Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Ashland to Reno--anyone have ideas for a 3-4 day road trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two sisters and I have a first time trip planned to Ashland in July. We are all into road trips and are looking for a 3-4 day backroads tour for our return portion to Reno. We were born in Portland so we've definitely been there/done that and the Oregon coast isn't what we want to do either.

Does anyone have a good itinerary that includes the covered bridges or other points of interest? None of us has ever been to central Oregon. Is Bend or (just for kicks) the city of Sisters something worth considering? We've all done wine trips but I am not totally ruling out the Willamette Valley, just hoping we can come up with something scenic, fun and adventurous for a car trip.

Thanks all.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:49 AM

Interesting you ask, because we usually follow our stay in Ashland with a trip to Lake Tahoe to stay with my partner's brother and wife.

We generally just do the scenic route in one day, but a couple years ago, they came up and joined us in Ashland then we rode with them in their big RV with an overnight stop near Lassen National Park.

I'd go off I-5 at Shasta. McCloud is kind of fun. And I think Lassen is quite interesting. The route on to Reno through the National forest is really scenic.

I don't have any specific ideas, but there are some pretty B&B's and small inns in some of the towns between along that general route. I'd probably just take the 3 days to drive it and spend nights along the way, taking your time.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM

Have you been to Crater Lake? That would seem a natural from Ashland. Or the redwoods and southern Oregon coast? Throw in a jetboat ride or white-water rafting trip on the Rogue, and it could be a fun trip! Never been, but I believe there's also a place where you can stay in treehouses somewhere in SW Oregon.

Or you could do the white water rafting trip in the Bend area, which also has oodles of other recreational possibilities. Sisters is worth maybe a couple hours, but I wouldn't go out of my way.... The area around it, however, is simply beautiful. Great hiking. And, have you ever try fly-fishing?

I think the route Patrick suggests takes you past Burney Falls State Park, which we stumbled upon on a drive from Portland to Reno several years ago: http://www.burney-falls.com/. Beautiful place. Worth a stop.

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 08:58 AM

OH yes. Burney Falls was a great stop!

And of course I LOVE Crater Lake and also Oregon Caves as well as the Rogue River. All those are good, but I was thinking more of things to do along the way TO Reno.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far. Yes, we've been to Crater Lake, Coos Bay, Klamath, Lassen, Shasta, Redwoods, Humboldt and pretty much all over N. Calif.

Don't care to go fishing but am interested in scenic backroads, good food, historical places of interest, light hiking, local artisans, galleries/boutiques and someplace with a little nightlife to at least have a drink after dinner. I also prefer hotels to B&Bs.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Hmmm. Maybe someone has more ideas, bu the bulk of what you just said doesn't sound like much of anything BETWEEN Ashland and Reno. Sacramento is the only place that fits much of what you say -- except it's kind of pointless to try to do "back roads" between it and the other two ends of the trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

My trip certainly doesn't need to be along the direct route since I have 4 days. That's why I mentioned Bend and Willamette Valley. But since I've not been to either I was thinking there may be an interesting circuitous route that someone else may have taken. I would like to approach Reno from the north on 395 so getting over to 395 from Ashland would constitute my 4 day trip.

I'll look into the scenic byways website for Oregon and do more research on the covered bridges. But thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.