Reload this Page >

Aussies' itinerary for 12 days in NE USA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 11:29 PM
aussie_usa

We're Aussie parents and 10-yr old in NE for 12 days after DisneyWorld, looking for a moderate-paced trip, late Sept. Is this about right as time allocation?:
- into Wash DC for 4 days
- Virginia and Williamsburg (driving) 3 days
- Amish Country Gettysburg (driving) 2 days
- NY - 2 days.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 02:30 AM
phil

Sounds like a great trip! While in Washington, you might want to spend some time at the air and space museum. Your child should find it interesting.

I think you might find 2 days in NYC insufficient. There are so many great things to do in NY, that you might feel rushed in a couple of days. Also, the drive from Williamsburg to Gettyburg could take several hours. If the drive was allocated into the 2 days, you might not have much time to see Amish country and Gettysburg.

You might want to consider the Washington DC area for 1 less day and allocating it to NY.

In any case, have a great time.

Sorry, one last thing...I heard about a nightly Ghost Tour in and around Gettysburg that a 10 year old could find interesting.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Owen O'Neill

I agree with the suggestion to take a day from the DC side of schedule and add it to NYC. If your DC plans prohibit this then try to take it from the VA/Williamsburg part of the trip. If it was me I'd take a day from both and spend 4 days i NYC because there's so much there to see and do.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:23 AM
jim

I'd say your timetable looks good. The Gettysburg part may be a little off. I only say that because the main feature of the area is the battlefield -- buy a tape or CD and take the self-guided tour -- and I'm not sure how interested a 10-year-old Aussie might be in the history of the American Civil War. I guess you can judge that for yourself. Apart from the battlefield tour, there's an interesting museum there that might intrigue a youngster. I guess you'll be the best judge of that. Have a good time!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:37 AM
James

To be honest, when we went to Gettysburg several months ago, I was very dissapointed, there wasn't much to see. Unless your really into the Cival War I would opt to go somewhere else. I agree that spending an extra day in NYC.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 10:48 AM
rqf

Gettysburg is an interesting visit for most. Not sure it would appeal to a 10 year old. As suggested in other notes youo might cut out one day in D.C. and add one day to NYC

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 01:44 PM
frank

For sure, 4 days is too long for Washington. Two is enough to see the major sights. Skip Gettisburg, and do new york for as long as is possible and affordable. I would suggest a minimum of 4 days.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Susan

We took our 10 and 11 year olds to NYC for a weekend and they were very unimpressed. That age likes to be active. A string of cities with museums can be boring. The top of the Empire State Building was ok, the theatre was fun, the Living History museum was ok but the best part of all was climbing the rocks in Central Park. Your child will probably like the Amish Country because the lifestyle is so different. I would look at Hershey, Pennsylvania. There is an amusement park, garden, etc.plus the chocolate.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Philip

I would definitely take a day off of DC and put it on NYC. Of course I'm predjudiced because I live in NYC.

Do NOT skip Gettysburg and Amish country. The town of Lancaster is really nice. Take your child to see the cyclorama in Gettysburg. I went to both Gettysburg and Lancaster several times when I was a child and I think this area of the country would provide a relaxing atmosphere between the frentic pace of DC & NYC.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Ann

Well, I live in DC, and I'm prejudice. With a 10-year-old, I would stick with your current itinerary. While I personally would spend more time in NYC, I don't think your kid spends a lot of time going to bars to watch bands at midnight.

DC's a great city, and 4 days is a good amount, particularly as you'll be battling jet lag for a bit. Late September is the perfect time to come here--pleasant fall temps, and not quite so many tourists as in the spring. You'll love it.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Philip

I am really surprised at some people's comments concering children and NYC. There are so many things for children to do in this city. If you come to NYC and your child doesn't have a good time, it's because you either don't know your child's interests or you don't know NYC.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:33 AM
NY&DC MAN

DC is much better for kids than NY. First, DC is much less stressful. The museums are free and it is not as hectic. Plus, kids are much more likely to be impressed by national monuments than the temples of capitalism.

NY is a playground for adults. Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Central Park, Times Square. The kids will be happy and you will not blow all your money on NY hotel rates.

