august trip check-in with the "experts'

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
august trip check-in with the "experts'

I'm abit reluctant to pose another itinerary for the "experts" to assess; however, I will anyway! We're two couples heading for Alaska next Aug. Here's our plan:
day 1 - arrive and overnight in Anchorage/ p/u rental car
day 2 - leave for Denali with multiple stops along the way: Talkeetna and photos
day 3 - shuttle to Wonder Lake and hiking there (and lots of photos)
day 4 - more hiking around Denali with/or without shuttle into park (and more photos)
day 5-7 - leave for Wrangell/ St. Elias for hiking and visit to Kennicott mine, stay several nights in Gakona (more photos)
day 8 - leave for Valdez with short hikes on the way (guess what..more photos) overnight in Valdez
day 9-11 - Ferry to Whittier, travel to Seward - take Northwestern Fjords tour one day, exit Glacier and other hikes, and ? last day. (of course, more photos)
day12-14 - drive to Homer and stay 3 nights - Hike, sightsee,and perhaps a trip to Kachemak
Bay State Park with a hike.Also a boat trip to Halibut Cove for lunch or dinner
day 15 - Return to Anchorage - maybe party at Chilkoot Charlies.
Day 16 - tour/hike Anchorage, leave for home later that night (with lots of film!)

We're not rushing through, need lots of time for photography and hiking as you can see. Any suggestions, additions or comments would be much appreciated. We're on somewhat of a budget and have picked out small inns and B & B's. Thanks for all your anticipated help!

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 05:44 AM

Sounds like a nice plan, only suggestion I have is to plan on mid August or after. Before then you will run into significant bug problems in Denali Park, if you are going earlier August, then switch your route for Denali Park last.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BQ, we are going mid August, and hopefully we'll be past many of the bugs, I hope! We've been to the Yukon previously in July, and we had about 3 -4 hours of darkness. What can we expect in mid-august? Any idea about the time of sunrise and sunset? If anyone has any suggestions, we'd appreciate tips or "to do's". We've heard that Polychrome in Denali is wonderful during low light part of the day. Any idea if that's am or pm? Thanks again.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:54 AM
jq

Not expert, but have been to many of these places and sounds pretty good. Don't know much about Wrangle or Valdez but have done all the rest. Should be enough time to see the areas. Consider Halo Bay 1 day bear viewing at Katmai NP from Homer if you want one splurge.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:02 AM

No expert here either, but this is pretty similar to the itinerary we did last summer (except fot the Wrangell-St. Elias part, which I wish we'd done!). Sounds like a great trip. My only suggestion would be to consider adding a day in Valdez for hiking or other outdoor pursuits. I thought Valdez had the most beautiful scenery we saw on our whole trip. The town itself isn't great but the area around it is jaw-dropping.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:08 AM

With going mid August- I would still encourage you to change your route around and go to Denali Park last. Daylight will have sunrise around 5-6am with dusk 10pm+ not the daylight of June by no means. Twilight is extended so you can add an hour of that usually.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you who replied. Our lodging dates are pretty well set and I don't know if we can change Seward to 2 days and add another day to Valdez..but I will look into that. Anyone have any idea about how long the drive from Whittier to Seward is? Also, Seward to Homer spit and Homer to Anchorage? By the looks of Girdwood/ Ayleska, it would be great to go there on the way back to Anchorage. Is that possible to stop or is there not enough time between driving from Homer to Anchorage? Also, what are people's favorite hang-outs in Anchorage? We heard mixed reviews re: Chilkoot Charlies. Any suggestions for a last night party? Thanks, and I've learned alot from all of you.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:32 AM

Homer to Anchorage is 225.8 miles. We figured about 5 hours. Whittier to Seward is 67 miles. Don't forget you have to wait for the one-way tunnel to be open in the direction you want to travel. Maybe 3 hours from Seward to Homer Spit.
Chilkoot Charlies can get rough. The bouncers accidentally suffocated a patron about a year or two ago. If you don't mind risque, the Great Alaskan Bush Company is a popular place for a single guy and his friends to celebrate a birthday. As for me, I liked the dinner show in Soldotna with Hobo Jim. He plays several bars in Homer, Seward and Soldotna.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Per the MILEPOST-
Anchorage/Homer is 233 miles, Homer/Seward 180,
Seward/Whittier 91

