Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Asheville- Wingate or Baymont? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/asheville-wingate-or-baymont-383815/)

kkraczek Dec 21st, 2003 06:04 PM

Asheville- Wingate or Baymont?

Hi, I will be traveling to Asheville with 3 kids in tow- looking for a reasonably priced (no more than 150.00 per night) hotel in the Asheville area. We would like to be conveniently located to active pursuits- they want to see snow! I have looked into the Baymont, Doubletree, and Wingate. Any opinions on these choices, or other hotel suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Litespeed_Chick Dec 22nd, 2003 06:04 AM

I think that Baymont and Doubletree are near the entrance to Biltmore House, Wingate is across from the Blue Ridge mall outside of town.

It depends on what your "active pursuits" are intended to be. If Biltmore house, then the choice is obvious. If You want to be closer to Bent Creek, Pisgah, and the Parkway, Wingate might be a good option, but frankly, I would not want to stay next to the mall. It is usually alot cheaper to stay anywhere but the Biltmore area.

I like Haywood Park hotel because it is right downtown for easy walking to nighttime pursuits. Some floors have weird 80's decor, but big rooms. There is also a Renaissance downtown.

Really, traffic is not bad around Asheville and nothing is too far away. The cheapest lodging is generally found on Tunnel Road (near the other mall). That's the less attractive side of town.

you might look at www. bentcreeknc.com, I have not stayed at the lodge, but I drive past on my way to mountain biking quite often. They are right at the foot of the parkway and they have hiking/biking trails right out their back door. the website has some info on things to do in the area on their "things to do" page. I'm not sure if they are kid friendly, though.

I'm pretty familiar w/ being active around Asheville, so let me know if you have specific questions.

kkraczek Dec 22nd, 2003 06:46 AM

Hi Lifespeed, thanks so much for your help- I checked the website, and they only accept children over 12. It is a beautiful lodge though! As far as active pursuits, my kids are most interested in seeing (and tubing on!) snow. I wanted to pick a central location in N.C. with easy access to snow areas but with other things to do as well. We probably won't go to the Biltmore House with the kids. I am also considering the Maggie valley area. I hope this may help with suggestions as to where we should stay... I am from Florida, and have very little knowledge of the N.C. area. Thanks again for your help!

JoeG Dec 22nd, 2003 08:32 AM

kkraczek,
Keep in mind the The Baymont used to be call "The Budgetel." with the name change and new signage it beacame "The Baymont Inn and Suites." Sounds more upscale doesn't it?

Litespeed_Chick Dec 23rd, 2003 10:13 AM

I just looked at the 10 day forecast, and I dont see any snow coming for Asheville.

If they need to see snow, you might have to go to one of the ski resorts. See http://www.skisugar.com/tubing/, they have some tubing runs according to their website. Also www.skibeech.com.

They "make" snow at these resorts, so there will be some there even if no real snow falls. Sugar mtn and Beech mtn are both near the towns of Banner Elk & Boone...sorry I've never been to either. I beleive they are pretty small towns, so I'm not sure how much else there is to do once your kids are through tubing. I would probably stay in Asheville and drive up to the resorts...should take less than an hour (somebody more familiar help me here!)

This might be your best bet anyway...a sudden snow storm might make driving scary for a Floridian (scary for me too.)

I would avoid Maggie Valley and Cherokee...very tourist-trapp-y.

I drive past Baymont, it looks OK, I think there's a Holiday Inn Express and a Day's Inn in the same place. All look fine. Obviously not the Grove Park, but not scuzzy.

When are you coming? I'll be out of town til next Monday, but I'll report in on the weather if you haven't left by then.

hauntedheadnc Dec 23rd, 2003 10:33 PM

Would you believe I'm finding rates of exactly $150 at the Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa in January? Just randomly I chose January 7 when I was checking prices, and that rate popped up. You might want to look into staying at an Asheville institution!

If not though, I'd go with Baymont. I've stayed there once, actually, and it's well-maintained and pleasant, if unremarkable, and is as nice as any other upper mid-scale place.

ThePhan Dec 24th, 2003 06:28 AM

January must be the value time of year to visit Asheville. I just looked at the Inn on Biltmore Estate's website and got a rate of $139 for January 7, too.

hauntedheadnc Dec 24th, 2003 06:30 PM

The cheapest time to visit Asheville, which can be a pricey destination I admit, is in the winter. Specifically, January, February and March. Heck, it even gets cheaper for those of who live here, when sometimes places like the Grove Park Inn or Biltmore Estate offer half-price deals for people who live nearby!

Sure, you miss some of the natural beauty by coming in the winter, but I think the clearer air and farther views make up for it. And what's better than coming in from the cold to fires roaring in the Grove Park Inn's twin 12-ft fireplaces and a luxurious hotel room?

gbhost Jan 11th, 2004 08:48 PM

This reply is probably a little late, but just in case, I thought I'd chime in that we stayed at the Baymont in August and found it to be an adequate place with tiny rooms, tiny breakfast area, tiny indoor pool and even tiny parking spots. While staying there I checked out the Doubletree across the street and kicked myself a few times for not selecting this somewhat more inviting inn with a larger outdoor pool, and an apparent more luxurious feel to the place. It's also connected to an ice cream parlor and a TGI Fridays restaurant. If a slightly more upscale feel means little to you and the Baymont is cheaper, I'd go with the Baymont, but if I'm ever in the Asheville area again, I'll be staying at the Doubletree.