Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Asheville NC Relocation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/asheville-nc-relocation-632858/)

beth48 Jul 21st, 2006 03:46 PM

Asheville NC Relocation

We're thinking of moving to Asheville in a few months. Any recommendations on where to live -- looking for a new or newer built home in a nice neighborhood -- but not a large development. Not sure what area but in the suburbs somewhere. Also, what's the weather like in the winter? We'd like a somewhat milder climate than the northeast. Any advise will be appreciated.

z Jul 22nd, 2006 03:36 AM

From what I observed and read you need lots of money to buy a new or almost new house in a small development and nice area. You are thinking about moving there and you have no idea what's the weather like? My advice? Do your research, go visit that area many times, then rent a house, condo or apartment for at least a year. Finally decide if you still want to move where southern baptists and conservative republicans are majority. Check websites for two developments with available lots to build or houses already built, Cliffs and Mills River Homestead. Just from reading posts here seems a whole northeast is moving to Asheville.

z Jul 22nd, 2006 04:15 AM

http://www.cliffscommunities.com

http://www.homesteadatmillsriver.com/

brandie346 Jul 22nd, 2006 06:43 AM

Asheville is in the mountains, so it can get quite cold in the winter (well, cold for this Floridian). Easily single-digit temps, and although there wasn't a lot of snow, there was some.

And I'm not so sure about the conservative nature of the town, given it's large gay and artist communities. I thought it was rather progressive, and never felt uncomfortable when I lived there. Of course, I can't speak for the outlying areas, and Z is indeed corrct that the south in general can be pretty conservative. After all Jesse Helms was a former 5-term US senator from NC...

Can't help you with housing, sorry.

beth48 Jul 22nd, 2006 10:48 AM

z, I have been doing research on the web - just thought I'd ask the question to those who live there now.
My husband may make a career move so it's not definite at this point -- and we do plan to visit in August. Do wish there were more democrats in the south : ) Where can we find a more liberal southern city? Thanks for your help.

xrae Jul 22nd, 2006 11:04 AM

I don't think you'll find many more progressive/liberal small ciites in the south than Asheville, unless you look at someplace like Chapel Hill.

Winter weather isn't terrible. The higher in the mountains you go, the more chance of snow or ice of course. The city doesn't stay blanketed in white from November until April.

xrae Jul 22nd, 2006 11:06 AM

PS -- there are a lot of Democrats in the South, if you know where to look.

GoTravel Jul 22nd, 2006 11:23 AM

My inlaws, lifelong democrats, have lived in Asheville proper their entire lives (except for college for both and military for my father in law) and can trace their roots back 5+ generations.

Asheville is colder than the rest of the south in winter because of its elevation but winter comes later and spring comes earlier than it does in the northeast.

Is it a liberal town? Yes.

It is also a thriving artist escape, has excellent hospitals (Mission is one of the top 100 in the country) and infrastructure.

However, you will pay dearly for a high quality of living.

Just a warning, when a real estate listing reads it is only 5 miles from somewhere (downtown, point of interest, etc) those five miles can easily take 45 minutes to drive because of the mountainous terrain.

leahinsc Jul 23rd, 2006 10:11 AM

There are lots of "new or newer built" developments in the Asheville area - unfortunately. While the majority of those are in the South Asheville Area - Biltmore Park, Mills River, Fletcher area; areas to the north of Asheville - Weaverville, and east of Asheville - Fairview, Swannanoa - are also experiencing a lot of growth. Winters have been pretty mild the past 5years I've lived here. There have only been 2 or 3 days I couldn't drive the 20 miles to work. Higher elevations (above Asheville) = more snow and worse road conditions. Besides Atlanta; I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more liberal/democratic city in the South than Asheville.
I would 2nd the recommendation that you consider visiting and perhaps renting for 3-6 months before buying so you have a better feel for what areas of town you might like. If schools are a concern you want to do your research on that as well.

nytraveler Jul 23rd, 2006 10:24 AM

Liberal and conservative, democrat and republican are all relative - and you don't say where you're from. Most Republicans in NYC would be considered democrats/liberals in other places. And many "liberals" in much of the country would be conservatives or at best moderates in NYC.

So - it depends on which issues matter to you - if you have children - if you would be satisfied with the education they would receive in local schools - or would have to do private schooling.

I agree that you need to do several visits, but do investigate as much as posible before you go - including state and local politics if many of these issues matter to you.

nkd Jul 23rd, 2006 11:27 AM

Read your own answers
Author: beth48
Date: 06/05/2006, 02:13 pm
Middle Georgia is lovely, but can be HOT in the summer. That said, the winters are fantastic -- must better than Ohio. Every once in a while you get a dusting of snow, unless you're in the mountains of GA. Try Perry GA for a lovely, small town. You'd be about 30-45 minutes from Macon.

Date: 03/08/2005, 03:26 pm
Harrisburg is a great city. Since I live in a town 30 miles away, I can't give you advice on rental homes. I'm sure you can research that on the web, or ask advice from your new employer. I know the Harrisburg East Mall is close by. Public transportation is readily available so that shouldn't be a problem. I hope you can rent a place with views of the Susquehanna River.

Date: 03/01/2006, 02:26 pm
We loved the quaint town of Franklin near Nashville. If I were to move to TN, I'd move there! Had a wonderful breakfast of homemade biscuits, etc. at a bakery in town - sorry, I don't remember the name.

and <i>Livng in the South

</i>

starrsville Jul 23rd, 2006 12:48 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt; Liberal and conservative, democrat and republican are all relative - and you don't say where you're from. Most Republicans in NYC would be considered democrats/liberals in other places. And many &quot;liberals&quot; in much of the country would be conservatives or at best moderates in NYC. &lt;&lt;&lt;

Say what!?!?!?!

Beth = Asheville.
Asheville is far more milder in winter than the NE. It is just absolutely beautiful all seasons of the year.

For Democrats in predominantly Republican areas, take a look (and order a bumper sticker) at the britebluedot website.

starrsville Jul 23rd, 2006 01:14 PM

For those who haven't read &quot;Thinkers Anonymous&quot;, it's good for a chuckle or two. You can find it several places on the web, but here's one link -
http://tinyurl.com/56lax