Deer Valley ski trip

Old Nov 20th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deer Valley ski trip

We're doing a girls' ski trip mid January this year and would like to try Deer Valley. Are hoping to not have to rent a car. Will probably ski 3-4 days, preferably green and blue runs. It looks like there are 2 areas to stay in Deer Valley. Is one any better than the other? We don't need ski in/ski out but would like a fairly easy walk to the lifts. Looking to spend less than $600 per night for a 2-bedroom.
Thanks.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 05:58 AM

There are plenty of blue and green runs at DV.

We haven't stayed there, but have stayed in DT Park City without a car and used the bus to get to DV.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 07:10 AM

Hi Kathysa,

I live here in Park City and it's snowing right now!

The lower part of Deer Valley is called Snow Park and the upper part is Silver Lake. The general rule of thumb at Deer Valley is the higher up you are, the more everything costs. True for lodging, home services, everything.

The free shuttle buses will take you everywhere you want to go in the entire Park City area - DV, PC, historic Main Street, Canyons, Kimball Jct., outlet stores, Olympic Park.

One thing about Deer Valley - the Silver Lake area is a LONG drive down to Main Street where all the restaurants and nightlife are. Deer Valley as a whole is pretty quiet at night. There are a variety of restaurants, most very expensive, but no nightlife to speak of.

For myself, I would prefer to stay somewhere around Main Street or Park City Mtn Resort base area.

Are you coming during MLK weekend? If so, it's an extremely busy weekend and you better hurry and get reservations.

Also, the Sundance Film Festival is from 1/16 - 1/29 this year. Lodging prices will be sky high during that time (although there is always a wide range of $), but the slopes are not crowded during the festival so it's great for skiers! You might even want to try and see a couple of films, they are excellent.

Restaurants on Main Street are nearly impossible to get in during the festival, but if you look off Main Street there are plenty of fabulous options.

Hope this helps,
Dayle
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. That helps quite a bit. Darn, we'll have to plan around the film festival. That's about when we were thinking of coming out but maybe we'll shoot for early February instead. If we were to stay in Park City, how much of a pain is it to ski Deer Valley every day? We definitely want to ski Deer Valley for the pampering (girls' trip away from husbands and kids doesn't happen often). Being middle age, we won't be staying out late but will want to eat/shop in Park City. Is the lower part of Deer Valley decent to stay at? Can you walk to the lifts?
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Go on vrbo.com or similar. Lots of condos available for way less than $600/nt. The farther out you are (i.e. Kimball Junction, Redstone, Newpark)the more you get for your $$, usually. If you stay in Deer Valley - more $$ - you will have to take the free shuttle to Park City restaurants. I don't think you can walk to the slopes at DV unless you stay in a ski-in/out but I may be wrong. If you don't want a car, you will have to use the shuttle anyway to get around. DV is a bit out of the way for restaurants and shopping. You're right about pampering at DV. It's great and very user friendly. Others may disagree but we love the Seafood Buffet at DV for a splurge.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 10:54 AM

If you look at a map, you'll see that Deer Valley Ski Resort is at one end, the town on Park City (Main Street) is in the middle, and Park City Ski Area Is at the other end. The two ski areas are about 3 miles apart. So, you can stay anywhere from Deer Valley to Park City, and not be more than 3 miles from DV. (you can also stay in the surrounding areas, which of course will be less expensive the farther you go from the ski areas).
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM

If you stay DT, where there are an abudance of restaurants, I think you can leave your skis and boots at DV, so you don't ahve to haul them every day. We've stayed near the Transit Center DT, which was extremely convenient, and have taken the bus to ski (at PC, DV or Canyons) every day.
Old Nov 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM

February is a better time to ski-not so cold!