Attractions at Universal for Seniors

Jan 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Attractions at Universal for Seniors

Hi. I am hoping to bring my older parents to Univeral Studios in April. Dad will be using an electric scooter, he is mobile but not agile. I haven't been there myself and so not sure which rides/attractions would be best suited for them. I a trying to avoid dropping/spinning/wild shaking type of rides. Any advice would be appreciated.
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM

The rides at Universal are not tame. They are, in general, geared a lot more toward teens than the rides in Disney.

I do think that Universal has the best Theme Park food in the country. Mytho's is a really nice place to eat in the park.

I am sure that your parents will have a fine time while there. I just wouldn't expect to many rides like Peter Pan, or Mr. Toads Ride.
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Hello kyeager

I was just at Universal last week for a day, and I must say that I found it a bit of a disappointment.

If you are trying to avoid rides with "dropping / spinning / wild shaking," then I'm not sure there will be much for your parents to ride. The entrances to the rides have warning signs that state, in essence, not to proceed if you've got such and such problems (back, neck, high BP, dizziness, etc.)

There were a few shows that might interest them, but on the whole I'm not sure it sounds like a good fit.

Have you perhaps thought about taking them to Sea World? Now there's a place anyone of any mobility can enjoy. When I took my 80 year old parents there, they loved seeing the whales, feeding the dolphins, and all the rest. Great day!

Happy travels!
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Are you talking about Universal in Florida or California???
I've bben to US Orlando and have to disagree with the other posters. There is plenty to do there. The theming is wonderful. I go to US Orlando with a friend who does not like "thrill" rides and they love it. It is NOT geared just toward teens. I am well over 50 and still love to visit Universal Orlando.
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM

I have to agree with schmerl. There is plenty ot do and see at Universal. The theming is lots of fun and there are plenty of shows to be entertained. It is obvious as to which rides to avoid - coasters and flumes. In the Studios park there is the Horror makeup show, Terminator 3D, Twister, Shrek, ET, Jaws, Earthquake and possibly Men in Black (lots of fun and really jsut a laser gun game the cars are very easy to get into). There are lots of nice "themed" restaurants to sit and have an nice break and a cocktail, if you wish. Our favorites in there are Finnigan's and The sit down restaurant at Fisherman's Warf.

There is also Citywalk which has shopping and restaurants.

Islands of Adventure has more of the big rides, but still fun to see. You might be able to give Spiderman a try as it is not a coaster but you are going from room to room watching a big 3D movie. The car does move a bit but it is more of the movie. The overall theming of Islands of Adventure is reason enough to see it.

I am assuming you are talking about Universal Orlando. The weather in Orlando during April is just about perfect...warm, sunny and low humidity.

For more ride info, go to the universal orlando website and there is description of each ride.