Also don't expect always 55mph+++ driving. Plenty to slow you down, RV's, endless cruiseline buses on cruise days, construction, accidents etc. Allow plenty of time. If you have all day- then you have time for a stop at Girdwood from Homer to Anchorage.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM

Nice plan...here's my blow-by-blow:
a. Talkeetna is a great stop for FLIGHTSEEING on Mt. McKinley. Opt for GLACIER LANDING. Great photo-op. We used it for our Christmas card.
b. We loved the Denali Backcountry Lodge. NOT CHEAP, but nice accommodations at Katnishna...at the end of the road. TIP: we flew out from Kantishna with Kantishna Air Taxi. GREAT flight.
c. I recommend the KENNICOTT GLACIER LODGE in the McCarthy area. Another photo op: take the FLIGHT from Chitina to McCarthy. Also, your RENTAL CAR CONTRACT will NOT apply on the Edgarton Hwy. back to McCarthy.
d. I like the Aspen Hotel in Valdez.
e. NEW FERRY between Valdez and Whittier: the Chenega!
f. In Homer, consider the Alaska Coastal Marine trip to Seldovia. Fun!
g. In Anchorage, don't miss ALASKA NATIVE HERITAGE CENTER.
h. Check out TourSaver coupon book for 2-for-1s.
i. Have fun!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. The ideas you've provided are great. I'm alittle cautious now about Chilkoot Charlies...is it a young rowdy crowd? We are 2 couples who are "young" middle-age and love to dance. Any other suggestions for a last night fun-night? We have checked with the car rental agency and know we can't drive the McCarthy Rd. We were thinking of a trip to Kennicott mine and some hiking near there. Any one know of transportation or guides to get there? I just hear about the Saturday market in Anchorage. What time does it run and whereabouts? Sounds like something we'd like if we're there at the right time. Thanks for the milage/ time estimates. That helps alot. If there are any hikers out there who have knowledge of nice day hikes I'd love to hear from you. Your tips are so helpful...sorry for so many questions.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM

Not a completely related question, but what ever happened to the woman who posted the long Alaska trip about a year ago? I cannot remember her screen name, but she did a solo trip all over alaska, including a boat trip north of Anchorage with cranky passengers, had some credit card problems, and ate at the ___? dog saloon. I remember she left the husband and kids at home and used to be quite active on this board.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:08 PM

In August sunrise is about 5am...sunset about 11pm, give or take and depending on how far north you are. There will be mosquitos...bring bug dope w/deet. Chilkoots (Koots) is huge..there are rowdy rooms and not-so-rowdy rooms. It's all noisy. By far better entertainment is the Fly by Night Club. It's comedy and music w/a spam fetish thrown in. See www.flybynightclub.com. Girdwood is cute and small. Try to have dinner at Double Musky if you like cajun. They are closed on Mondays and don't take reservations, but locals will stand in line outside for the steak. See www.doublemuskyinn.com Have fun and watch out for the motorhomes and moose.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:41 AM

The Market is Sat and Sunday from 10am to 6pm in downtown Anchorage beginning May 14. When I googled I saw info about a Spring Market that will be held indoors. Other towns, including Homer have Saturday farmers markets where you will find crafts as well as fresh produce (depending on season) and homemade goodies. The Homer market also had fresh oysters.
Independence Mine in Hatcher's Pass between Wasilla and Palmer could be a stop on your way to Denali if you want to explore an old mining town. A couple of buildings have been restored.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:48 AM

There is a "shuttle" to Kennicott, but my clear preference is to fly in. Not only is it transportation, it is extremely scenic too, plus a great time saver. I suggest you consider purchasing
55 Ways to the Wilderness, Southcentral Alaska. Excellent hiking guide that I have used for a few years.

Would it be the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau??
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:15 PM

or the Salty Dog in Homer
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

I've received alot of help with our trip thanks to all of you. I'm wondering : if we decide to do a bear watching trip from anchorage just for the day where would you reccomend we go, who to use, and do any of you know about how long a day it would be? We'd like to do it earlier in our trip, but it may not be possible. Thanks for your help, once again.