Atlanta downtown restaurants for Saturday coffee and dinner

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When folks I know are traveling to/through Atlanta I go there to meet up with them and they always ask me to find/pick the place. You guys have helped me in the past, so here I am again.

One friend is going to be in Atlanta on a Saturday and available after a meeting that should finish around 10 am or so. We want to get together to catch up and let me meet her new husband. I suggested an early lunch and she suggested coffee somewhere. I am looking for a downtown place that would have atmosphere or a view where we could sit and visit for awhile while having refreshments, but not a buffet brunch or anything that big or formal. Any ideas? Anything overlooking Centennial Olympic Park? Anything high up in a hotel or with particular atmosphere?

Another couple Is coming in from the UK, staying downtown, and will also be available on a Saturday, but this time for dinner. Purpose again is to catch up and let them meet my husband. But the food and service do matter for them, so I am looking for a restaurant that offers good food/service (open as to cuisine) that tends toward a quiet atmosphere that allows conversation. Last time we met people in downtown Atlanta we went to Rays on the River for dinner. The food and service were good, but it did get a little noisy. I was there for lunch before and it was a good choice then. Maybe there is more than one room and we were in a different section? I don't really remember. Is there a place you would recommend instead of Ray's?

I'll check other sites you recommend--I think it is chowhound for local reviews?
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Oops. It was Rays in the City, not on the River, of course.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Check out: Legal Seafood, Ted's Montana Grill, French American Brasserie (FAB), and Thrive.

The Sun Dial restaurant at the top of the Westin is popular for its revolving views of the city, but I don't think it's known for great food. I like going there for cocktails though, and out of town guests seem to enjoy it.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, Cheryl.

I had not heard of French American Brasserie (FAB)-in the Allen Plaza development. That's a possibility for dinner and just a short drive from the Ritz hotel (my UK friend is on a cane, so no long walks for her right now).

Thrive looks quite trendy and interesting. Not too noisy music?

I've been to Legal Seafood, maybe in the Boston airport?
I'll ask my husband if he remembers. It says it has good views, but is located in a hotel.

I don't think my UK friends would like Ted's for a quiet dinner. I like the food. (We took a German friend to one--he always wants American steak dinner and we tried this as a variation, but we have found Longhorn to be the best bet for what he wants in an American steak dinner.)

Not having any luck with the late morning coffee meeting place so far. Starbucks seems so depressing a choice. But I know alot of the coffee shop places are probably closed on weekends in downtown Atlanta.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM

I've never been there, but also check out Room at TWELVE, which is in a hotel near Centennial Park. It's supposed to be very good and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Is there a particular reason you don't want to drive your UK friends to another part of town? When I have friends staying in a downtown hotel, I pick them up at their hotel and drive to midtown or VaHi to eat dinner and then take them back.
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

When I got the message about the dinner friends staying at the downtown Ritz and us going to Atlanta to join them for dinner, I understood that they wanted something close by.

But as I was typing about the cane and driving to another restaurant downtown, it would make as much sense to drive somewhere else if the restaurant isn't within walking distance for her. So that would give me endless options. When the time is closer, I'll find out what their schedule is like and how much time they will have for dinner. I'll also double check for cuisine or dietary restrictions. I haven't seen them for several years and I forget that circumstances change, like the cane.

I have been to the Sundial too. I didn't think of it after the damage from the tornado and just read some story about the hotel and the glass isn't replaced because it is no longer made or something like that. I will also check that if they like the revolving thing. I remember a good steak there, but my husband doesn't like those glass elevators.
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM

Coffee at the Ritz Carlton could be nice and quiet (and it's not Starbucks).