Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ashland, Oregon without a car (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ashland-oregon-without-a-car-667286/)

kajuble Dec 31st, 2006 02:14 PM

Ashland, Oregon without a car

We'll be going to the Oregon Shakespeare festival for the first time this summer; we plan to fly but aren't sure whether we'll need to rent a car or not. Is it possible to get by without one?

NeoPatrick Dec 31st, 2006 02:38 PM

We usually go for four or five nights and have always had a car there -- because we were driving from somewhere, but almost invariably we don't drive the car the entire time we are there.
You can get a taxi (expensive) or a shuttle bus from the airport in Medford to Ashland. Just book a hotel that is close to the festival. Have you done that yet? The earlier the better. Sometimes we've had trouble getting a place booking up to 10 months ahead!

Andrew Dec 31st, 2006 02:39 PM

Best thing to do is first of all, contact a few of the Ashland hotels that are near the tiny downtown and ask them about airport transportation from Medford(?). Then ask them if you can get to the shows without a car easily.

Is there some reason you want to avoid a car? Trying to save money? It's very easy to drive in Oregon.

janisj Dec 31st, 2006 04:05 PM

&quot;<i>ask them if you can get to the shows without a car easily.</i>&quot;?

Ashland is so small any of the downtown hotels are w/i walking distance of the theatres, shops, restaurants, etc. And most of the hotels a mile or two out of the downtown have shuttles to the theatre.

You don't need a car at all if you are just stying for the shows/dining/shopping. But if you want to explore some of the other great areas - the coast, Crater Lake or anywhere - then you will need to drive.

But you are flying into Medford or Portland? Renting a car might be cheaper than taking a shuttle from Medford (not too sure about that).

happytrailstoyou Dec 31st, 2006 05:58 PM

I can't imagine being in Ashland without a car, but I suppose it would be possible. If you stay near the theaters, the distances downtown are definitely walkable.

therenaissanceman Dec 31st, 2006 06:11 PM

Hi Kajuble,
I live in Ashland and therefore can give you some firsthand advice. Shuttles from the Medford Airport to Ashland run $20. A yellow cab cost $25. You can prearrange either to pick you up by calling beforehand. The number for Cascade Shuttle is (541)488-1998. The number for Yellow Cab is (541)482-3065.
You do not need a car in Ashland if you stay in a motel within walking distance of the theaters. There are loads of restaurants as well as motels in this area. This is not a big town, but it has lots of tourist faciilities. Even some of the more distant motels provide shuttles, but that's somewhat inconvenient. I would recommend Ashland Creek Inn for your stay. Other good ones are Plaza Inn, Stratford Inn, or Bards Inn. If you stay at any of these, you will not need a car.
Enjoy!

therenaissanceman Dec 31st, 2006 06:14 PM

I forgot to mention that there are also many bed and breakfasts in the area if you prefer that. I also agree with Neopatrick that you should make your room reservation now! Summers are the busy season here.

LucieV Dec 31st, 2006 08:55 PM

Assuming that you can get transportation from the airport, I wouldn't hesitate to visit Ashland without a car. We go almost every summer for 4 or 5 days. We park our car as soon as we arrive &amp; rarely use it while there. As long as you stay close enough to the theater area, you'll be absolutely fine. In addition to the hotels mentioned by therenaissanceman, the Ashland Springs Hotel, right on Main Street, is lovely. You can walk everywhere, and Lithia Park is right there, too. Ashland is a delight!

kimamom Jan 1st, 2007 06:57 PM

Our favorite places to stay are the Ashalnd Springs Hotel and the Ashland Plaza &amp; Suites. Both of these places are walking distance to theaters, shops and restaurants. Chateaulin is very good, I would recommend it for a meal. There is also the Peerless at the Peerless Hotel that is excellent for dinner. Just going for the plays, restaurants and Lithia Park, you will not need a car at all. Have fun! ***kim*** ((f))

EnricoIV Jan 2nd, 2007 04:07 PM

I have spent many a vacation in Ashland without a car. If your focus is on seeing the plays, you won't have time for much else, anyway. We always saw two plays a day, since that's the way the schedule is set up.

By the way, do try to take the backstage tour. We've done it dozens of times, and always learned something new.