Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION NYC...any suggestions on how to get Hairspray tickets? I waited to long....

ATTENTION NYC...any suggestions on how to get Hairspray tickets? I waited to long....

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:44 PM
Toni

Hi all,

A friend and I will be in New York Oct 23-27 (a quick first visit and we are really looking forward to it) I thought that we'd be able to get tickets this far in advance but I tried ticketmaster yesterday (for the 24-26th) and they only have a few seats left and they are on the sides of the theatre... seats that I have heard are not good...

We also called a broker and were quoted $275 per ticket. A little more then I wanted to spend.

Because our time is unfortunately so limited, standing in a line for hours for tickets (which I've heard lots of people are doing) is a luxury we can't afford.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or are we out of luck...??

Can't wait to visit your beautiful city. My Mom's from Brooklyn (moved to L.A. over 55 years ago) and she still misses it...I've heard of her adventures for years.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:48 PM
xxx

Your heading has terrible spelling. I am a New Yorker and I refuse to read your post.

{It's, "I've waited too long"}

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:04 PM
NYGirl

Toni-we got ours through Ticketmaster -try them again, they open up blocks of seats just about every week.
Good luck!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:16 PM
Toni

That's such good news!!!!
I didn't know that they sold them a bit at a time! I'll check every day!

Thank you!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:29 PM
Toni

NYGirl...
are these "new blocks" that you're talking about, tickets for future shows OR are they releasing seats for a show, say, that ticketmaster is saying is sold out now but they actually have seats for??? (Does that make sense?)

We want to go on Oct 24, a Thursday night, and Ticketmaster is saying that they have very few seats available. (just crummy on the side seats)

SO, does that mean that they really do have seats, that they're just not selling them yet????

I'm sounding redundant I know, but I want to make myself clear. ;0)

Thank you all, especially "xxx" for the grammar lesson!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:48 PM
xxx

Try looking on ebay.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:30 PM
Toni

Great Idea!!! I just checked and there's nothing being auctioned for Oct 24th but I'll keep checking...
Thanks!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:42 PM
NYGirl

Toni-
A few weeks ago, my husband started checking to see if there were tickets available.They would give him awful far away seats and said that was all there were.
He called a couple of times but last week when he called, the block of tickets had just gone on sale, I think that they make sure every single seat for every night is sold before they start the next "block" of seatings. We got ours for December 4th. Not because that was the first available, we wanted them for that time. And they also told him that they had extended the show until March, when it had been only until Nov.
That is all I know and I hope I have it all right
Good luck!!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:00 PM
Howard

Don't get you hopes up about calling back and finding they have tickets for those October dates. When they talk about a new block of tickets, they mean blocks of tickets for future dates. Believe me, they're not holding back October tickets. The only tickets that are held back are what are termed "house seats." If any of those become available, it would be on the day of the performance.
One option you do have is going early on the day of the performance and getting standing room.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:25 PM
xxx

This years Hairspray is last years The Producers. Tickets are going to be very tough to get. Best of luck.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:32 PM
Lucy

Ticketmaster does release tickets at different times. They hold many tickets until the day of the event also.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:47 PM
elaine

Toni,
I just went to Ticketmaster online. There are tix available for Hairspray for Oct. 24. Hope you read this message soon!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 06:52 PM
Toni

Elaine,
The tickets that are available are on the sides and from what the Fodorites have posted, those seats are not good for an unobstructed view...???

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:03 PM
Howard

Toni, it depends on how far over and back the side seats are. If they are far enough back (say row N or beyond) and aren't any further over than seats 17 or 18, you'll be able to see okay.
You may have to sacrifice somewhat if you want to see the show in October!
I repeat: The chances of finding better seats via Ticketmaster between now and then are slim to nonexistant!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:23 PM
Toni

Are these seats OK????

We are holding these tickets for you:
SECTION MEZZ, ROW K, SEATS 5 TO 7
PRICE LEVEL 2
LEFT OF CENTER STAGE
MIDDLE OF MEZZ
LEFT MID MEZZANINE

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:26 PM
Toni

Howard....thanks for help...I'm going to post a new message too!

Thank you all!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 03:38 AM
elaine

Toni,
Did you purchase Hairspray tickets?!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:47 AM
Howard

Yes, Toni, take those tickets. You're a little ways back, but you'll be able to see okay. Seats 5 and 7 would be the third and fourth seats off the aisle, which should be okay.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:36 AM
Frank

Toni: If you don't mind sitting apart, it's easier to get single seats. Row V center orchestra, seat 115, came up for 10/24.

I also noted that, SECTION MEZZ, ROW K, SEATS 5 TO 7, are still available, I guess Toni hasn't bought them yet. Interestingly no one else has either.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Toni

Toni here:

We bought tickets!

SECTION MEZZ, ROW K, SEATS 5 TO 7
PRICE LEVEL 2
LEFT OF CENTER STAGE
MIDDLE OF MEZZ
LEFT MID MEZZANINE

We tried to get single seats but couldn't...there was only one good seat in section V that Frank mentioned.

I can't thank you all enough for hanks so much all for your replies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information