Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Arrive JFK 5PM. Would you chance getting to an 8PM theater performance 1 block from your hotel?

Search

Arrive JFK 5PM. Would you chance getting to an 8PM theater performance 1 block from your hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to utilize all evenings for theater. We will have carryon only and plan on a taxi to our hotel. A bite to eat on the run is fine with us. By the way our flight is nonstop so if the plane leaves on time, there will be no connection problems.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Dan

I would never chance it. You will lost your theatre tix if you're running really late, traffic on the expressway, etc.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:11 PM

It's quite risky. Assume you will have no time for dinner.

Factors to help decide if the risk is worth it -

What day of the week and what date is it (always more traffic on Fridays and hoidays)

Where are you coming from/what is th on-time performance for your flight (fyi - for instance, flights from Chicago seem to always be late)

Assuming your flight lands on time, there are no delays on the runway and you're sitting in the middle of the plane - you may get to a cab as early as 5:30 or so. So you may get to your hotel as early as 6:30. Which means you may get to your room by 6:45. Or all of the above may take much longer.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Dan

sorry for the typo. Damn, I hate when I do that... you will LOSE your theatre tix!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM

I always feel like I'm the voice of doom when I answer these types of questions, but...

Here are the things that could easily make you miss your show

1) weather. too cold (icy) snowy or even too rainy or windy. on either end of your flight. Or even somewhere else.

I was once going from NYC to Florida, and my flight was significantly delayed because the weather was bad in Cincinnatti! Seems the plane from NY, though nonstop to Florida, still had to get to NY from Cincinatti.

2)Mechanical delays/problems. Again--your plane or the one/ones ahead of you in line for takeoff.

3) Taxi to your hotel. Could get one immediately, could have to wait half an hour or more for one. Both have happened to me.

4) Traffic. 'nuff said.

Why not buy advanced tickets for the shows you really want, and IF you get to the hotel on time, you'd still have time to go to the TKTS booth (half price tickets) right before the show? Or, If you sign up (free) on theatermania or playbill.com, you can get discount offers/vouchers that you can usally use by taking it to the box office as late as half an hour before the show?
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. Yes, my alternative plan was to be a quick trip to TKTS but that would be a show not on our "we must see" list. Maybe this would be a good night to take in the holiday festivities in the area (tree, window displays, etc.). BTW, it's a Monday, December 13th and the flight has a good on time performance. Again, thanks. I will not book anything for that evening. Who knows? An unplanned evening may be the best one of the week!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 03:40 PM

Ok, I'll be the optimist!! I say go for it! Hire a car to be waiting for you at the airport, call the hotel and alert them to the situation. Can you be dressed so that if there is no time to change you can leave your bags with the front desk and just go?

Then have a late dinner after the show! that is my favorite

My husband and I once made it to our 8pm dinner reservations in Boston after arriving at the airport at 6pm, getting stuck in marathon traffic and then telling the cab driver from the hotel the wrong address! Boy was that martini a welcome site!

I say be adventurous and go for it!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

I just checked the flight to see if the on time performance had changed only to note that the flight time has changed. We now arrive at 4:25PM. I'm guessing that might change the dynamics of things.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:04 PM

I'll be an optomist too. I think you'll make it. Rather than chancing the taxi line (you never know how long it will be), make a reservation with a car service. I highly recommend Allstate (I've recently switched to this company and I've found it is one of the better ones). Their phone number is 212-333-3333. Cost from JFK to Manhattan is $57, plus tip. (It's only slightly more than a taxi, which is a flat fee of $45, but the extra few bucks is worth the certainty of not waiting in line).
Since you're not checking luggage, you should have no problem being in the car by 5, and even with traffic, should be at your hotel by 6:30. Gives you time for a quick bite and then the theatre.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Would you consider the subway into town from JFK? I always take it....street traffic is no problem; there is a new system (short train) to get to the subway (the A train, I think) and away you go....takes about an hour.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Theaters are dark on Mondays.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Huh, Mollie? Where are you talking about. There are a number of shows playing on Monday nights.

I say go for it. I think we've done even closer calls. And by all means plan to eat after the theatre, the most civilized time to do so anyway.
You're now talking over 3 and a half hours.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Yes, there are several performances on that Monday.

almesq...thanks for the car service info. I don't mind spending the extra money for convenience.

BUT...amie..I have NO problem taking public transportation. It's my understanding that the A Train will get me to the Port Authority or Grand Central but I'd have to pick up a taxi from there. Correct?

So, with the extra cushion of time, looks like I'll make theater plans.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 03:41 AM

What you can't plan for is the unforeseen problem. The air issues are what they are, wheather, mechanical, etc. I'm sure you've factored those in.

Getting from JFK to Times Square, might not seem all that far as it's about 16 miles. However, as anyone who has been stuck in the "a truck overturned on the LIE", "a truck went illegally onto the Belt Parkway and it's backed up for 10 miles", "the President (or President elect) is in town", "the terrorism alert has been upgraded" etc, etc can you that 16 miles in NYC might as well be 160 on those really bad days - and there are plenty of those.

What's working in your favor is that it's a Monday. If it were a Friday, during the holiday season I'd say it might be a tight as the end of week traffic is generally a little worse.

Bottom line, you have a reasonably decent chance of landing at JFK and getting to Times Squares in no later than 2 hours, more than enough time to get checked in and grab a quick bite. But, if you hit town on one of the above mentioned really bad days, then who knows if 2 hours is close to correct.

If you're ok with running the risk of eating the cost of the ticket, then you probably will make it, no problem. If you're concerned about the risk of wasting the money, then think about a show that has a reasonably decent chance of still having tickets available that night. I believe there are websites which will give you info on whihc shows have the highest % of their house filled.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:58 AM
GoTravel

I would not take a car service from the airport because of time constraints.

Whenever I use a car service, they want me to call when I land by the time they arrive, I could have already been in the cab and on my way.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:07 AM
jasper

sounds like a tight schedule. try carrying on your bags if you can. that will save alot of time. that is also rush hour...ideally it takes me 45 minutes from midtown to lga/jfk. good luck! and definately have a car service booked. it'll be worth it.

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:39 AM

I wouldn't chance it myself, but if you do decide to, I agree with GoTravel that a cab would be your best bet for ground transportation. It can be so difficult to find your hired car in the confusion outside of JFK, when you could just hop in a cab immediately upon arrival and be on your way into the city.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Keep in mind that NY will be packed that week. Height of the season. Get your tickets well in advance.