Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Arizona vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/arizona-vacation-492338/)

minsperg Dec 26th, 2004 01:18 PM

Arizona vacation

Looking for suggestions on best places to stay in Arizona to enjoy Grand Canyon and Native American sites. Two adults and Two children (16,13). We have about 10 days. Is it best to stay in one place and do day trips or should we move around?Going at the end of June.

utahtea Dec 26th, 2004 03:36 PM

Arizona is a big state and more than likely you would be better off staying in a few locations.

You could explore Wupatki National Monument from the Grand Canyon.

If you are starting your trip in Phoneix you could explore Montezuma's Castle National Monument and Wupatki National Monument on your way to the Grand Canyon.

From the Grand Canyon I would suggest going to Monument Valley Tribal Park on the Arizona - Utah border near Goulding, Utah

From there head south to Canyon de Chelly National Park. Take the half day or all day tour with a Navajo guide. The is only one hike into the canyon without a Navajo guide. If you really want to see the canyon you need to book a tour or hire a guide. There are many ruins in the canyon.

Head south from there and you might like seeing the Hubbell Trading Post National Historic Site near Ganado, AZ. From there head south again to I-40. Heading east on I-40 there is the Painted Desert and Petrified National Park.

If you've ever heard the Eagles song "Standing on the corner in Winslow, AZ" then this would be the time to stop and stand on the corner!

Just before you reach Flagstaff, AZ is Walnut Canyon National Monument.

I would suggest staying at or near these 4 locations: Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly and the Petrifed Forest and maybe Sedona on the way back to Phoenix.

This route is about 900 miles so to stay in one or even two locations would mean a lot of back tracking.

Utahtea

lbaboyd Jan 9th, 2005 12:07 PM

Listen to utahtea. We followed his advice last fall and he was right on. Geat sites to visit! The only factor that we can't speak to is how your kids might relate to each place. These are fascinating and interesting sites, but not necessarily entertaining. You know your kids interests best, but you might keep looking for inputs from those who traveled with kids in these parts.

utahtea Jan 9th, 2005 02:04 PM

Hehehe...I'm a she #o

Yes, A lot will depend on the interest of the children. Our two boys loved the southwest. Once in a while they would get tired of an area, but on the whole they loved it...loved it enought to want to go back once they were married and on their own.

Utahtea

bigtyke Jan 9th, 2005 06:38 PM

Staying in Flagstaff is a good start. From there you can make day trips to Wupatki/Sunset Crater, Walnut Canyon, Montezuma's Castle (and Well - my favorite), and Tuzigoot. You could also make a day trip to the Grand Canyon, depending on how long you would be staying there.

lbaboyd Jan 12th, 2005 07:48 PM

Utahtea, Thanks for straightening me out. :-O Not real sure how I presumed you to be a male, like me. How does one go about making it up for this kind of a blunder? I'm sure you're the understanding kind, but if you ever get to Austin, we'd love to take you out for some true Tex-Mex food. Just email us in advance. We owe you that much and more for your great advice in laying out our trip out west last fall.