Notices

Asheville/Biltmore Estate Christmas

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asheville/Biltmore Estate Christmas

Hello:

We are considering a last minute, quick trip to Asheville this weekend. We wondered if anyone has visited the Biltmore estate at this time of year? This will be our second trip to Asheville and Biltmore-we visited this spring. Is the estate crowded this early into the Christmas season. I looked at the website and it looks like you need to arrange your house tour for a set time. Anything else special going on in Asheville that we shouldn't miss? Looks like the weather will be great.

Thanks, Katie
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:24 AM

We did the Biltmore at Christmas several years ago. It was wonderful. However, it was VERY crowded. That's why you have specific times to tour the house. The house is beautiful decorated for the holidays. Because of the crowds we were "shuffled" through. We also had dinner at the Stable Restaurant which was very nice. This particular night (in November) it snowed, so the drive up to the house was beautiful. We saw deer on the side of the road. While at dinner, the power went out. We truly had a candle light dinner that night. Unfortunately it was also cold!

My advice is if you don't mind crowds you will enjoy it.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:37 AM

We went the week after Christmas several years ago. We stayed at a motel right near the entrance to the estate. We arrived very early the next morning for the tour and we were in line before the gates open. As a result it was not too crowded. We enjoyed the tour and we had lunch at the hunting lodge and the food was good. I might add that our visit was during the week and not on a weekend. At that time, I do not think they were arranging tours for a set time.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! We are planning to visit the Estate as soon as it opens.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 08:24 AM

You might also enjoy seeing "The Grove Park Inn" in Ashville. We stayed there many years ago. It is a great place for dinner also. I believe they have a web site.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Sabrina:

We do plan on visiting the Grove Park-we missed it the last time. I also want to see the Gingerbread display they have every year.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Katie - they say the gingerbread house is awesome. I know you will have a great time. We always laugh about that trip because of the power going out and having to eat in the dark. Not to mention it was freezing!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:34 AM

I spent Thanksgiving week there last year. We came back through Dillard Georgia and had actual Thanksgiving dinner there at the Dillard House. It is beautiful at the estate ! The Christmas decorations are marvelous. It was cold and windy but my mom and I rented a cabin nearby and enjoyed it very much. The dining room which is myfavorite has the tallest tree in it, you will be in awe. We ate lunch in the stable restaurant which is wonderful and tried their house wines. I was hooked on the American Reisling. I bought many neat Christams gifts including wine and food items in their gift shop.
I hope you go and have a great time !!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:31 PM
LN

We arrived at the Biltmore right after the Christmas decorations had been completed and it was superb! There were so many trees decorated throughout the house (I believe there was at least one per room) and the great room had a few more.

We had reservations and everything went well and I can't say that I felt crowded (but then I'm used to the tourists in DC) but we enjoyed our stay as well as our dinner. I was also surprised at how tasty dinner was.

I'm certain that i'm no wine expert but I do know that I also like their wines quite a bit, especially the Cardinal Crest and Riesling. Talking about it makes me want to go back!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:39 PM

This is slightly off-topic, but the summer concert series Biltmore has every summer is worth coming to also. We have been to one each summer for the past two years and had a wonderful time! Picnic on the lawn in front of the house. A bottle of wine, beautiful sunset and great music!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info!