Colonial Williamsburg takes a day, and Busch Gardens or the waterparks will take another.

There is a great minature gold course in Gettysburg when the history gets tiring.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Philip

Let me make a few kid friendly NYC suggestions that I have successfully used on my nieces and nephews. First of all, when you get to NYC buy the magazine Time Out. This events mag has a listing of special events for children.

Ride the Staten Island Ferry. It's free, you get a great view of the Statue of Liberty and it's a lot of fun. After the ride, walk a few blocks up Broadway to Bowling Green to see the 3.5 ton bronze bull. Have your camera ready because your child will want a picture on top of this over-sized symbol of finance.

Eat at Jekyll & Hyde Restaurant on Sixth Avenue between 57 & 58th Street. Yeah the food is mediocre but the entertainment is to "die" for.

Take a visit to the Central Park Zoo where kids can see a live polar bear, walk through a rain forest and see penguins & puffins among other interesting animals. Cost is adults $3.50, children, 50 cents. If you are a little more ambitious and have the energy take a trip up to the Bronx Zoo, where you could spend an entire day and not see all the animals.

Take a walk through New York's favorite toy store, FAO Schwartz on 5th Avenue, where the elevator is a robot. There are toys to fit everyone's budget.

Visit the Lower East Side Tenement Museum which shows the apartments of three different U.S. immigrants from the 1800's. Their website is www.tenement.org

The Children's Museum of Manhattan is always fun on a rainy day. Their website is www.cmom.org

I'm sure other people on here will have other good ideas which I have missed.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:08 PM
patty

As someone raising a 6-year-old in Manhattan, I agree with Philip that NYC offers a lot - too much even - for children. Because of the age of my child, the activities I know of skew a bit young for the 10-year-old but there must be something to interest him/her here in my wonderful town.

First, and always first I believe, Central Park. Besides the Zoo which was mentioned, if it's nice out you can rent a real rowboat at the Loeb Boathouse or a model boat at the Conservatory Water (both on the more East side of the Park, around 74-75th St). From the zoo, it's an easy walk to the Carousel. Then there's the castle - Belvedere Castle - at 79th St, with Shakespeare Garden, Delacorte Theater and Swedish marionette cottage close by the castle. And uptown, at 110th St & Fifth Ave, Dana Discovery Center with the gorgeous Conservatory Garden near that Center. Usually there are activities for kids on the weekends at the Dana Discovery Center and sometimes Belvedere Castle - look it up in Time Out NY.

Riverside Park has less for older children (although with all its playgrounds, wonderful for younger ones). If it's eating outdoors weather, you can take it easy at the Boat Basin cafe at 79th St. We live uptown so we're more often at the Dog Run Cafe at 105th St next to the beach volleyball courts. My nephew the daredevil loved the skateboarding/extreme biking & blading halfpipes and tubes (I think that's what he called them) in Riverside up around 108th or 110th St.

We've been at Chelsea Piers a lot lately because my girl has gotten into ice skating this summer. In addition to Sky Rink, Chelsea offers a Field House with gymnastics equipment, rock climbing and batting cages; bowling alley; golfing; and roller blading. There was also a summer camp of skateboarding and rollerblading - it may be open to the public.

As for museums, my daughter loves MOMA (parts under construction now though - it may be closed by your visit), Guggenheim, Whitney and the Cloisters (way uptown); and at the Met, Temple of Dendur, American Wing and outdoor sculpture garden. Of course Natural History Museum and Rose Center & Planetarium. I know a 7-year-old boy who loves the Intrepid and the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum. I also know a 5-year-old boy who went nuts at the New York Fire Museum on Spring St in West Soho. And all of my child's kindergarten class enjoyed the Forbes Galleries on Fifth Ave & 12th St. They went to see the fabulous Faberge egg collection (because they studied Russia), and also got to see the cool toy soldier and boat collection. It's not open all the time, so check their schedule.

Hope I've helped - oh and walking around Chinatown and having dim sum brunch!

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Bill

I'm with the consensus - less DC, more NYC.

