Aussies need info on quickest route from Mammoth Lakes to Vegas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 05:02 PM
Cherilyn

Hi

Could someone tell us the quickest way from Mammoth to Vegas how long it would take? Also, is there anything we should not miss in Mammoth. We are only using it as a stop over as the drive is to long to Vegas with the kids. Thanks&

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 06:10 AM
Bernard

I'm not sure where Mammoth is. But one of the best web sites for directions is www.mapquest.com. The site provides on-line maps and accurate driving directions and times.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 06:55 AM
LVLarry

The quickest wat to travel from Mammoth to Las Vegas is via Death Valley. Go south on 395 and then cut over to Nevada through Death Valley. I do NOT recommend this route if you plan to travel in the summer. The heat through Death Valley can be very dangerous to both you and your car.

The Mammoth area is mountains and lakes. There is nothing in particular that is outstanding. It is a nice area if you like the outdoors. It is a very popular ski area in the winter.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:20 PM
cherilyn

Is first week of October considered too hot to travel through Death Valley? Thanks

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 03:36 AM
Kaja

Hi,
My boyfriend and I just travelled that route in the opposite direction. We went through Death Valley (this was the last week of July). It was not too hot then, but we called to check temperatures before we took that route. Death Valley was an amazing place!
Along the road through Death Valley there are several places you can get radiator water for the car if you have any problems.
I don't think you will have troubles taking that route in October.
We used about a day on that route, but we used a lot of time in Death Valley and we also went to the 4500 year old bristlecone pine forrest not far from Big Pine on 395. It was really interesting to see the old forrest!
We also went to the ghost town of Bodie which is north of Mammoth. If you have an opportunity to include that in your trip it is worth it!
Kaja

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 10:45 PM
LVLarry

The first week in October should be just fine. The weather should be quite pleasant through Death Valley. Mammoth on the other hand can be pretty darn chilly and maybe some snow. You reach some pretty high altitudes.