Search

Assistance w/trip itinerary - Moab to Zion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assistance w/trip itinerary - Moab to Zion

Hello Fodorites:

Am planning the following trip but am a little confused about the middle of it and how long we should plan in two particular areas (cap reef/escalante)...any advice is appreciated!

Fly into Grand Junction CO - drive to Moab
Moab - 4 nights
Capitol Reef/stay in Torrey?
Escalante -?
Bryce - 1night
Zion - 2 or 3 nights (have been, and love it there)
Salt Lake City - 1 night (never been and want to check it out)
Fly out of SLC

In Cap Reef/Escalante should we stay in a different location each night to or one central location? How many nights would you advise?

We like to explore and check things out. Are traveling from CT and don't want to feel rushed. We hike too so that is always a consideration with us. When we "pull off" we are the ones who will hike the couple miles out to see the scenic view!

Prob have about 9 nights/10 days total for this trip! Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM

Yes. For Capitol Reef you will need to stay in Torrey unless you just drive through or want to camp. We usually camp but last year it was really cold and wet in late May, so we stayed at the Wonderland Inn in Torrey. It's very nice with a great indoor pool and a good restaurant. It's just a short drive into the Park so you could spend the afternoon and then the next morning seeing Capitol Reef.

After Torrey, you should drive up to Boulder or Escalante. We stayed at the Boulder Mountain Lodge and really liked it. The Hell's Backbone Grill is next door and is very famous but we found it overpriced and not up to servicing the crowds on Memorial Day weekend. In Boulder, there's a couple of interesting drives you can take on back roads and there is the Anasazi State Park that is very interesting. There's also a great hike nearby to Lower Calf Creek Falls.

After that, you can head to Bryce and then Zion. Hwy 12 is fabulous and you should take your time driving it.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Zoom,

When is this trip? With 9 day you won't have more than 1 night at Capitol Reef, Boulder, and Bryce. Nice to finish in SLC or Park City. Park City is only a 30 minute drive to the airport. Depends on what types of things you want to do and see while here.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 04:53 AM

PS - the Boulder Mtn Lodge is a nice place to stay and the only place in Boulder. Escalante is a very small town, but does have more lodging options. It's lower altitude than Boulder so will be hotter if this is a summer trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for this advice. The trip is early September. If either of you were going to stay more than one night in Bryce, Escalante/Boulder or Torrey, which one would it be?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Bryce would probably be your best choice for more than one night. We always spend two nights there but if you are not going to hike below the rim, then one night maybe enough.

We spent two nights in Boulder but we had a 4 wheel drive vehicle to explore the area. If you don't have a high clearance vehicle, there's not much to do there except hike out to Lower Calf Creek Falls and visit the state park.

Likewise, there's not much point in staying in Escalante unless you are going to drive out to some of the interesting spots on the backroads. Other than Hwy 12, most of the roads in this area are dirt.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 02:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
A few things that may not have been mentioned.

About halfway between Moab and Capitol Reef is Goblin Valley State Park. It's definitely worth a few hours (late in the day for a low sun if you can schedule that) of climbing around the rock structures. Brings back the kid in you. A lot of fun.

Lower Calf Creek Falls hike. The hike is somewhat tedious but the prize at the end is nothing short of spectacular.

Just east of the Falls is Devil's Garden Escalente (not to be confused with Devil's Garden in Arches NP). It was also worth a couple of hours and was fun. To me it looked similar to Goblin Valley but a bit grown up.

About 20 miles before Bryce Canyon (going west) is Canonville. Just south of the town (stop at the visitors center for instructions) is a fork in the road.

The left fork goes to Kodachrome Park (not worth the stop) and then Grosvenor Arch (a bumpy dirt road for 10 miles). Since you will have been to Arches, I would not take this route.

However, the right fork goes to Willis Creek. While you get there by driving on a dirt road, the easy hike is thru several real, narrow slot canyons with a creek going thru the middle (be careful in bad weather). There are even a couple of small (small) waterfalls.

You can continue thru as many of the slots are you want and then turn back. Definitely a worthwhile though seldom written about stop for a few hours before continuing to Bryce Canyon.

At Bryce I would visit Bryce Point for a spectacular sunrise and the only other different viewpoint, Natural Bridge.

Unless you have some sort of physical issue, a visit to Bryce Canyon without taking at least an easy hike (Navajo Loop down and either back up or back up thru Queens Garden) down into the Hoodoos is doing yourself a disservice. Doing this will also get you from Sunset Point to Sunrise Point.

