Notices

assateague camping

Jun 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

assateague camping

My girlfriend and I are thinking of visting Assateague in July. Does anyone happen to know if it makes a difference whether we camp at the Assateague State Park or the Assateague Island National Seashore? Is one preferable to the other? Thanks.
Jun 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Many years ago we camped in the national park. Be warned, the camping is very rough, but the mosquitoes were the absolute worst! They swarmed everything- even the car! It was not fun.
Jun 25th, 2008, 06:07 AM

I'll add another long ago camping experience on the beach--very breezy, such that the heat from the fire to cook our steaks was "cooled" by it!! It was still fun, and we continued camping for MANY years. HOwever, NEVER again at the beach (there weren't any showers at that time, don't know about now).
May 26th, 2010, 08:00 AM

The National Seashore campground is primitive--no electric or water hookups for RVs, but great for tents. There are porto-potties and cold showers--good enough to get the grit off. The oceanside sites are great--a hundred yards from the beach. I haven't stayed in the bayside sites, but they're pretty, too. It's my understanding that the mosquitos are much worse bayside. Last year was the first year that the skeeters really got to us on the oceanside, and it was uncommonly damp that year--the ground was sodden, and lots of standing water in puddles for breeding.

The state park is pretty much a parking lot for campers--mostly RVs, crammed together in a symmetrical grid. There are lifeguards on the beach, however, though that beach is much, much more crowded than just 1/2 mile south.

Great kite flying.

Another hint--we don't pack perishables from home. There is a Food Lion and a WalMart just up the road, with plenty of fresh food and ice to keep it cold.

I love Assateague--you get to camp in a quiet outdoor setting, stay walking distance from the beach, which is beautiful and uncrowded. All that, and you're a quick 7 miles from OCMD--lots of restaurants and the distractions that are the freak show of the boardwalk at night. We typically spend the first several days lounging on the beach and eating out of the cooler, then hit OC for pizza and a walk with the crowds on the boardwalk, and have a decadent all you can eat brunch on the way out--after a week of eating cold cereal.

Search this Thread