Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   August/September Weather (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/august-september-weather-549413/)

Jaisy Aug 5th, 2005 03:58 AM

August/September Weather

We are going to be in Yellowstone and Grand Titon National Parks the last week in August and first week of September. Can anyone give me an idea of how the weather should be and what we should pack? A couple of years ago we hit snow this time of year in Yosemite.

tcapp Aug 5th, 2005 03:15 PM

Your weather should be just fine, there shouldn't be any snow or anything like that. It's always a good idea to pack an umbrella or a light sweater or Jacket. To be extra-sure, you could call the Parks Service or the place where you're staying and ask them.

tcapp Aug 5th, 2005 03:15 PM

ttt

Wayne Aug 6th, 2005 07:41 AM

Sorry, I just had to laugh. Your reference to Grand Titon made me think immediately of Dolly Parton.

stjohnbound Aug 6th, 2005 03:11 PM

Jaisy, you'll probably get more replies if you repost with Yellowstone-Teton in the title. August/September Weather is just too general. To answer your question, we were there in September and it was gorgeous during the day and just perfect for shorts and long-sleeved shirts. It was cold though at night - very cold.

JBHapgood Aug 6th, 2005 07:43 PM

Wayne, if Dolly Parton spoke French Grand Teton would indeed be an appropriate reference to her. For "Grand Téton" indeed means "Big..."-- you get the idea. Actually, Grand Teton is one third of "les trois tétons," an extraordinary endowment indeed were it not referring to mountains. The French trappers who named those mountains clearly had gone too long without female companionship!

I've always been amazed that a Congress so devoted to "Family Values" would continue to fund a national park whose name, if translated and broadcast, would earn the broadcaster a fine from the FCC.

As for the weather in Wyoming, the word is "unpredictable." It's still summer, but temperatures can range from warm to chilly. Dress in layers and be prepared for anything.

mcfarms Aug 8th, 2005 11:16 AM

The weather should be nice but be prepared for very cold and or very hot. You could get both in the same week, or day for that matter. You will definitely want long pants and sweatshirts/coat for evening. Dress in layers. September snow storms are not unheard of but I wouldn't pack your snow gear.

Wayne Aug 8th, 2005 12:10 PM

Actually, Hapgood, my response was to the incorrect but comical spelling in the original post title: Titon rather than the correct Teton. I couldn't help thinking a bit naughtily.

But as for the word Teton when spelled correctly, I am not so sure it means what you said, Hapgood. It looks to me more like some kind of a derivative of the French word for "head" which is "tete."

nytraveler Aug 8th, 2005 04:22 PM

Definitely be ready for cold weather at night - we did a business trip to Denver one year on Sept 6/8. It was 85 in NYC - and there was 6" of snow in Denver when we landed - although it "warmed up" to about 50 the next day.