Many places are beautiful, Bryce is that and also very different.

You can see photos of both of my Utah trips at:

www.travelwalks.com
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

OK great this was very helpful. Yes to the hikes - no to having an off-road vehicle (will be some sort of rental car) so that kind of helps to narrow things down a bit. I may in the end book us for one night in Torrey and then two nights in Bryce. We would want to hike "below the rim." Will also want to see Goblin Valley and I guess we'll just have to see if time will permit a Lower Calf Creek Falls hike. So much to do....!

But I think we'll want to jump around a bit less than three different lodgings three consecutive nights. Constantly checking in/out can get tedious and time consuming.

This was really helpful for me - thank you!!
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

I have another ? that I haven't seen asked connected to Moab/Zion itineraries.

Based on my route - Moab/Cap Reef/Escalante/Bryce/Zion - are there any long stretches w/out gas stations that we need to be prepared for?

The last southwest trip we did, someone on this board gave us a warning about one stretch and where the last station was - and let's just say thank God they did!! I think is was the south rim of the Grand Canyon to Zion.....
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM

There are definitely gas stations but I don't remember filling up between Moab and Torrey.

Try to fit in Lower Calf Creek Falls. A half day morning stop.

One of the spectacular sights.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM

I would do at least a half day whitewater trip out of Moab. Depending on where you go, some of the trips are fairly mild if you are uncertain about whitewater.

While I will go whitewater rafting any time, you will not find me on any roller coaster. I am generally a big chicken but not when it comes to rafting.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 04:33 PM

I did the trip in the other direction last fall. I spent a full day in Capitol Reef (Hickman Bridge and Grand Wash are two nice hikes). I also drove the Burr Trail which can be done in a low clearance vehicle. I had one night in Torrey but wished I had another around Boulder or Escalante.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 03:32 AM

Just for reference.

I spent 4 nights in Moab. Got there in the evening after stopping in Arches to hike to Delicate Arch on the way from SLC.

Spend 4 days in Moab and included a half day of rafting. It was fun and just a bit bouncy.

Left Moab around 4PM and stopped in Goblin valley on the way to Torrey. Got there after dark.

Spent the next day in Capitol Reef (2 nights) and left after breakfast for Boulder. Stopped at Boulder Mountain Lodge long enough to drop off luggage and continued on to Lower Calf Creek Falls, Part of Burr Trail and Devil's Garden escalante. Made several scenic stops on the highway.

Spent 1 night in Boulder.

The last day drove west from Boulder. Hiked Willis Creek slot canyon and then stopped in Bryce Canyon.

I had been there the year before but my friend hadn't. Having been there before, we were able to see the highlights and hike down Navajo Loop very efficiently.

About 4PM we left Bryce for the 4 hour drive back to SLC and 1 night there.

So, we spent 4, 2, 1 & 1 night. While I normally try to limit the one night stops, this didn't feel like jumping around.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Just so you know, you can make it in a sedan down the Hole in the Rock road to the Devils Garden that Meyer mentions above. This will be a left off Scenic Hwy 12 about ten miles before the town of Escalante. It is a dirt road but a car would have no problem.

Here's a look at the Devil's Garden...as Myer mentions, it is like a grown up Goblins.

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/88444592

I'm not sure you mentioned when you are going but, if it is in August or September, you need to know that this is "monsoon season". Not rainy really but a season that produces amazing thunderstorms (which we love for photography) that create dangerous flash floods. You need to be aware of the weather and stay off the dirt roads and out of the canyons if there are storms upstream of you. Talk to the rangers or locals if you have concerns about trail or road conditions.
Old Mar 14th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Zoom,

Listen to peterboy's advice. Get updated weather reports every morning and watch the sky!

If you must choose (due to time limitations) between Goblin Valley and Calf Creek Falls, I would choose the Falls hike hands down.

Your plan sounds good. Sept is a good time to go. Be prepared for hot weather in Moab and Zion. Have fun!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks so much everyone. Just catching up on all this great information. Little nervous about the "monsoon" season - kind of like how we always seem to be in Savannah during tornadic activity. Yikes. Am okay with the hot weather (hat + lots of water + frequent breaks = healthy & happy!)Thanks for the advice to check the forecasts (will do!) and all the great hikes and sites....