Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Aspen or Glenwood Springs (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/aspen-or-glenwood-springs-936541/)

beeswing May 25th, 2012 07:36 PM

Aspen or Glenwood Springs

We'll be in Colorado at the end of June. We'll be coming from RMNP, and I want to see Aspen. Here's the question -- having never been to Aspen, what I mainly know is that John Denver lived there (sorry!) and that it's expensive. We'll be staying one night in the area, but in Aspen? Or in Glenwood Springs?

Is there enough to see in Aspen or places to eat, or whatever, that we should maybe stay there -- or might be a better idea to visit Aspen and then move on to stay in Glenwood Springs, which looks to be a lot less pricy?

Any thoughts on pros and cons of the two? Thanks.

PeaceOut May 25th, 2012 09:05 PM

Aspen is ASPEN. No place like it. Stay there.

Gretchen May 26th, 2012 03:02 AM

And another, go to Aspen and have fun. On the way, see Glennwood Springs and paarticularly the cantilevered part of I70 over the river. Be sure to see the exhibit explaining how it was built. It only takes a little stop and walk.

martym May 26th, 2012 05:59 AM

For only one night--pick Aspen. Great restaurants, Maroon Bells, downtown pedestrian mall, Ajax Mountain right there!!!

Are you driving over Independence Pass to get there or coming from Glenwood Springs?

sf7307 May 26th, 2012 07:12 AM

There are more excellent restaurants in Aspen than any other small town I've ever visited!

InSandy May 26th, 2012 07:25 AM

There is nothing else like Aspen. You want to stay there. There is a reason John Denver lived there and not Glenwood Springs :-)

Glenwood Springs is fine as well, lots of fun activities. Do both if you can.

PeaceOut May 26th, 2012 08:24 AM

Hmmm. JoG's link above is to an international dating service, so don't bother to follow it. I hit the triangle.

tekwriter May 26th, 2012 09:57 AM

Take a look at the Aspen Mountain Chalet for very reasonably priced lodging, right in the heart of downtown Aspen. Clean, pool, breakfast included - highly recommended. You do want to be in Aspen for the experience. Glenwood is nice, but more limited in things to see and do.

beeswing May 28th, 2012 06:16 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. Based on it, we've booked a place in Aspen for the night. We went with the Aspen Mountain Chalet. For Aspen, it's not badly priced and looks perfectly good. Thanks for that recommendation!

beeswing May 28th, 2012 06:34 PM

Oh, and as far as Independence Pass -- it was recommpnded to us earlier in the forum that we go to Aspen via the pass and then onto Glenwood Springs. Sounds like a good plan.

tekwriter May 28th, 2012 07:30 PM

Great, glad to hear it... you'll love it! Aspen is wonderful for strolling around, window shopping, people watching... you may even see a celeb if you keep your eyes open! One place you must visit is Maroon Bells, for the picture-postcard view of jagged peaks reflected in a mountain lake. When we were there a few years ago, the wildflowers were insanely beautiful, and there is a easy loop trail to walk and enjoy the views. Ask at the hotel for directions. There is a bus that leaves from Aspen Highlands because the parking is very limited at the site itself. This view is the essence of Colorado, so I hope you don't miss it!

PeaceOut May 28th, 2012 08:41 PM

Aspen Mountain Chalet is a good choice.

beeswing May 30th, 2012 11:35 AM

Thanks, tekwriter. I'm taking notes. :)

BeachGirl247 May 31st, 2012 11:53 AM

Aspen is fabulous. Last year was our first summer visit and it wowed us. Everything tekwriter mentioned and more. So much so we are going back again for the 4th this year, too.

Enjoy!