I am planning a trip to Asheville, North Carolina for a week at the beginning of October. I am from the US originally, but now live in Costa Rica. First timers to North Carolina, my brother will be attending college in Mars Hill and I would like to see him for his fall break.. Asheville is the closest town.
We love outdoorsy activities - rafting, mountain biking, hiking, climbing, visiting waterfalls etc. Any suggestions on tour companies to use would be greatly appreciated! What are the "must-see" things to do and see in Asheville? I read about a natural water slide, is anyone familiar with that? My boyfriend is a rafting guide here in Costa Rica, and so we would like something that has Class IV or V rapids, does that exist here?
Does anyone have recommendations of places to stay, something nice and close to activities, shops, restaurants, etc but not too over the top expensive? We plan on renting a car, does anyone have recommendations of a good company to use? Since we will have a car, are there any places that you recommend going outside of Asheville for a day trip that aren't too far away? Would it be best to fly into Charlotte?
Thank you in advance for all of the help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Family winter holiday
- 2 Our next summer trip
- 3 Need Help Picking a Neighborhood in Boston
- 4 Drive Time from Philadelphia to Gettysburg?
- 5 Not a Typical Trip Report
- 6 Asheville, SC to Knoxville, TN Transportation
- 7 Advice Nashville to Washington D.C please!
- 8 February trip San Fran to Yosemite...
- 9 glacier national park to yellowstone route
- 10 Where to Eat on Kauai?
- 11 Muir Woods - new rules
- 12 Lodging in Yellowstone Park
- 13 Will Travel for Food - A Long Weekend in Philly to try a restaurant
- 14 Padre Islands
- 15 Brooklyn dinner? Bronx Breakfast? And opinions on the zoo?
- 16 safe travel idea within US to travel alone with preteen daughter and Mom
- 17 NASHVILLE
- 18 Nj to Charleston SC during Christmas bestate way
- 19 4 days in San Diego
- 20 Copper - How many open runs usually open in December at Copper Mountain?
- 21 Lodging locations in Miami for an overnight visit
- 22 Restaurants - NYC Financial District
- 23 Hard Rock Stadium - transportation to stadium or parking?
- 24 Galveston
- 25 Where to go in Florida . . . without a car?