Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Arlington Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/arlington-inn-541567/)

bugsy20 Jul 4th, 2005 02:24 PM

Arlington Inn

Has anyone ever stayed at the Arlington Inn in Arlington VT? What was it like and is it worth the price?I will be going to that area in September and would welcome sugesstions.

GLD Jul 4th, 2005 04:30 PM

bugsy20, I've mentioned this before on another post, but I highly recommend the Inn on Covered Bridge Green (www.coveredbridgegreen.com), in Arlington, VT. Then inn was once the home of Norman Rockwell. We stayed in Norman Rockwell's former studio (very large) behind the main house. Prices for the main house are pretty comparable to the Arlington Inn. Even if they weren't, the idea of staying in Norman Rockwell's home is worth the price. The owners Clint & Julia are the most down to earth and charming inn keepers you will ever meet. The Inn is on the Battenkill river, so beautiful and peaceful. Hope this information is helpful.

bugsy20 Jul 5th, 2005 12:10 PM

GLD Thanks for the info. My problem is that I am traveling with a freind and we really need a room with two beds. I think the Rockwell cottage would be to expensive to rent both rooms for two nights. We are traveling over labor Day which is also a Holiday. The other rooms looked to have only one bed. Thanks though.

GLD Jul 5th, 2005 05:27 PM

bugsy20. I understand. We had the same problem. Initially there were 4 of us going, Mom, Dad, Sister & me. Dad got sick before the trip, so sis stayed home with him. I wanted to stay at the inn so much, I decided to go ahead and spend the money for the studio. You know, once in a lifetime and all. For me it was worth it. By the way, I remembered 2 great restaurants in the area. In Arlington: Jonathans Table, casual but very good food (regional meats, fish and vegetables). In Manchester (just up the road), is the Ye Olde Tavern (www.yeoldetavern.com). The food here is also very good. The pot roast is the best I've ever had anywhere. As you can see from their menu, they have alot of choices. Was hard to make a decision, but everyone at the inn said to go for the pot roast. Glad I did. It was wonderful. If you are interested in Norman Rockwell's work, there is a small museum in Arlington. Some of Norman's subjects for his illustrations still live in the Arlington area and act as docents for the musuem. It was fun talking to them and learning how they came to pose for Norman. Hope you have a great trip!

bugsy20 Jul 6th, 2005 02:33 PM

GLD Really thanks for all the information. We are going to be in Arlington for only two nights but have a 5 night stay planned for the Swift House in Middlebury. Any good tips for that area?

GLD Jul 6th, 2005 03:30 PM

bugsy20. WOW, it sounds like you are following our itinerary. Middlebury is a great little college town. We stayed 2 nights at the Swift House Inn. Very nice inn keepers and staff. We had dinner at the inn. Very good food and nice atmosphere. The other night we went to the Fire and Ice restaurant (www.fireandicerestaurant.com). When you go to that website it is for the town of Middlebury. Just scroll down until you see the link to Fire and Ice.
A little pricey, but good food and very interesting decor. While you are in the area, you must visit the Shelburne museum (www.shelburnemuseum.org). This would be an all day trip as it covers several acres. This was one of the highlights of our trip. Also in the Middlebury/Shelburne area is the Vermont Teddy Bear Company. If you go to their website, you can print out a coupon for a free factory tour. We didn't have time to go, but I understand it is a fun place to visit.
Let me know if you have anymore questions. We loved Vermont and are anxious to go back.

bm Jul 6th, 2005 03:56 PM

Middlebury is great. Since you'll have a few nights, I can recommend a couple more restaurants. In Vergennes (15 min north)is the Black Sheep Bistro. Awesome food. Be sure to make a reservation. Also try the Bobcat Cafe in Bristol (15 min NE). The Bobcat is a local gathering spot with excellent food and a good beer selection, including some of their own that they brew right there. AGain, you'll need reservations.
For lunch, go to the A & W Drive-In for a bit of nostalgia. Steve's Park Diner is great for breakfast and lunch.
As for things to do.....drive up Route 125 East toward the Snow Bowl. You'll come across the Bread Loaf Campus of Middlebury College. Nice area to walk around. Also, you'll pass the Robert Frost Nature Trail-A great way to spend an hour or so soaking up the scenery.
Drive up to Charlotte and take the Charlotte-Essex Ferry over to Essex NY and walk around that cute town. Leave your car on the VT side.
As far as Arlington...the Arlington Inn is right in town and looks gorgeous on the outside.
Have fun!

Milo Jul 6th, 2005 04:32 PM

Another suggestion...the West Mountain Inn in Arlington is a favorite of ours. Lovely rooms, beautiful location, good restaurant, and nice owners. An interesting thing to do is a visit to Hildene, the former home of the Lincoln family.

bugsy20 Jul 6th, 2005 07:36 PM

GLD,bm,and Milo, Thank you all for the great information. I am sure my Vermont trip will be wonderful. I have not been there for at least twenty years but it was always one of my favorite states.