Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Asheville NC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/asheville-nc-697998/)

don512 Apr 18th, 2007 08:53 AM

Asheville NC

Planning a fall trip down the Blueridge Parkway with a stop in Ashville. We would like to see the Biltmore House. We have found a Holiday Inn (on Tunnel Road) that rates pretty well that is not far from the Parkway, but doesn't seem in an area with a lot else. Would we be better off staying closer to the Biltmore house, maybe Baymont or the Doubletree? Other suggestions?

cmcfong Apr 18th, 2007 09:32 AM

Either downtown or closer to the Biltmore will put you nearer shops, restaurants and activities. There are many posts on this forum about this most wonderful town. Have a great visit.

alise007 Apr 18th, 2007 09:37 AM

we got married at the Biltmore Estate several years ago. We blocked rooms at the Baymont and DblTree for our guests and we stayed at the Doubletree.

The location is great and for the $ the Baymont was a good deal. We used our Hilton points and needed a suite which dictated where we stayed. Really depends on your budget. There are a few places downtown as well. I would try to either stay near Biltmore or Downtown so you can be closer/walk around. The Village is next to the Estate with nice shopping/dining.

Do some searches--you will find a TON of resources for Asheville on this site.

don512 Apr 18th, 2007 06:48 PM

I have found simular prices for the Holiday Inn-Biltmore East and the Doubletree. Any opinions or preferance between these two hotels?

elsiemoo Apr 18th, 2007 07:26 PM

The Residence Inn very near Biltmore House (maybe 1/2 mile to entrance) is very nice, and has an indoor pool. Have a great visit to this charming, charming place!

Hofstra Apr 18th, 2007 09:40 PM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn-Biltmore East two weeks ago. It's only 5 minutes from the Biltmore Estates and the room price was the most reasonable in the area. However, there is no continental breakfast included in the rate. I would request a room facing the rear of the motel to eliminate highway noise that is noticeable with front rooms.

Brian_in_Charlotte Apr 19th, 2007 05:52 AM

You don't want to stay all the way out at the misleadingly named HI-Biltmore East. Though it does provide some proximity to the neat little town of Black Mountain. Seems a few Asheville hotels use the Biltmore name in them when they're really nowhere near the Biltmore.

As mentioned above, either stay downtown (my preference) or down close to the Biltmore Village (just north of I-40 and Hendersonville Rd (NC-25)). Just be sure to look at where the hotel is on a map.

Brian_in_Charlotte Apr 19th, 2007 05:53 AM

Said more simply: Choose the Doubletree over the HI Biltmore East.

alise007 Apr 22nd, 2007 10:33 PM

I would have to say ditto on the Doubletree! It is a very convenient location and a straight shot to downtown, Village and Estate. The Renaissance is nice as well...stayed there a few years back. But I am partial to Hilton properties and those darn DblTree cookies have my #.