Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Hotels: Where to stay one night before a flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Atlanta at the start and end of a three-week road trip.

When we arrive, we will stay for two nights at the Hampton Inn Downtown to be near the aquarium and other attractions in that neighborhood.

On Sunday, March 28, we will drive back to Atlanta where we will stay for one night. We will arrive in Atlanta at about 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, March 28, and our flight departs at 3:15 p.m. on Monday, March 29.

We would like to know where to stay outside of downtown that would put us near interesting places for dinner on Sunday and an attraction that is open on Monday morning (when some museums are closed).

I am thinking that a hotel near the Atlanta Botanical Garden or Piedmont Park might be a good option. (Our amusement park days are long past.)
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Concentrate your search for Midtown.

For location, Hotel Indigo is extremely well placed in Midtown. Rooms are cute, bathrooms teeny tiny, front desk staff v. good but the great thing is you can priceline/hotwire it. Starrs always scores it for cheap. We stayed there (we live in metro Atlanta) back in June--night away from the kids. I would definitely consider staying there again.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 03:42 AM

Midtown is good advise. The Buckhead area is not so far away, has a great selection of restaurants and every price range of chain hotels.

Do not stay in the airport area.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta Buckhead is a big favorite (#1) on TripAdvisor. Do you know anything about this property.

The rate at the Wingate includes parking and breakfast and it is $30 less than Indigo Midtown (which does not include breakfast and parking).

(We don't book by Priceline or Hotwire because we have specific requirements those services can't guarantee.)
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM

This location is in a nice neighborhood. You are nearby an abundance of restaurants. You are 2 miles from Lennox Square and Phipps Plaza, both world class shopping.

I have stayed at many Wingate and had good experience at all.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 05:40 PM

I completely agree with stumpworks.

I can't speak to taht particular Wingate and how it's managed, but the location is good. I always recommend either Buckhead or Midtown to visitors. Book whichever you can get at a better price. If all things are equal, Midtown would be more convenient for you.