Williamsburg and Busch Gardens will be great (though Disney World may have spoiled you for amusement parks, in which case, cut out a day. Any interest in baseball? Baltimore would be a good stop if the Orioles are in town. They have a great children's museum and aquarium, along with a fun harbor area.

Instead of Gettysburg and and Amish country, maybe one of the New Jersey beach town for a couple nights. Very peaceful in mid-September, but still warm.

More NYC: The aircraft carrier (Enterprise?) is a great museum, though perhaps more appealing to boys than girls. A show, to be sure. My kids loved "Stomp". Top of the World Trade Center beats the Empire State Building, especially in good weather when you can go outside. Just wandering around Times Square after dark is not-to-be-missed.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Merilee

I think that Gettysburg won't appeal much to a child...the main attraction - the battlefield is just that - a huge field - yes, there's an audiotape tour, but it's a long way to travel for that - or the diorama. If you go to Amish country I highly recommend Miller's Smorgasbord Restaurant in Ronks - it's an unbelievable feast and you can taste shoofly pie! DC is definitely worth it - and there used to be a restaurant called La Nicoise there - all the waitstaff were on rollerskates! Williamsburg is charming - try one of the "authentic" colonial restaurant right in the village - there's one with a storyteller and music - and the menu reflects the period. Busch Gardens is great if you like roller coasters. I think New York City is the place you shouldn't miss. It's a wonderful opportunity for your child to see so many different people, cultures, and neighborhoods. Chinatown, Little Italy, Greenwich Village, just to name a few. A good show to see would be Blue Man Tube...another good "theme" restaurant is MARS 2112 on Broadway in the 50's. The food is good and the atmosphere is out of this world. Enjoy!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 01:35 AM
Drew

NY and DC both have their high points, but clearly DC and Virginia are the areas you want to be if you want to dive into US history and culture. DC has so many things to see for FREE at the Smithsonian - Air and Space, Natural History, National Gallery, The ZOO etc...you'd need 4 weeks, not 4 days, to see it all. DC is so much more kid friendly than NY - anyone who has been to Air and Space and seen the excited throngs of children running from one space capsule to the next would have to agree that MOMA pales in comparison in the eyes of a child.

No one has even mentioned the other sites to see in Virginia. There are many many historic homes to tour as you work your way to Williamsburg. See the home of George Washington just outside of DC, if you're taking Route 95 down to Williamsburg be sure to stop in Richmond VA at the state capitol building. There is a 30 min. tour of the capitol given by the sweetest southern ladies you'd ever want to meet - the most valuable statute in the US is in the Richmond capitol (George Washington). From Richmond I would strongly suggest leaving Route 64 as you head East to Williamsburg and swinging down the local roads that skirt along the James River. You'll find many historic plantations available to tour that are almost untouched since the Civil War - a few still have cannonballs visible imbedded in their walls!

Please don't get me wrong, I love NY but it is an international city that will not give you a perspective on US history like DC and Virginia can provide.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 07:02 PM
XYZ

If you still want to go to the Pennsylvania places, you might stop in Philadelphia on your way up to NYC. Then head into Amish country going north, and through the northern and western parts of New Jersey (if you don't go the beach route) for pretty scenery on your way into Manhattan.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Elizabeth

I live in NY, know Washington somewhat. I agree there is plenty to enjoy with children in Washington for the number of days you've planned.
In NY, however many days you are here, I would add these to an itinerary with a kid--in the Metropolitan Museum, forget the paintings unless your child likes them, and go to the Hall of Armor (or whatever it's called), where the display is relaly exciting for kids.
Also the Temple of Dendur is good for five or ten minutes, a real temple from Egypt re-erected in the museum.
& the rest of the Egypt exhibit.
The Metropolitan Museum & the Museum of Natural History are the ones for kids, to my mind. You could even trek across the park with some pleasure, from one to the other. They are roomy and kid-friendly.
I wouldn't take a child to the Museum of Modern Art, myself, unless the child is one who specifically likes art museums.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:19 PM
harry

Dear Aussies:
Do not waste your time in the Amish country. It is one big tourist trap. I know, because I live near there. You would find much more interseting sites in Philadelphia or New york City

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -