Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   ATA plans major expansion to Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ata-plans-major-expansion-to-hawaii-659802/)

lcuy Nov 20th, 2006 07:55 AM

ATA plans major expansion to Hawaii

ATA just announced it will be dramatically increasing it's service to Oahu, Kauai, Maui and the Big Island

The new flights will be starting this spring and summer and will fly out of several west coast cities and Las Vegas. They fly to Hawaii already, but this will be a big expansion.

Now, this is a budget airlines that codeshares with Southwest, so it won't be for everyone. I'm hoping it will keep some competition pressure on prices though!

Shanghainese Nov 20th, 2006 08:32 AM

We used our SW mileage and took ATA to Oahu a few years ago.

JJ5 Nov 20th, 2006 08:58 AM

ATA had major share of Midway/Chicago and when they left it put many Aviation mechanics and others out in the cold, who I know personally. So I'll be very interested to see what they do. They are noted, IMHO, for huge plans that then get piecemealed or under-developed in reality.

I flew them about 10 times from 1996-2000. They were often late and gave me free flights twice because of cancellations. The service was not as good/reliable as SW, but when/where they went was considerable and often. I miss them tremendously.

wally34949 Nov 20th, 2006 10:10 AM

American Airlines to Hawaii is the pits unless flying First Class. Food for purchase from Dallas to Hawaii. Good for ATA. I hope they kill the competition.

iamq Nov 20th, 2006 10:42 AM

I hope they do some non-stops from SFO/SJC/OAK to Kaua'i and the BI. Prices are way too high for those flights on the carriers that do them (United).

pila

JJ5 Nov 20th, 2006 11:03 AM

They will underprice their flights, they always do- so it will be less than United or American. But don't count on them leaving promptly on time, as they always have issues getting the planes to the right places.

And going across an ocean isn't going to make for improvement with that, IMHO.

Kal Nov 20th, 2006 11:39 AM

\:D/
YEA!!!!
We flew them one year out of SFO to Honolulu. No probs.

Since I'm a "anxious flier" anyway, we got there well before the roosters even knew the sun was up and got front row seats, no first class seating, and had about what seemed to be 10' of leg room.

I hope they'll fly out of SMF!!!

38 mo' days, baby!!!

lcuy Nov 20th, 2006 02:44 PM

This was reported on the news early this am, so I got the 'gist of it', but not all the details.

I'm pretty sure they said they will be having new non-stops to Kauai and Maui and more flights to Honolulu, Kona and Hilo. (I din't know mainland carriers flew direct to Hilo). Some will start late spring, others in the summer.

iamq Nov 21st, 2006 06:18 PM

This just in:

$479 R/T NONSTOP OAK/LIH!

They did not waste any time! Let the wars begin!

-pila

iamq Nov 21st, 2006 06:21 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that those prices are for travel in July/August!

sistahlou Nov 21st, 2006 06:27 PM

Did you just score?!

iamq Nov 21st, 2006 06:42 PM

I'm not sure yet. The schedule is sort of crappy...arrives LIH at 8:25pm and it is a red-eye coming home.

Oakland is not the most convienient airport for us either, BUT I'm hoping that as part of this expansion they will add a nonstop from San Jose which is 20 minutes from home and a breeze to deal with. ATA already flies to the east from SJC.

I'm gonna keep checking and see what happens, but this may be as good as it is gonna get.

-pila