Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Austin and San Antonio in December (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/austin-and-san-antonio-in-december-1692262/)

ekhayes Oct 18th, 2020 02:10 PM

Austin and San Antonio in December

Has anyone been to Austin/San Antonio during Christmas time.

We plan on arriving 12/26 spending 3 nights in Austin, then heading to San Antonio for 4 nights.

Would the River walk boat cruise be too cold at night? I would love to see it all lit up.

Any tips? we do have a child age 10 with us. So plan on hitting up the Alamo too.

Nelson Oct 18th, 2020 03:25 PM

We were there Christmas week 2014. There happened to be a huge ice storm in West Texas that drove temperature to below freezing plus high wind in Austin/ San Antonio for a couple nights around New Year's Eve. Otherwise it was sweater weather and plenty of people were walking around. Definitely have some warm layers with you.

If you get a chance go see the Johnson City lights. We also stayed in Fredericksburg so were close, but there must be tours. Looks like some events are canceled this year, but the lights aren't.
https://www.johnsoncitytexas.info/li...ectacular.html

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...941edfea27.jpg

sludick Oct 19th, 2020 08:57 AM

Just some warm layers. It could be really warm, it could be chilly, but unlikely for icy conditions or too cold to enjoy River Walk. Enjoy.

J62 Oct 19th, 2020 09:04 AM

Agree, SA at Christmas is a great place and definitely not too cold for a river boat ride. At it's widest point the "river" there is about 2 boat widths wide and the riverwalk is all below the surrounding ground level so it's calm and sheltered. When I lived in TX many moons ago we would occasionally go to SA between Christmas and New Years. We stayed at the Hill Country Hyatt west of town which is excellent for families. I don't recall if the lazy river is open at Christmas, but IIRC at least one of the pools was heated and open. ymmv.

The one thing to check for is the date of the Alamo Bowl, and avoid a day before or 2 before because of possible crowds. In a "normal" year the fans from both teams can take over the city, mostly in a good way... Not sure what the plan for this year is.

sludick Oct 19th, 2020 09:31 AM

J62, we've stayed at the Hill Country Hyatt a few times for Thanksgiving holidays! Such a great space, with the big Texas fireplaces and ranch feel, and great Christmas feeling.

J62 Oct 19th, 2020 10:41 AM

Hey sludick - I think I might have seen you there.

Were you the guy with the black suburban, a couple of kids, deere hat, wrangler jeans and big belt buckle cinched 3 sizes too tight?

sassy27 Oct 19th, 2020 03:43 PM

I was there at the end of December maybe 4 years ago. I got there on Christmas Day and left 5 days later. It was cold as I was coming from NJ and had my winter parka which I wore the whole rime. I was told it was unseasonably cold. So much so, I made it in their newspaper as they ran a story about the cold weather and took my picture as I walked down the street.

I went to Fiesta Texas and while waiting in line for a ride, a young girl asked me where I was from. She told her mom, that she should have wore a coat like mine instead of their jackets (pull over hoodies). I laughed and said, I didn’t think I’d need it here. Hats, gloves and scarfs came in handy too. I think it warmed up after I left. I want to say there were blankets on the boat but it could have been because of our guide. I went once at night and once during the day and it was just cold at night.

We did do all of the missions as well. I was there for Thanksgiving last year too. I loved it but missed the Christmas lights which just shouldn’t be missed.

sludick Oct 20th, 2020 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by J62 (Post 17169471)
Hey sludick - I think I might have seen you there.

Were you the guy with the black suburban, a couple of kids, deere hat, wrangler jeans and big belt buckle cinched 3 sizes too tight?

LMAO!!!! No, thankfully, we are a small and unimposing couple without big buckles. Although DH does have an affection towards Deere tractors.. :lol:

tom_mn Oct 21st, 2020 12:48 PM

I visited the Riverwalk last year in mid-February and have to say that the cold was memorable, low 40s, stiff wind, constant drizzle, and almost completely deserted. There were a few boats going with a couple of people each. It's not really a cruise, more like a kiddy carnival ride. The gardens were beautiful regardless. https://www.wunderground.com/history...date/2019-2-19

Seamus Oct 21st, 2020 08:46 PM

You just ever know what the weather will be, and it can change on a dime. Pack layers, and include gloves and scarf just in case.
The river at Christmas is one of my favorite things - all those multicolored fairy lights strung in the trees!
Your itinerary has you in SA for NYE, which is usually marked with a big downtown festival. Not sure what will happen this year what with COVID.

