Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   August 25 - Aspen, Crested Butte or Snowmass Village - Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/august-25-aspen-crested-butte-or-snowmass-village-hotels-945715/)

MissVicki22 Aug 6th, 2012 05:21 AM

August 25 - Aspen, Crested Butte or Snowmass Village - Hotels

I am looking at hotels in the Aspen area and find they are quite pricey for August dates. I see Crested Butte and Snowmass Village is not too far. Any recommendations which location might offer more to do and good hotel options?

tomfuller Aug 6th, 2012 07:26 AM

Stay in one of the two large old hotels in Glenwood Springs.
Ride the RFTA bus to Aspen. http://www.ci.glenwood-springs.co.us/transpo/1a.htm
The world's largest hot spring fed swimming pool is close to the two hotels along the Colorado River in Glenwood Springs.

tekwriter Aug 6th, 2012 08:12 AM

Although Crested Butte looks close on a map, it's a four-wheel-drive only road, so it's not a convenient alternative. Have you tried Aspen Mountain Chalet? Reasonable rates and excellent location, right in the heart of Aspen. Stayed there a few years ago and loved it!

MissVicki22 Aug 6th, 2012 10:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out Glenwood Springs and also the Aspen Mountain Chalet.

Patsy_Popejoy Aug 6th, 2012 02:50 PM

Snowmass Village is definitely less expensive than Aspen, you get more bang for your buck and it's only 8 miles away. Free shuttles back and forth to Aspen. Go to www.snowomasstourism.com and click under stay or go to www.stayaspensnowmass.com and click under Snowmass.

sf7307 Aug 6th, 2012 06:58 PM

It's a 20-minute drive back and forth to Snowmass. Probably less expensive than Aspen for that reason, but if you can swing it, stay in Aspen -- it's nice to be able to go outside and walk to shops, restaurants and bars.

williamscb13 Aug 7th, 2012 10:48 AM

Crested Butte is not far as the crow flies, but a 3 to 4 hour drive away from Aspen though if you're up for it you can always hike between the two towns!

MissVicki22 Aug 7th, 2012 11:27 AM

I appreciate all the suggestions. It sounds like there is more going on in Aspen then Snowmass for a couple without kids?

sf7307 Aug 7th, 2012 03:18 PM

That is an understatement!!!!

PeaceOut Aug 7th, 2012 04:57 PM

We like The Gant in Aspen. It is walking distance to town, and they have a shuttle as well. It is a condo/hotel set-up. Very nice and reasonably priced.

PeaceOut Aug 7th, 2012 05:08 PM

I checked The Gant, Aug 25- 29. They are having a 72-hour Sale.

A standard one bedroom, one bath condo is $210. The upgrade is $260. They have three quality levels, determined by how recently it was renovated.

I can personally recommend The Gant. We have stayed there, and so have friends. It has a front desk, two swimming pools, beautifully landscaped grounds, and a tennis court (for a fee). A spa, too, I think. And daily maid service.

Tomsd Aug 7th, 2012 08:49 PM

If you have a car - no problem to drive down the valley a bit (or take the bus) - from Snowmass to Aspen. Just find a place to stay that suits you and you can easily enjoy the whole area.

PeaceOut Aug 8th, 2012 06:55 AM

I hope MissVicki jumps on The Gant sale. I doubt she'll find a better deal, and it's a wonderful location within Aspen proper.

MissVicki22 Aug 9th, 2012 12:29 PM

Thank you all. I just booked the Gant for Saturday night. Great deal. Looking forward to my stay in Aspen!

PeaceOut Aug 10th, 2012 07:27 AM

Yay-- you will like it. Please report back.

MissVicki22 Aug 10th, 2012 07:53 AM

Sure will. Quick question what's the better or more scenic route from I-70 to Aspen - Route 91 through Cooper Mountain or Route 24? Both go through Leadville then Route 82 through Independence pass correct?

PeaceOut Aug 10th, 2012 02:36 PM

I am not sure. You mean Copper Mountain?

Independence Pass is beautiful, but challenging to drive. Can you do it when you leave Aspen, instead of at the end of a long trip?

MissVicki22 Aug 11th, 2012 03:34 PM

Yes Copper Mountain I mean. I thought I saw a site says the Pass was closed. That would be a bummer since I missed it last time to Colorado.

MissVicki22 Sep 11th, 2012 10:18 AM

Hello all. Happy to report my trip to Colorado was great. We loved the Gant hotel! I wish we were able to stay longer! We took Independence Pass from Vail to Aspen, which was amazingly beautiful. The Sebastian Hotel in Vail was really nice as well - highly recommend. We also visited the Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs, which was really neat.

Thanks to all who helped guide me in trip planning!

Tomsd Sep 11th, 2012 10:30 AM

Thanks for filing a post trip report. Love all those places, especially driving over Independence pass.