Aussi fam asks What to do in Jan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Australian family wants to do something for one week in January that isn't too cold. Any suggestions? Is the Grand Canyon too cold? Will consider any US destination.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:03 PM

Hello infoaddict, January is winter of course but there are some warmer spots especially further south. What do you and your family enjoy?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi LoveItaly! Apart from Italy, of course! Unusual landscapes, a bit of a splurge, perhaps, in accommodation, hot springs, desserts, and for something completely different, great architecture. (How's that for contrasts?)
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:04 PM

LOL infoaddict, although Italy in January is rather wet and cold I would love to be back there.

Hmm, you have a variety of interest..I would say that San Francisco has some very interesting architecture and although you would probably get some rain it would not be freezing cold and it is still a beautiful city that most people, especially you lovely people from OZ, enjoy and it has wonderful restaurants and quite a variety of hotels and lots of wonderful places to explore and experience.

In that you will have one week I would think that staying on the westcoast of the US would be the best to save you flying hours.

The further north you go the colder it will be (Oregon and Washington).

I will let our Southern California and Arizona Fodorites address the subject of visiting there..San Diego, Grand Canyon etc.

BTW, my father who was born in Wellington, NZ was raised in your Australia, but I am sorry to say I have not been there.

Most Australians do love San Francisco, just had some friends from Canberra here a few weeks ago and they wished they had planned more than four days for SF.

Lets keep this thread going for you..to see what other Fodorites suggest. Best regards.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LoveItaly. Sydney and San Francisco are sister cities and share many things - great food, different ethnic groups, a wonderful harbour, etc. You must travel to Sydney for a beach and food holiday someday! If anyone else is reading this, would you be able to suggest combining Grand Canyon with something splurgy in the dessert region for January? Cheers.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:38 AM

Infoaddict,
Have you got your fares booked etc? Are you already coming to the USA anyway and are planning to add on one week, cos one week is really a short to come/go for such a long trip.
How about San Francisco and then drive to Los Angeles on the coastal road. I know it can be rainy at this time, but that is what we are going to do in January. We also have 10 days at Steamboat skiing, which I guess is too cold for you. Qantas are now flying in and out of SF again, as well as LA so this is now a good optiion for you.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:22 AM

Many people combine the Grand Canyon with a visit to Las Vegas. Phoeniz/Scottsdale is another option but it won't be guaranteed to be warm there. (I arrived in Phoenix in Jan. one year with bathing suits and summer clothes and it was snowing )

I would head to San Diego instead. It's a lovely spot with something for everyone--the zoo, Legoland, Sea World, some great museums in Balboa park, good food, gorgeous scenery and beach (although it won't be swimmable in Jan.)

http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...=san_diego@136
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

We are doing one week in NY and one week skiing - probably Salt Lake City - and we've already been to LA and San Fran.. so looking for something different. I remember seeing the Grand Canyon when I was a child and it made a huge impact on me. Was wondering what we could combine with the Grand Canyon - are there any hot springs nearby?
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Two years ago we went to Sedona in Jan this is south of the Grand Canyon and is still high enough elavation to be very chilly in the morning. We stayed in the Junipine Resort in Oak Creek Canyon, since it was winter it was a totally different scene as the trees were bare and we could see so much more of the area.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:40 PM

Sedona is where all the "snowbirds" from Seattle go in the winter. I haven't been myself, but it is supposed to be beautiful, even in winter, and I'm sure there are some nice luxury resorts with hot pools. Perhaps start a new question about that?

The Grand Canyon (south rim) is open all year around and beautiful anytime. In January you might have snow, but it could also be sunny. At 7,000 feet in elevation, it will still be cool even if sunny. Try to book at one of the lodges right on the rim---El Tovar or Bring Angel Lodge.

Good choice on the Salt Lake area for skiing. Have you decided on a resort? We love Snowbird/Alta.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Hello again infoaddict, my stepdaughter and SIL that love to ski have recently been going to Park City which is just a ways from Salt Lake City. You might want to check that out also. They also love Snowbird. It sounds like you will have a wonderful trip! Best wishes.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Have you been to the US before?

I agree that one week is a very short visit for such a long haul. It will take a few days just to get used to the time/date change.

Assuming, you only have one week...

I would suggest a week in New Orleans with a possible day trip to a plantation or nearby city - it will not be cold at all.
http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...ew_orleans@110

Another possibility would be Tuscon combined with Pheonixz/Scottsdale (it will feel like spring, but Grand Canyon will be FREEZING COLD).
http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...ion=tucson@159
http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...scottsdale@120

San Diego will also have nice weather in December.
http://fodors.com/miniguides/mgresul...=san_diego@136

So will Hawaii.

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:14 AM

infoaddict,

Sorry - just saw your replies. Still think New Orleans or southern Arizona are good choices. Also possibly San Diego as it is very differnt from SF or LA.