Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   auntgrapes Where is the GTG in NJ in May? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/auntgrapes-where-is-the-gtg-in-nj-in-may-505816/)

yeadonite Feb 21st, 2005 09:45 AM

auntgrapes Where is the GTG in NJ in May?

Famousuncleart wanted me to ask. You mentioned it in his photo album comment.

tpatricco Feb 21st, 2005 09:56 AM

The NJ GTG is May 21st in Weehawken at Paula at Rigoletto Restaurant.

yeadonite Feb 21st, 2005 10:29 AM

Thanks! What is the time of the GTG? Do you RSVP before hand?

tpatricco Feb 21st, 2005 11:27 AM

Tentative plan is to start around noon. Final plans will be announced on the board in early April.

It is likely that an RSVP will be necessary as the restaurant only holds 35 people and the event is growing in popularity.

Kal Feb 21st, 2005 11:40 AM

8-)
<i>&quot;At this point in time...Da Kals, from the Great State of Collie-Forrrnia, wish to give an 80% RSVP&quot;</i>

P'Line is being such a bitc# but we'll work it out. Don't tell me we may have to stay on the &quot;Jersey side&quot;?

Budman Feb 21st, 2005 04:31 PM

Kal, I feel your pain. ((a)) ((b))

Rhea Feb 22nd, 2005 04:20 AM

Message for Kal:

You do NOT have to stay in Joisey.

If you &amp; Mrs Kal stay in the Big Apple
as our visitors from South Africa did
last fall, you can take the $5.50 each
way 7-minute ferry to Weehawken from West 38th Street. There is a
free bus to &amp; fro on a circular
loop in NYC.

auntgrapes Mar 24th, 2005 02:45 PM

Oops, I just found this...Yes, we do hope Famous Uncle Art will join the group. We promise a good time for all.

Kal Mar 24th, 2005 05:35 PM

Rhea,
How did I miss your response??

We're about only 50% sure now but we will def stay in NYC and take the ferry over. Wadda experience. I can smell it and see now! \:D/

jersey Mar 24th, 2005 06:39 PM

Yikes Kal...now you know were gonna have to crack Cali jokes at the GTG.

SusieQQ Mar 25th, 2005 12:34 AM

For Rhea:
Please! I have lived in New Jersey for over 40 years and have NEVER heard &quot;Joisey&quot;.
By the way, Why are you coming to this GTG in NJ if it is so distasteful, Kal and Budman?

Rhea Mar 25th, 2005 05:02 AM

For SusieQQ; Are we sensitive or
what? As a child my family vacationed &amp; then bought there -

Note to Kal: NYC Hotels going condo so there are less of them,
ergo, higher prices so if you're
serious about flying East you might
want look into accommodations.

tpatricco Mar 25th, 2005 06:38 AM

SusieQ, I've lived in Union County area of NJ all my life (almost 34 years) and have heard &quot;Joisey&quot; plenty of times...mostly in jest. There are plenty of jokes about NJ going around...can't you take a joke?

If you knew Rhea as we who attended the last GTG do, you'd know she is just joking around and not critical of the Garden State at all.

We welcome and look forward to meeting all Fodorites both from near and far at the next GTG in May! Trish

tpatricco Mar 25th, 2005 07:10 AM

By the way SusieQQ - Budman is the organizer of the GTG!!! We are all looking forward to this event and anticipating Kal's visit as well!

Kal Mar 25th, 2005 11:44 AM

TUFF CROWD!!! C:)

OK....take a deeeeep breath....take your hand off your mouse....close your eyes and picture me and Mrs Kal hoofing it towards W 38th street ferry location right around sundown, probably late as usual...The smell of the MidTown streets wafting all around....

Sun setting....sky getting redder and redder.....getting near the water....the smell of the river, fish, diesel from the busses going by and the ferries....getting on board and getting your &quot;sea legs&quot;...the sound of the ferry horn as it pulls away, the gulls squealing away, a quick turn back to look at the Manhattan sky line bathed in a gorgeous sunset, light reflecting off of the windows....then a glance at the water, The Statue of Liberty slowing lighting up....getting Ellis
Island goose bumps... smelling the sea breeze and feeling some spray, the bit of a chill, Mrs Kal's cold nose as I steal a quick peck and the view of the nice looking buildings on the Jersey side.....

Now <b>that's</b> what I meant about <i> &quot;Wadda experience. I can smell it and see now!&quot;</i>

Maybe I'll have to bring a &quot;Kal Syllabus&quot; when I come or maybe I can come with sub-titles? :-?

&quot;California jokes&quot;?? Isn't that being redundant?

Since I've lived here from '57, I think I may have heard them all...but your more than welcome to take you're best shot.
Thick skin, thick skull and broad shoulders. ;)

tpatricco Mar 25th, 2005 01:25 PM

Kal, the GTG starts at noon...by sunset all the wine will be long gone!!

Also, you can most likely take the NY Waterway bus from someplace near your hotel for free right to the ferry terminal so you won't have to &quot;hoof it&quot; at all!

Budman thinks it might be too early for priceline yet...

yeadonite Apr 23rd, 2005 01:50 PM

What is the status?

kybourbon Apr 23rd, 2005 04:34 PM

The GTG info is on the Europe board. Email tpatricco or budman as there are a limited number of spaces.

auntgrapes Apr 23rd, 2005 08:04 PM

The status is...we are on for 21 May at Paula's in Weehawken, NJ. We hope yeadonite and Famousuncleart will join us. tpatricco is taking names. Hope to see you there !

Budman Apr 23rd, 2005 08:08 PM

Here's the link:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34599535 ((b))