Arthur Ave Food Walking "Tour" ??s - NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am thinking of going up to Arthur Ave in the Bronx on Monday to check out the Italian food shops and figured this was as good of place as any to ask for reccommendations. Anyone have any favorite food stops or am I wasting my time? Also I'm thinking things will be open but it is labor day.

Just looking for something different to do while my parents are in town and despite my brother in law living in the Bronx, I never go up there. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 06:13 AM

There's lots of Arthur ave. info on chowhound like this http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/648726 I don't think you're wasting your time if you actually want to buy some Italian food. Have no idea whether they'll be open though. I assume you've thought about the NY Botanic Gardens and the zoo? It's unfortunate the Cloisters is closed tomorrow.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 07:33 AM

I would call a shop or two and find out if they're open. They are closed on Sundays and it's not worth a trip without the stores. I always stop at Teitel Bros (I know it's not an Italian name, but the shop sure is). They have great prices for olive oil (I think a liter of organic was under $10) and the best prices for Rao's sauce (the 32 oz size). A great bread bakery is Madonia Bros (great crusty breads, olive bread to die for, and those fantastic sesame seed cookies (well baked the way I love them)). I buy meat in Biancardi's - also great prices; it's interesting just to see the tray of little veal heads in the back (that could keep you off meat forever!). 187th St (perpendicular to AA) has loads of shops as well. Imported, interesting-shaped pastas can be found. Terranova on 187th has classic round breads that sliced and toasted are excellent for bruschetta.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM

btw - if you go, you'll be WAY north of Rivington - I'm proud of you!!!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Good idea to call. I had our car dropped off for the big trek. Thanks for the suggestions. I do want to pick up some foodstuffs
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:24 PM

This past August we visited Arthur Avenue at noon on a weekday, and not much was happening. Some of the popular restaurants we read about were empty. Apparently the action starts later.

We noticed various food shops, but we weren't there to shop for groceries.

After lunch in an Italian deli, we went to the nearby New York Botanic Gardens, which was a good experience. If you go, take the tram ride--it's a big place. Don't miss the Conservatory.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 04:49 AM

There is a long and detailed thread on this forum about food shopping on Arthur Avenue, which is the main reason to visit the area. Absolutely worth it! Much better tog o during the week when stores and restaurants are not packed. Be sure to visit Borgatti for THE best fresh pasta in the NYC area:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...hur-avenue.cfm