Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   armpit of each state? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/armpit-of-each-state-354188/)

coolhand Sep 2nd, 2003 05:46 AM

armpit of each state?

Perhaps this subject has been dissected on here already, but I'm curious. . .as I was travelling along, the thought popped into my head, what would people claim as their state's "armpit city"? Of course there are some with a national reputation (Gary, IN; East St. Louis, IL; Newark) but I would enjoy hearing what other ones should be avoided. My nomination for the state of Minnesota:
Austin. Home of Hormel (producers of Spam). Rough town, dirty, out in the middle of nowhere you want to be.

mm Sep 2nd, 2003 06:47 AM

Armpit for New Hampshire:

State House, Concord, NH.

John Sep 2nd, 2003 07:43 AM

Montana has none!!!

HarryR Sep 2nd, 2003 07:44 AM

Tour Guide - Couldn't agree more. The positive would be much more helpful to others wishing to visit our states. For such a small state, CT offers great seaside vistas as well as country inns in our Northeast corner.

swalter518 Sep 2nd, 2003 07:50 AM

Lighten up people! It's always good to know where to avoid! Too much seriousness on a Tuesday that feels like a monday. By the way coolhand, you're right on with both Gary and ESL.

ARKANSASNURSE Sep 2nd, 2003 09:32 AM

John...you must not have been to Hardin, definitely a pit. As for Arkansas..........too many to mention.

Loki Sep 2nd, 2003 10:33 AM

CT - Bridgeport

John Sep 2nd, 2003 10:39 AM

ARKANSASNURSE
Have been to both Hardin and Browning. Both are mainly Native American towns and though not garden spots I wouldn"t insult the people who live there.

jor Sep 2nd, 2003 10:47 AM

Austin MN is a rough town??? You must be from Disney Land.

zootsi Sep 2nd, 2003 11:10 AM

MM - Concord NH? Surely you jest!

Austin Sep 2nd, 2003 12:23 PM

Growing up in NY State, we used to say that Troy was the armpit of the state.

texsholdm Sep 2nd, 2003 12:32 PM

Fresno ca.

SteveJudd Sep 2nd, 2003 12:38 PM

Maryland- 1. Most of Baltimore, especially the west side. 2. Cambridge on the eastern shore, site of the first race riot of the sixties. 3. Much of Prince George's County, especially inside the Beltway. 4. Cumberland in the west, economically depressed for decades. 5. Langley Park, part of the Third World.

LN Sep 2nd, 2003 12:45 PM

Yes Steve, I believe you've hit the nail on the head for Maryland.

I was a bit surprised at Cambridge but then I realized you're probably right there too.

And then, as the other poster said "Think of all the great places in Maryland."

Deep Creek Lake; all our beaches; lots of great little towns like St Michaels, Oxford, Crisfield, Chestertown, Annapolis (of course).

SteveJudd Sep 2nd, 2003 01:02 PM

Let me add in the positive regarding Maryland- Tilghman Island, swamp country south of Cambridge (Blackwater Reserve), almost anywhere near the Bay, bass fishing on the upper Potomac River (especially near places like Point-of-Rocks, White's Ferry and Brunswick) and the Antietam Battlefield area.

mm Sep 3rd, 2003 05:42 AM

Yo zootsi: The State House, not the city.

:^)

gmoney Sep 3rd, 2003 07:12 AM

In Florida It is definitely Miami. If you do not speak spanish you are a minority. People to lazy to learn English. Will the last American to leave Miami please bring the flag. It is nothing but an armpit to get past on the way to the keys.

rjw_lgb_ca Sep 3rd, 2003 07:38 AM

So Miami's an armpit because people don't speak English...? That's a pretty specious argument (as well as borderline racist). Is Louisiana the armpit of the US because a lot of the natives speak French?

Miami's a pretty glitzy, happening city these days-- doesn't sound like an armpit to me....

_tHe_hApPy_wAiTeR_ Sep 3rd, 2003 08:06 AM

Would the armpit of the COUNTRY be Crawford, Texas?

Just curious.

rwilliams Sep 3rd, 2003 09:00 AM

If the armpit of the country is Crawford TX, then the CROTCH of the country has to be Hope, Arkansas!!!