Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Aspen, CO: Timing of the Maroon Bells (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/aspen-co-timing-of-the-maroon-bells-629052/)

AnnMarie_C Jul 7th, 2006 07:27 AM

Aspen, CO: Timing of the Maroon Bells

Next month I'll be returning to Aspen for a week and want to visit the Maroon Bells but need to know approximately how much time to allow. I'm attending an adult skate camp and hope to find a break somewhere in the week where I can get away. I'll be taking the bus--does anyone know how long this trip takes or have an opinion on how much time I should allow? Also, casual restaurant recs are always welcome. Thank you!

wtm003 Jul 7th, 2006 07:46 AM

AnnMarie, I was in Aspen last weekend. We probably spent about 3 1/2 hours at Maroon Bells. It really depends on what you plan to do. We hiked to Crater Lake which the park service estimates to take about 3 hours. I don't think it took us that long, but this should give you an idea. The hike around Maroon Lake is estimated to be about an hour. It was beautiful, but watch the weather. We got there around 10 a.m. and by the time we left the clouds were coming in. By 2 p.m. it was raining and lightning in Aspen.

After our hike we ate at the Hickory House in Aspen. It was great. We had ribs and big cups of iced tea. It really hit the spot.

AnnMarie_C Jul 7th, 2006 01:03 PM

Thank you, wtm. An hour around the lake sounds goods--coming from Aspen, any idea how long it takes to get to / from the Bells?

Glad you enjoyed a nice trip!

amwosu Jul 7th, 2006 02:11 PM

Have only driven to the Bells and it was years ago so no clue how long. But as far as food girl, I can talk food.

Actually, restaurant-wise in Aspen everything is casual, but some are inexpensive and some are over the top expensive.

Hickory House is known for their ribs but breakfast rocks. I don't really eat bacon but when you're there you just gotta eat the bacon.

Little Annie's is a popular, inexpensive place that's been around a long time. Red and white checked plastic table cloths and food served in plastic baskets type place.

Su Casa is Mexican that's also been around awhile and it hasn't failed us yet.

The Red Onion has been around forever, like the oldest bar in town open since the 1800s silver rush and they serve sliders (think White Castle) which may not be good for lunch if you plan to go back to your camp but maybe for dinner. Kind of one of those sentimental things we always gotta do.

Crepes at the Popcorn Wagon if they're open. They probably have lunch type crepes but all we've ever gotten are banana chocolate covered crepes smothered with whipped cream......

Love Mezzaluna for a tiny bit more upscale but delish at lunch. Love the assortment in the breadbasket and I don't really eat bread either.

Pacifica is another not as inexpensive place probably open only at dinner (if that during the summer) and has a raw bar and a nice fried (geez, I don't usually do fried either, if it weren't for the skiing all day long I'd think Aspen is bad for my health!) rock shrimp and calamari appetizer that is quite big and yummy.

Remember, if you feel the need for a shot of tequila and a juicy steak head to Jimmy's. He is quite the tequila fanatic.

I'm in full on Aspen-envy. Due to the in-laws 50th anniv. at Christmas I have to wait to eat my way thru Aspen until Spring Break!

wtm003 Jul 7th, 2006 03:01 PM

We parked at Aspen Highlands and took the bus. I'm guessing it was 20 minutes to Maroon Bells. If you take the bus from Aspen to Aspen Highlands add another 10 to 15 minutes.

wtm003 Jul 7th, 2006 03:04 PM

Here is the website for bus transportation to Maroon Bells. You can call for exact times, rather than using my guestimates. I tend to lose track of time when I'm looking at scenery.

www.rfta.com/summer/maroon.html

AnnMarie_C Jul 7th, 2006 03:32 PM

You guys are great, thank you! :-)

amwosu, too funny! Thanks for all the recs, I look forward to eating my way through Aspen! :-D

amwosu Jul 7th, 2006 06:43 PM

Hey from Ann Marie W to Ann Marie C- Have a wonderful time!