Atlanta to So. Vermont in December?

Old Oct 11th, 2020, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta to So. Vermont in December?

We are considering driving up to VT for the holidays. However, we would like to avoid major cities, traffic delays, etc. What is the best route without also needing a four wheel drive vehicle? We would like to do it in two days, so would stop for the night in a hotel, but not planning on doing any site-seeing on the way. All the travel sites seem to just give us the I-95 route which seems crazy - going through all the major cities up the coast. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 11:32 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to be aware of Vermont's regulations for out of state visitors . At present, there is a two week quarantine upon arrival. That is one of the reasons that VT has the lowest incidence of COVID. There is mandatory mask wearing too although most wore them before the mask mandate.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/respon...veling-vermont
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 06:44 AM

Are you comfortable driving in snow and ice? Highways in northern New England are very well maintained, but snow and ice storms can mean white knuckle driving. You don't really need 4wd (doesn't help with skidding and stopping), but having good tires is essential. You can sometimes get away with good all season tires, but snow tires are the safest. As the above mentioned, covid is a big issue.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zootsi View Post
Are you comfortable driving in snow and ice? Highways in northern New England are very well maintained, but snow and ice storms can mean white knuckle driving. You don't really need 4wd (doesn't help with skidding and stopping), but having good tires is essential. You can sometimes get away with good all season tires, but snow tires are the safest. As the above mentioned, covid is a big issue.
I am somewhat comfortable in snow/ice as i grew up in Vermont and have lived there on and off. We do have good all weather tires on the SUV, so i think we are ok there.
I am really just trying to figure out the best route without tons of traffic, but also avoiding mountains and winter weather potential issues.
Thank you!
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 09:07 AM

Atlanta to Charlotte to Roanoke to Scranton to Newburgh, then I-87 North to Albany then to Vermont.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 06:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you decide not to drive your own SUV all those miles you could take the Amtrak Crescent from Atlanta to Baltimore and then rent a vehicle there to go north through PA up to Albany NY and then east into VT.
You would be traveling many miles at night when you would be sleeping in a motel in Virginia if you were driving all the way. My style of long distance travel has become travel on Amtrak and then rent a car to make a big loop and then return home on Amtrak. Masks are required in all areas on trains except when you are in your sleeping compartment.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 02:05 AM

Ordinarily I would agree with georgeb944 but Albany to southern VT means going over Hogback Mountain which has a lot of switchbacks. I the roads are questionable, I wouldn't take this route. If you do Newburgh via I91 thru western MA to head up the east side of VT, the only part we didn't like was getting thru Hartford CT. You want to avoid rush hour. Probably Albany to VT via Rt 7 would be best choice depending on where you are going. Agree with Zootsi that good tires and just staying off the road if conditions are bad is best idea.

Here in NH the rise in covid cases and where we live has put us on the unwelcome list for VT even though in our town there has only been 2 cases. VT assesses each county and other towns in our county have more cases.
Good luck.

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 04:47 AM
J62

VT assessment of each county only applies to states in the northeast. Maine to Ohio/WV/VA. Travelers from all other states are required to quarantine.

"Residents of other states who live in a quarantine county or are from any other state outside of the Northeast (including New England; New York; Pennsylvania; Ohio; New Jersey; Delaware; Maryland; Washington, D.C.; Virginia; and West Virginia), must follow quarantine guidelines:" details can be found at..

https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/re...s-state-travel

Old Oct 13th, 2020, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in Fl and have not been able to see family in Vermont or NY since Feb. I don't see it changing anytime soon as they are getting a second wave. My family hasn't opened their restaurant. They clean 87 really well after snow storms. I guess it depends where you want to go. I went via Hartford one time with my GPS on non-toll roads. Very nice ride. We usually take the ferry from Ticonderoga but the crown point bridge wwold be best option. Vermont has kept their numbers low because they are so strict.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 06:49 AM
J62

Originally Posted by Macross View Post
I live in Fl and have not been able to see family in Vermont or NY since Feb. I don't see it changing anytime soon as they are getting a second wave. My family hasn't opened their restaurant. They clean 87 really well after snow storms. I guess it depends where you want to go. I went via Hartford one time with my GPS on non-toll roads. Very nice ride. We usually take the ferry from Ticonderoga but the crown point bridge wwold be best option. Vermont has kept their numbers low because they are so strict.
The Fort Ti ferry isn't open this year due to COVID, so Crown Point Bridge is the only option cutting over from NY to cross Champlain.
I agree that I-87, and really any interstate will be fine in Dec. Unless it is actively snowing at a rate of more than 1" per hour the interstates will be ok. I routinely drive that stretch of I87 north of Albany, and within an hour or so after the end of even a big snowfall the roads are cleared. Powder day is sacred around here and crews stay on top of things. The use of brine spray pre-snow helps keep the roadway surface wet vs iced up. If it is actively snowing then local state/county roads that wind and pass through higher elevation could be more of an issue, but snow storms are rare and don't come without warning that time of year.

Traffic is also an interesting question. With so many people still working from home/remote I know where I live the usual rush hour jams no longer exist. It also may be less of an issue even at the bigger cities, but others will have to chime in with recent experience.

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 08:18 AM

A quick update on VT travel restrictions: as of Tuesday the state is no longer using the complicated system of quarantine/non-quarantine counties. There is a mandatory quarantine for anyone coming to or returning to VT from another state. The only exceptions are for very limited essential travel.
https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-...vel-quarantine