Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Atlanta-Charleston Historical Kid Trip in the works! Help Please!

Old Sep 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Background: I am in the beginning stages of trip planning for next summer and we have decided on a basic theme and scope of our trip. My boys are 10, 8 and 5 and they like to fly and enjoy car trips. The longest car trip we have done together was 8 days, 7 nights and they were great. We will fly from California into Atlanta (unless you can convince me otherwise)rent a car and drive to Charleston, South Carolina. We will have a day of travel on each end and I prefer to stay at least 3 or 4 nights in one location.

We chose this location because they are quite enamoured with the story of General Francis Marion "The Swamp Fox" and would like to see the area those stories took place, his burial place, The John Rutledge House and other historical sights from that period. Also, Fort Sumpter, the Maritime Museum and whatever else looks appealing! ( I have someone helping me specifically with the Swamp Fox areas of interest.)

I've never been to this part of the country before and want to provide them with the very best trip possible.

So for those of you familiar with the area, how should we break up the trip, what roads might be better than others to take what things are not to be missed for boys of this age. I'm hoping for some suggestions for other things to consider as I plan the driving route... we'd be leaving CA on June 11.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Why Atlanta? It is not very Swampy at all. If you have to fly into a big city try Charlotte instead and head toward the PeeDee area. Visit the Grand Strand (why not?). Take a day trip to Brookgreen gardens where you can take a river cruise and a see virgin forest land. Head toward Georgetown and then down to Charleston.

Personnally I would fly into Myrtle Beach or Charleston.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Mainly due to price... I can often find flights to Atlanta for under $400 where Charleston is usually $500 or more. Secondly, we have friends there that we'd like to visit if it works with their summer schedule. (I do realize it's not very swampy...lol.) I will look at Charlotte! Thanks.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 03:29 AM

Charlotte is closer. It's @ 3.5 hours from Charleston. When you get here take a cariiage ride to get a feel for what interests you. Walking tours are great for that too. Have you decided where you want to stay?
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Don't worry about flying in to Atlanta. If the price is right and you can make it work with your friends-great!! The drive from Atl. to CHS is five to six hours depending on time of day, etc.

There is not much between the two cities--Aiken, is the horse capital of SC (doesn't sound like that will interest your boys:-}). There are a couple of good museums in Columbia, which might make a good "pit-stop". The State Museum (http://www.museum.state.sc.us) has changing exhibits. They've had some great ones in the past. Perhaps some sort of military one will be upcoming?

My daughter loved Ft. Sumter. They had just studied it in school so I had my own personal tour guide

You might consider a tour of Cypress Gardens (http://www.cypressgardens.info/). It would give you a feel for what the Lowcountry used to be.

What about The Buccaneer Restaurant (http://www.thebuccaneerrestaurant.com/)? Supposedly it has a great collection of pirate goods. I'm sending my nephews there over Thanksgiving!

Nothing to do with "military" but the aquarium and the Children's Museum are always good places to visit with kiddos.

The IMax has reopened as Terrace Hippodrome Widescreen (http://www.terracetheater.com/). We saw one of the Harry Potter movies on IMax several years ago. Cool!!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I had noted the childrens museum and the aquarium... the horse farms would be great... thanks for the suggestion. I am going to AAA today for driving maps and after I make a gneneral plan will be back with more questions! Thanks so much!
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 06:15 AM

If you fly into Atlanta, look at Stone Mountain Park. Its a great way to spend a day.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:00 AM

In addition to Fort Sumter, I'd recommend taking your boys to Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island http://www.nps.gov/fosu/historycultu...t_moultrie.htm
You can grab lunch that day at the new Hometeam BBQ or at Poe's (as in Edgar Allan Poe)- both on the island. Super casual.
I'd also look into chartering a boat and exploring the marshes and all the wonderful wildlife here, if you have time.
It will be hot and humid here. You might consider staying on one of the nearby barrier islands (Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island). That would put you 20-30 min. from downtown Charleston.
SI has rental homes only but IOP has a couple of hotels/motels, as well as rental homes (but they'd be weekly rentals) and Wild Dunes Resort, which has the Boardwalk Inn and rental villas and homes. Wild Dunes would have lots to offer - pools, bikes, activities, etc. for the whole family. http://www.wilddunes.com/