Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Asking for feedback on Alaska itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/asking-for-feedback-on-alaska-itinerary-406172/)

Smurfy Mar 3rd, 2004 09:10 AM

Asking for feedback on Alaska itinerary

Hi All,

These boards have been amazing in helping us plan our trip to Alaska in June. We've put together what I feel may be a rather aggressive itinerary, and would appreciate your input. Here's what we've come up with:

June 10th - Arrive Anchorage (9:30pm) stay at Marriott (points)
June 11th - Explore Anchorage
June 12th - Up early to drive to Denali. Shuttle bus to Eilson, spend night in Healy (Denali Dome Home)
June 13th - Drive from Healy to Talkeetna, take Denali flight tour, spend night in Talkeetna (Road House)
June 14th - Up early, drive to Seward; we've got all day, stop wherever to explore. Spend night in Seward (recs. on B&Bs?)
June 15th - Major Marine 8 hour Fjords tour, spend night in Seward.
June 16th - Drive from Seward to Anchorage, catch flight to Kodiak Island (looking at Little Eagle B&B)
June 17th - All day on Kodiak Island
June 18th - Afternoon flight back to Anchorage, spend night at Marriott.
June 19th - Hang out in Anchorage, catch 7:30pm flight home.

Any thoughts, ideas, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post!

OaktownTraveler Mar 3rd, 2004 04:41 PM

Smurfy:

Looks doable. I have a concern about your Denali. Looks real tight...

If you want some other ideas you can
take a look at my Alaska Trip Report Part 2. CLick on my name and my post should come up.

Also do a search on Alaska and loads of excellent information will appear.

Your post is not long...keep reading and searching Alaska on these boards.

Happy Planning,
Oaktown Traveler

BudgetQueen Mar 3rd, 2004 11:36 PM

I don't recommend day two, you need to allow 6 hours to get to Denali Park from Anchorage- then an 8 hour bus ride??? I wouldn't consider it. Either add a day or leave the night before- and do your Anchorage touring the day you leave. At the Talkeetna Roadhouse- get an upstairs room, I have low standards and I avoid the ones downstairs. :)

GBelle Mar 4th, 2004 07:38 AM

I don't recall if it's on a Sunday or Saturday (which would be 6/19 for you) but in Anchorage there is a flea market downtown. We found lots of interesting last minute stuff there and it will be a good place to "hang out" before the plane.

Smurfy Mar 5th, 2004 04:07 AM

Thanks so much for the replies. After talking to people who've made this trip and reading these boards, we found the consensus was to either spend 2-3 days in Denali, or skip it. We've dropped the trip to Denali, but kept the flight out of Talkeetna (that appears to be a "must do"). We've taken the extra day that leaves in our schedule to go hiking on the Harding Icefield outside of Seward.

Thanks again for the replies!