Daniel_Williams Oct 23rd, 2020 04:28 PM

I've been to the Austin/San Antonio area 3 different years around Christmas/New Years: 2003, 2004, 2014. 2003 and 2004 were great (I was in SA and Houston, not Austin those years); temperatures were in the upper 60s to mid 70s, it was so pleasant; I even remember my cousin in Houston picked me up with the top off his convertible. 2014 I remember was overcast and a kind of a humid cold in Austin; with a high in the upper 30s. I wore my parka, scarf, hat and gloves; I found it not pleasant to be out for long. I'm from Canada but I found the cold to be very damp and bone-chilling. The high was in the forties my one day in San Antonio and it made for a brisk Riverwalk boat tour but I do remember finding it do-able Definitely a dice roll with the weather!

sludick Oct 24th, 2020 05:32 AM

Daniel_Williams - glad to hear somebody say it, about that humid southern chill. One year I flew from Orlando to Denver in January - Orlando was that sort humid cold in the upper 30s. I was freezing. It seemed warmer in Denver - at 20 below (F).

Daniel_Williams Oct 25th, 2020 06:18 AM

Sludick-- As I was leaving Austin to catch a bus to Houston in 2014, the sun came out. I remember sighing as I was boarding-- it had been overcast my whole visit (which happened to be my first time to Austin) in Austin; with the sun out I found it actually pleasant (naturally appropriately dressed), but alas I was leaving. Not to say that I didn't have a nice trip, and I very much appreciated certain indoors offerings, in particular the stellar Bullock Museum of Texas History and the truly excellent State Capitol tour, but as I would discover in a later visit, a big part of what makes Austin a memorable and worthwhile destination is the outdoors stuff such as the beautiful Greenbelt trails along the Colorado River and its tributaries.

Michael Oct 25th, 2020 08:52 AM

South of San Antonio there is a string of old missions that are worth a visit:

https://flic.kr/p/7T58ng
https://www.nps.gov/saan/index.htm

lynni Oct 26th, 2020 12:06 PM

The Riverwalk is gorgeous with the holiday lights but parking can be a nightmare so take great care with where you are staying and if you plan to spend most of your time at the Riverwalk and its surrounds, then stay right on it, not somewhere where you'll need your car. That's my very best advice. It will be more expensive but well worth it.

TheTravelingLocals Oct 29th, 2020 02:04 PM

I agree with most people, the weather should be perfect, just bring a sweatshirt of light jacket. The Riverwalk at Christmas is one of my favorite things to experience, you'll love it!

ekscrunchy Oct 24th, 2021 07:33 AM

Having to cancel Sicily for the third time (Alitalia is out of business and other airlines require at least two stops to get to Catania---Delta is charging now $14,000 per bus tix. EACH. The new airline does not fly to Catania, I do not believe....

I am thinking about going from NYC-Austin or San Antonio and then home. We would rent a car and want the top hotels and eating places as this is a BIG birthday for me. Want to eat that famous Texas BBQ with ribs and brisket...and go to Hill Country.....

Seamus Oct 24th, 2021 06:21 PM

ekscrunchy - in SA it doesn't get any better than Hotel Emma, it's where world class performers stay when in town and they give it rave reviews. Restaurants there are also superb.

TheTravelingLocals Oct 25th, 2021 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy (Post 17298948)
Having to cancel Sicily for the third time (Alitalia is out of business and other airlines require at least two stops to get to Catania---Delta is charging now $14,000 per bus tix. EACH. The new airline does not fly to Catania, I do not believe....

I am thinking about going from NYC-Austin or San Antonio and then home. We would rent a car and want the top hotels and eating places as this is a BIG birthday for me. Want to eat that famous Texas BBQ with ribs and brisket...and go to Hill Country.....

For a serious, authentic Texas style BBQ, take the short drive north to the Salt Lick in Driftwood TX. There's a vineyard there that sells wine, and if you'd prefer beer it's BYOB. The food is fantastic and the bbq pits being used are enormous. It's a great afternoon.

melproffit Oct 31st, 2021 08:47 AM

Salt Lick BBQ is a very fun and worthy stop (been twice) for BBQ. But you will find much better BBQ in other spots.
Be sure to look at wether or not any Q place is open before going because some of them take the week from Xmas to New Years off.
Austin-Franklin, Stiles Switch, Micklethwait, La Barbecue
Lockhart-Kreuz Market, Smitty's Market, Black's BBQ, City Market
San Antonio-2M Smokehouse
San Marcos-Hays County Barbecue
If you love pie Texas Pie Co. in Kyle
and for a really fun experience and great BBQ, look into an early morning drive and wait in line (SATURDAY ONLY) to Snow's BBQ in Lexington.