Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Atanta Marta question (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/atanta-marta-question-338937/)

Dottie Jul 20th, 2003 08:45 AM

Atanta Marta question

Does anyone happen to know how many, if any, train changes I would have to make, to get from Atlanta Airport to Midtown? Also From midtown to downtown? Is it pretty easy to get this information at the Marta stations? Right now I am planning on staying at the Westin downtown,however I am thinking of changing to the Wyndham in midtown. Since it seem like it might be a nicer location.However if I do change I will need to use Marta a bit more then I was planning on.Also thinking of going to Buckhead for dinner. Would that be easy to do with Marta? It looks like it should be.

Is midtown a bit safer than downtown? Sorry for all the questions,I am just a bit nervous.I haven't used a system like Marta before. Thanks alot

sgbslo Jul 20th, 2003 11:19 AM

No changes of train would be needed for the trip from the airport to either downtown or midtown.
Downtown Atlanta is pretty dead at night I'd suggest you stay in either midtown or Buckhead.

kapmap Jul 20th, 2003 01:36 PM

For what you doing there is only one north south line -- no changes.

Atlanta is not a normal city -- people do not live downtown and therefore there is no real nightlife there. It would be better to be in Midtown or Buckhead.

You can use MARTA to get around but depending on when you are coming it may be very hot walking. It's not like in NYC or Chicago where the subway covers the entire city and you can get out anywhere and walk a few blocks to where you need to be. It's not a pedestrian friendly city. I would always advise someone to rent a car here.

Dottie Jul 20th, 2003 07:10 PM

Thanks for you responses. I do think I will stay in Buckhead now instead of the Westin downtown. I would like to get your ideas about the following.

I don't what to drive so I am looking at hotels by Marta. What do you think of the Crowne Plaza, Doubletree, and the Swissotel Hotels?They all look very close to Marta and also to "Dante's down the hatch" which I am thinking of eating at.Also does anyone know of "Oh Maria's" a Mexican restaurant also in Buckhead?
Thanks,you all have been very helpful.

Parker Jul 21st, 2003 04:59 AM

The JW Marriott hotel is closer to the Marta station at Lenox Square than the other hotels you named and it is very nice. A smaller Marriott with a walkway to Lenox Mall. Right across the street is Houston's restaurant which always has great food! An Atlanta favorite for everyone. There are also several nice restaurants in Lenox and across the street at Phipps Plaza. Don't know about the Mexican restaurant you mentioned. Went to Dante's again in January for my daughter's birthday. It's very unusual (live crocodile on site) with pretty good food. You'll need a reservation on the weekend. They have a jazz band and if you sit in that area, there's a cover charge. Check out the website www.accessatlanta.com for more information on what's going on while you're in Atlanta and suggestions for restaurants. If you like Indian food, we love Raja in Buckhead on Peachtree Street. Have fun!

sgbslo Jul 21st, 2003 08:04 AM

The hotels you mentioned are close to the Buckhead Marta station while the JW Marriott is closer to the Lenox Marta station.
Oh Maria's is an upscale Mexican restaurant on Peachtree (at Grandview) in Buckhead it's about 3/4 of a mile from the Lenox area.

Litespeed_Chick Jul 21st, 2003 08:39 AM

I have always had good luck at Swisshotel. It's right across the street from Dante's, but I would not eat there...has a serious rep as a tourist place. Brasserie Le Coze in the mall (beleive it or not) is a great French restaurant. Soto, also walking distance is the best sushi I ever had, including Nobu.

Is a rental car out of the question?

GoTravel Jul 21st, 2003 03:20 PM

I would rather have a root canal than drive in Atlanta traffic.

Dottie Jul 21st, 2003 04:00 PM

I don't know about having that root canal, :-D but pretty sure I would be a really bad driver in such a big city . Trust me you don't what me on your roads.We will only be stopping over in Atlanta in between flights;one night at both ends of the trip. So we won't have to much time to see much anyway,not to mention pretty tired.

sqbslo: Thanks for pointing out that these hotels are at differant Marta stops.I would have gotten that mixed up, for sure.

If I take the Marta from the airport will it be a problem with rolling my baggage from the Marta station to any of these hotels? Other then feeling a little silly that is.:">

sgbslo Jul 21st, 2003 05:31 PM

Unless you have tons of luggage you'll be fine. The stations have elevators.
When you decide on your hotel post it on here so someone can tell you which train to take. The north/south line splits and if you're going to the Lenox Station you'd take one line and for the Buckhead Station you'd take another.

Dottie Jul 21st, 2003 05:51 PM

sqbslo:
Thanks so much for the info. I think it will be either the Swissotel or Crowne Plaza. The Crowne is quite a bit cheaper and looks like it would be good enough for me. However the Swissotel looks like it might be a little bit closer to Marta.So that might be the one. Is that the Buckhead station?

sgbslo Jul 21st, 2003 08:53 PM

Yes for either one of those the closest station is the Buckhead Station. Actually the Crown Plaza would be a little closer to the station. It looks like it would be a perfectly fine place to stay.

travel_gal Jul 22nd, 2003 05:35 AM

Soto and Oh Maria have closed. However, Nava, Blue Pointe and Prime are very good and close.