great location and good service.