Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   August vacation - If Not Aruba or hurricane alley (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/august-vacation-if-not-aruba-or-hurricane-alley-625421/)

Nathan Jun 21st, 2006 04:14 PM

August vacation - If Not Aruba or hurricane alley

I am having difficulty choosing where to go this August (from Boston). I had a great trip to St. Maarten last May, been to Aruba in July, but don't want to risk hurricane cancellations or revisit the same place.

I'm open to just about anything on the North American side of the globe, North of Mexico, except the following. Any ideas? Vancouver? Las Vegas (too hot), Florida (too hot), Canada (no thank you)...

What do I like? St. Maarten activities, not just a beach. Plenty of choices for day trips and must sees. A book and a wine tour isn't going to cut it.

Just free wheel with ideas. Thank you in advance.

Nathan

trippinkpj Jun 21st, 2006 04:44 PM

I'm just going to throw out some places i like for August/ Summer in general. Let me know if you want more info on any of them:
Seatlle/ Puget Sound
Portland/ Oregon Coast
Lake Tahoe/ Sierra's
San Francisco/ Bay area
Carmel/ Monterey/ Big Sur
San Simeon/ Pismo Beach
Santa Barbara

irecommend Jun 22nd, 2006 03:44 AM

Reconsider "Canada, no thank you. Two excellent vacations that you would love, love . love- Quebec City is like the best and if you love beaches, beauty and nature with tons to do try Prince Edward Island-no one will tell you there is anything better!!

Dan Jun 22nd, 2006 03:54 AM

Vancouver is fantastic. You mention it as a choice but then say "Canada, no thank you?" Don't really understand that since Vancouver's definitely Canadian.

Vancouver is one of the prettiest cities in the world and combined with Victoria and Vancouver Island makes for a really enjoyable vacation week.

irecommend Jun 22nd, 2006 02:50 PM

But you could drive to PEI Check it out!!

saps Jun 22nd, 2006 03:42 PM

As Ron Burgendy said in Anchorman "San Diego...it is German for whales #$%@&"

How can you go wrong with that :-).

Nathan Jun 22nd, 2006 03:50 PM

Thank you, all. Still open for suggestions. Yes, I realize I said, Canada, No thank you, but then realized Vancouver may be nice. I was thinking Eastern Canada at the time.

I'll look into Vancouver, but wonder how hot Lake Tahoe is in August.

Nathan

EnricoIV Jun 23rd, 2006 08:23 PM

Lake Tahoe is in the mountains. It may get "warm" - but shouldn't be "hot."

fuzzbo Jun 24th, 2006 06:04 AM

Cour D'Alene,Idaho perhaps?

Banff, Alberta, Canada

trippinkpj Jun 24th, 2006 08:34 AM

Lake Tahoe could be warm, but not hot as previous poster said. And it's dry, not humid with cool nights.

trippinkpj Jun 24th, 2006 08:35 AM

My wording was funny. I meant I agree with Enrico: it shouldn't be hot. :-)

amaclise Jun 24th, 2006 09:20 AM

Second Banff (and Lake Louise). We went in August and it was beautiful even a bit cool.

blondiepopo Jul 11th, 2006 09:32 PM

Lake Tahoe is not too bad in the summer. I live in Vegas and it's 108 here in the daytime now. I think I'd skip Vegas for now if you don't like HOT haha.