Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ATMs with no transaction fee? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/atms-with-no-transaction-fee-463843/)

cawhite Jul 31st, 2004 01:17 PM

ATMs with no transaction fee?

Hi everyone,

Are there any banks in Hawaii (BI, Oahu, Kauai, Maui) that do not charge an ATM fee for cash withdrawls when you use an ATM card from another bank?

I know where I live in California, for example, Washington Mutual does not charge me for cash withdrawls even though I don't have an account there.

Thanks!

here_today_gone2Maui Jul 31st, 2004 01:33 PM

Not that I know of.

Budman Jul 31st, 2004 02:13 PM

Here in New Jersey, if you go to a WAWA (it's like a 7/11 convenience store in most states), they don't charge you to use the ATM. They want you to come in and hopefully they'll get your business to make up for the fee.

When we were in Maine last month, I didn't go searching, but the two ATM's I used charged me $1.50 for the transaction. ((b))

mikemo Jul 31st, 2004 02:47 PM

If I'm reading the "small print" correctly, USAA Federal Savings Bank "rebates" the first 10 or so transaction fees each month.
I'm away so cannot check the paper trail. I'm about to shift to them from my more convienient Bank One account to save same.
Their CCs are "best" overseas as well - charging the 1% V or MC fee and giving a 1% rebate on my Plat MC.

Fodorite018 Jul 31st, 2004 06:50 PM

USAA is definitely the way to go for everything, if you can.

Budman Jul 31st, 2004 07:11 PM

I'm not sure everyone is eligible to get a USAA bank account or credit card. Aren't there some eligibility criteria? USAA stands for United Services Automobile Association - a military organization? Maybe they've opened their bank up to the public? ((b))

cawhite Jul 31st, 2004 07:28 PM

Thanks everyone,

I'm actually not looking to OPEN a new account. I just want to USE my E-Trade bank account ATM card in Hawaii with no fees if possible. Since I don't like to carry a lot of cash, I'll probably be hitting the ATM quite often and don't want to rack up too many fees.

We do have a bank in CA, as I mentioned, where you don't have to be a member to withdraw cash from another bank account.

E-Trade bank only has 3 CA branches... the closest one is 2 hours away from my house. But I am able to withdraw cash as often as I want, from my account, through this other very nice (I might add) bank.

Sounds like there may not be such a bank in Hawaii?

Budman Jul 31st, 2004 07:40 PM

Not so fast!! Has anybody from Hawaii chimed in to answer this question? It seems to me that there might/should be some ATM's that don't charge a fee. ((b))

Fodorite018 Jul 31st, 2004 08:21 PM

The USAA bank is open to anyone. Their insurance is for military only though.

here_today_gone2Maui Jul 31st, 2004 08:49 PM

I don't know of any banks here that do not charge an ATM fee, but there is a E-trade kiosk in Hawaiian Moons Natural Foods in Kihei. I bet you can find others if you look. Doesn't the website give you ATM locations?

here_today_gone2Maui Jul 31st, 2004 09:02 PM

cawhite, I bank at WAMU on the mainland and I can tell that more than once I was forced to pay ATM fees from other banks on a Sunday or holiday because the ATM at the WAMU branch was out of cash, due to the great popularity of their no ATM fee policy. WAMU will refund those fees, but only if you go into the branch that was out of cash with your transaction receipt from the other bank. Grrrrr.

cawhite Jul 31st, 2004 09:14 PM

Oh my gosh... I can't believe I didn't think to look on my bank's website for ATM locations. I just *assumed* they would not be available in Hawaii... but I was quite incorrect. Apparently there are 26 locations! Thanks here_today... once again you've helped me out.

Carole

here_today_gone2Maui Jul 31st, 2004 10:13 PM

No problem. I just know that E-Trade kiosk is there because that store does not accept ATM cards, but the E-Trade ATM is prominent at the font of the store.

crys Aug 1st, 2004 02:09 PM

A trick I often use to avoid ATM fees in Hawaii (or really anywhere in the U.S.) is to buy something (even a bottle of water or a package of gum) in a Safeway or Wal Mart (or any other chain that takes ATM cards--most do now) and get extra cash. You can usually get up to $50 extra.