Asheville Fall Trip Itinerary---Help!

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Asheville Fall Trip Itinerary---Help!

Hi all,
I would be very grateful to have some responses to our proposed Asheville trip (if I can get any reservations this last minute)!
Here goes: Leave Florida morning of 10/19 stop for 2 or 3 hours in Savannah, Ga to do a brief foot tour of the historic section and catch a bite to eat. Next continue onto Asheville. That will leave us all day Saturday 10/20, Sunday 10/21 and Monday 10/22 to hike, drive and explore the city of Asheville before heading home on Tuesday. Does this sound reasonable considering that we hope to see lots of fall foliage and mountain views, Smokey Mountains, Pisgah and other hiking areas, as well as get a taste for the architecture and artsy spirit of Asheville.
My main questions are: Do the dates seem good for foliage in those areas? Or, is it too early? Are theses places relatively near each other? Is parking an issue at accomodations and or in town because we will have our car with us, of course. Sorry for so many questions but we haven't been there before and since it's such a long trip, we really want to squeeze the most out of it. Thanks very much.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM

ttt
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Your itinerary sounds fine. You can save yourself a lot of walking and have a more interesting tour of Savannah by taking one of the trolley tours. Most have on and off priveleges and it's an extremely interesting way to see the city. These trolleys are located next to the visitors center.
Are you planning to go to the Biltmore House? I would highly recommend it.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM

I don't know where in Florida you are starting from but that will be a LOONNGG day.
As for the foliage, it may just be brown this year anyway. You certainly won't be too early.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I am becomming very indecisive about the foliage. I keep getting mixed "forecasts". Anymore input to help clarify? Also, does anyone have any insight on the parking in town and at accomodations? Does Hot Springs as a home base (because they actually have availability the dates we want) seem close enough to the parks and forests i mentioned? Thanks again.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 08:14 PM

I might run over to Asheville on Monday. If I do, I'll give you a report. It's been terribly dry on this side of the mountains (I'm an hour north of AVL) and it's just brown brown brown here.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Xrae. That would be great. I don't know if I am already too late, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Did you see my post about hiking trips around Asheville? I think you can click on my name to bring it up. Nice hikes.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I didn't get to Asheville today. But here the leaves are various shades of brown. Not much vibrant color in East Tenn., I'm afraid.

Any Asheville reports from anyone else?
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM

Just returned last night from a long weekend to Asheville. A few trees have just started to turn there. You haven't missed anything and you may actually be too early. It's anyone's guess as to what this year's foliage will be like given the drought conditions in so many places, but historically, peak foliage in the immediate Asheville area is late October. If you drive the Blue Ridge Parkway away from Asheville you will likely have better viewing conditions.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, MileKing, Gretchen and Xrae for your help. If I ever get there I'll post a trip report. In the meantime, I welcome all foliage and lodging input!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM

Yeah, we just spent the 8-14 in Asheville and surrounding areas. There wasn't much color at all. The weather has been so funky--but it should be cooler than FL so that will be a nice change for you.

I think you are going to have a really, really hard time finding weekend reservations. You may do better to find a room outside of Asheville and day trip in instead of the other way around. There may be more hotel options that way.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM

With the drought in NC there will be little Fall color this year. I have two recommendations for my favorite US town. Eat lunch at The Tupelo Honey Cafe (don't miss the flash fried greens), and dinner at The Left Bank, and if you want a supreme treat have dinner at Gabrielle's at Richmond Hill Inn. Asheville has more great restaurants per capita than any city in the country, so it's hard to go wrong. The sidewalk cafes on Pack Square are quite nice as well. You are in luck that you have chosen the weekend of the Southern Highlands Craft Guild Fair at the Civic Center. Do not miss this.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:35 AM

in response to mindforms...we are starting to see some color at these lower elevations(Asheville) but you should see plenty at the other spots you mentioned. It is not all brown! Left Bank closed over 6 months ago and has been replaced by Sugo, an Italian restaurant.
Parking is not a problem most days in Asheville, there are several garages as well as metered parking.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks leahinsc, mindforms and marci_77. We have decided to change our plans to, hopefully, the following weekend, so unfortunately, we'll miss that craft fair,but at least by then there may be some more color. leahinsc, I am so glad to hear it's not all brown! And yes, we will probably have to split our time between lodging in asheville and somewhere closer to Smokey Mountains National Park. All suggestions welcome! Thanks again for taking your time to help us with our planning.