Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Army-Navy game in Phily. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/army-navy-game-in-phily-375721/)

doc_ Nov 12th, 2003 03:38 AM

Army-Navy game in Phily.

I'm going to see Navy beat the heck out of Army next month. What is the proximity of Lincoln Financial to the airport and downtown? Is there an area or hotel that would be convenient to all three?

BEAT ARMY!

Budman Nov 12th, 2003 06:25 AM

doc, the airport is not very convenient to the downtown area, but it is convenient to the new stadium. Not sure where the Lincoln Financial is located, but if it is downtown, the airport is not close.

We booked suites at the Airport Sheraton a couple of months ago for the game, as the stadium is just over the bridge from the airport. If you haven't booked your room by now, it will probably cost you a pretty penny. Good luck.

GO NAVY -- BEAT ARMY!! ((b))

Budman Nov 12th, 2003 06:30 AM

Oops, I just realized Lincoln Financial is the new stadium. Duh!!

After the game, we're going to have some of the sober wives drive us to/from the downtown area. Looking at Finnegan's Wake or some other Irish Pub. ((b))

doc_ Nov 12th, 2003 10:27 AM

Thanks,Budman...We will most likely stay around airport. There will be no wives so a fleabag motel will do. I'll check out finnegans pub as well and enjoy a few guinness.

PaulRabe Nov 12th, 2003 12:16 PM

The only reasons to drive a car to the game instead of riding public transport is because you want to --

1) spend more money to get there.
2) take more time to get to the game.
3) maximize your aggravation trying to find a parking area.
4) walk a greater distance from your car to the stadium.

The Broad Street subway line cost $2.60 round trip, goes right to the stadium area (Pattison exit), and takes MUCH less time. If you're staying in center city (we don't call it "downtown"), you won't even need a car for anything. Just take the R1 line from the airport to center city, then the Broad Street line south to Pattison.

Parking and traffic are insane in Philly. Save the time, money, and aggravation and just ride the subway.

FainaAgain Nov 12th, 2003 12:17 PM

Ha ha, only yesterday I saw something on TV, maybe a sign on a WWII memorial, it says: Navy guys never die, they just go to hell and regroup.

navislonga Nov 12th, 2003 02:56 PM

I agree with one of previous posts. Stay anywhere you like downtown and take the subway to the stadium. The Doubletree, Ritz Carlton, and Park Hyatt are all about a block from one of the Broad Street entrances to the Subway. Enjoy

bluestructure Nov 12th, 2003 04:56 PM

Stay in Center City (downtown) and take public transportation! GO NAVY!!! BEAT ARMY!!! Has Army even won a game this year??? 8-o

Budman Nov 12th, 2003 06:35 PM

PaulRabe, you forgot #5) Tailgate before and after the game.

Gosh, I would hate to drag all that food and coolers on the subway. ((b))

Guarto Nov 12th, 2003 08:39 PM

doc_,

I also would suggest staying in Center City. The R1 train from the airport to Suburban or Market East Station takes about 20 minutes and is $5.50 each way. The airport is about 8 miles south of Center City. There is really nothing to see or do by the airport, so you would have to go into Center City anyways. The Broad Street Line Subway is the best option to the stadium. Just buy tokens at any subway station from the machines ($1.30 each). Take the Broad Street line southbound to the end of the line (Pattison Avenue).

BTilke Nov 12th, 2003 11:39 PM

Budman, you should have attended some of the old Mummers' Parades, before they were sanitized and Disneyfied beyond recognition. People brought entire bars with them on the subway...not to mention their own chairs, tables, and dozens of blankets (frigid conditions were the norm).

Budman Nov 13th, 2003 01:54 AM

BTilke, now that sounds like fun, but what are we going to do with all this "stuff" when we are inside the stadium watching the game? ((b))

Shouldn't be much traffic 3 hours prior to the game. Eight of us with 2 cars -- Will probably park at the Phila Navy Yard. It's a 2-beer walk to the stadium from there and easy access from there back to the airport. ((b))

Budman Dec 4th, 2003 05:16 PM

doc_ - did you find a place? I may be able to help you out -- let me know. ((b))

doc_ Dec 11th, 2003 07:02 AM

Budman,

Sorry I never got back to you. We ended up staying at a Studioplus near the airport. Everything worked out well but we had to drive back to Boston because of the storm. Were you at the game? It was very cold but a great time,and the tailgating before was a blast.

Budman Dec 11th, 2003 11:40 AM

Doc,

I had a couple of extra rooms that were already paid for on hotwire because 2 couples backed out of going because of the weather (they were Army fans). Wanted to see if you were interested. The place was fully booked so it was easy to get somebody to buy them.

Because of the weather, the wives didn't want to go shopping or go to the game because it was so cold, so we ended up pub crawling in downtown & watching the game from there.

Great game -- I was a little worried that Army kept it close the first half.

This was the first year that they had the game at 4:00 for as long as I can remember. The only thing I can think of was because of the West Coast.

Sorry to hear about your travels, but at least you made it down for the game. Next year!! ((b))

doc_ Dec 11th, 2003 11:57 AM

Budman

Thanks anyway! I hope your Guinness was as good as mine after the one-sided victory. This may be added to my annual trips. Maybe see you there next year.